Korean podcasts sorted by difficulty (plus experimental web player)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Korean podcasts sorted by difficulty (plus experimental web player)

Postby ryanheise » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:49 pm

The experimental web player is now working. Enjoy! :-)

I've enabled it only for 3 podcasts since these were the most accurate for analysis. It turns out the analysis works better when the speakers are not speaking or laughing over each other, otherwise the script can't pick up the cues that would indicate the end of a sentence. If you know any more podcasts like that, I can analyze them and add them to the list.

The next step will be to analyze sub-phrases within sentences and add an extra level of splitting, particularly for long sentences. E.g. it might be nice in Korean to add a sub-sentence split after suffixes like "면" and "하고" in longer sentences.

Then, I'd like to do something where if a long sentence has two parts A-B, the player could play it like this:

A
A
B
B
AB
AB

i.e. first repeat each part, then listen to the combined sentence. This is a simpler version of what I was doing in my listening attention span stretching experiment, although maybe I could build the full listening algorithm into it later.

Also, I've already mentioned the analysis is not 100% accurate, and it's made a little worse due to the fact that jumping to exact timestamps in a web player cannot be perfectly exact, so I've added the controls to add padding on the left and right side of each sentence. I tried the same exact sentence detection algorithm on my experimental mobile app, and the accuracy was spot on there, so it's just the nature of the web, although Firefox turns out to be much more accurate than Chrome when I tried it.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Or if you notice any long sentences that you think should have been split, I'd be interested to know where you think it should be split and why, then maybe I can come up with an algorithm that splits it this way.

I'm aware on occasion that sometimes a sentence boundary will go undetected, and you'll hear two sentences connected together. Sometimes there's nothing I can do about this due to the approximate nature of the analysis, but I think once I add sub-sentence splitting, maybe this can double as a failsafe against accidentally missing a sentence boundary. i.e. if the sentence boundary is missed, hopefully it will still be picked up as a sub-phrase split.

Oh, also, you may notice some quirks related to the fact that this is working with a remote mp3 file over the web. When jumping to a timestamp, it can sometimes take time to jump there because it may have to make a new request to the server hosting the mp3. If the mp3 has sufficiently buffered, you won't have that problem.
4 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:01 pm

I just tried out your player and it works extremely well! Thank you so much for making this!
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Postby ryanheise » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:46 pm

Christi wrote:I just tried out your player and it works extremely well! Thank you so much for making this!

Glad you found it useful! Now that the hard work is done, it should be easy to add more customisable playback features. (Meanwhile, I am trying to now get this working for Japanese, but it turns out to my surprise that this was actually a lot easier for Korean.)

ロータス wrote:I must be blind. Where is the link to the 'experimental web player'? I swear I checked all your post here but can't see it x.x

I've added (experimental player enabled) beside each podcast in the original post that enables it, and then if you click on the "listen" link, you should see the player. Note again that I've found Firefox to have the highest accuracy (at least compared to Chrome which is all over the place).
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”