James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Best Language Exchange/Chat Sites

Postby James29 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:36 pm

What are the best current sites for chatting with people in your target language? I have not done this for a very long time and would like to start again. Back in the day I used to like Sharedtalk. It has since disappeared. My schedule is such that I am looking for a place where I can simply log in and chat with someone who is also online. The sites I have searched recently seem to have so few members that there is nobody online. I don't want to have to coordinate a chat session. I'd like to just go to the site and start chatting with someone when I have free time. Also, I hope it is not asking too much, but I'd prefer a fee site. Spanish is my target language. Where are the best placed nowadays for finding language partners?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Best Language Exchange/Chat Sites

Postby rdearman » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:29 pm

This site is also gone, but has a long list of alternatives listed if you scroll down the page.

https://hellolingo.com/
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:39 am

I'm looking for the same. It would be helpful if anyone who has any experience with any of these sites could comment on what it was like, things to look for, pitfalls to avoid, etc.

EDIT I've looked at a few that were linked from the Hello Lingo website, and some of them seem a bit dodgy. For example, I signed up on Speaky.com and within a minute there was a message from someone telling me they're naked (that's as far as I read). On Easy Language Exchange loads of people put German as their native language as well as the language they're learning. The Mixxer seems okay, more so since it it run by a college rather than as a business. But clearly advice from anyone who has successfully done language exchanges would be helpful.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:39 pm

jeffers wrote:I'm looking for the same. It would be helpful if anyone who has any experience with any of these sites could comment on what it was like, things to look for, pitfalls to avoid, etc.

EDIT I've looked at a few that were linked from the Hello Lingo website, and some of them seem a bit dodgy. For example, I signed up on Speaky.com and within a minute there was a message from someone telling me they're naked (that's as far as I read). On Easy Language Exchange loads of people put German as their native language as well as the language they're learning. The Mixxer seems okay, more so since it it run by a college rather than as a business. But clearly advice from anyone who has successfully done language exchanges would be helpful.

I've done a couple of language exchanges (couple of hundred actually) and the best two sites for language exchanges I found are:
The mixer (which you already know)
and
Conversation Exchange

Many people recommend the Tandem App.

The OP wasn't looking for scheduled language exchanges.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:48 am

rdearman wrote:The OP wasn't looking for scheduled language exchanges.

That's true, but this was the most relevant title that a search brought up, the title is broader, and so it would be useful to widen the discussion.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

wheresmycookie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Adv), Mandarin (HSK2)

Postby wheresmycookie » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:26 pm

James29 wrote:What are the best current sites for chatting with people in your target language? I have not done this for a very long time and would like to start again. Back in the day I used to like Sharedtalk. It has since disappeared. My schedule is such that I am looking for a place where I can simply log in and chat with someone who is also online. The sites I have searched recently seem to have so few members that there is nobody online. I don't want to have to coordinate a chat session. I'd like to just go to the site and start chatting with someone when I have free time. Also, I hope it is not asking too much, but I'd prefer a fee site. Spanish is my target language. Where are the best placed nowadays for finding language partners?

Hi James29, looks like you got a handful of suggestions here. I was curious if you ended up using any of these apps. Did you find what you were looking for? I'm looking for a similar kind of app and will give these ones a try later on.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”