Goodreads

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Re: Goodreads

Postby Ogrim » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:47 pm

I like Goodreads a lot, but I don't visit as often as I would like to - when I do I tend to spend far too much time there :geek: It is a great tool to keep track of your reading and to get tips for new books. I also use it as a reminder of what books I have on my Kindle that I should get around to read - it happens that I buy an e-book for later and then actually forget that I have bought it!

My only criticism of Goodreads is indeed linked to the fact that you cannot choose books by language or indicate in your profile which languages you read in. Overall Goodreads seems very English-language dominated, but maybe because of the variety of languages in my bookshelf, I even get recommendations for books in Turkish and Arabic, which I do not read at all.

By the way, this thread made me log in to Goodreads and lose my lunch hour because I started to update my profile and spend time on searching for some books, which led to other books etc. Dangerous place ;) By the way, my profile is here. Please add me if you wish.

Edit: And thanks for the tips about creating new shelves. I will certainly do that (when I have the time). It is a great idea to sort the books by language- that is also what I do on my Kindle.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Oooh, it'll be interesting to see what everyone is reading so I'm going to add you all. Please feel free to do the same. I read a variety of things in English, Spanish and Italian (mainly English actually but I'm trying to do more target language reading, promise!).
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:59 pm

Pro-tip: you can click stats to find your books from a specific year.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Zireael
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Polish
C2: English
B2: Spanish
Somewhere I don't know: German
Beginner: Arabic, Polish Sign Language
Wanderlusting: Japanese, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=815

Postby Zireael » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:06 pm

I have thousands of books there, either as 'read' or as 'want-to-read'. The latter category is getting progresively smaller because I often log in to tick a book I just finished reading (borrowed from a library) only to see it was a 'want-to-read' :D
GR is bad about Polish books and Polish editions but it even recommended a few Arabic and Chinese books to me since I have huge 'Arabic' and 'The East' bookshelves :)
1 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:49 am

I'm on it, feel free to add me. A lot of Italian and French stuff.

The site is a bit English-centric; I have a few Italian and French contacts who are keen readers and I'd love to be able to see what they're reading, but Goodreads just doesn't seem popular amongst them. There's a similar site that's more popular with Italians that my flatmate showed me, but I can't remember what its name was, and I'm loath to keep track of the same things on more than one site. That said, there are a lot of reviews in different languages, and reading the ones for books I've read or am considering can be a nice bit of practice.
2 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:52 am

garyb wrote:There's a similar site that's more popular with Italians that my flatmate showed me, but I can't remember what its name was, and I'm loath to keep track of the same things on more than one site.

The same goes for Japanese. One popular Japanese site is 読書メーター. But like you I don't want to keep track of my books on multiple sites (plus, that site in turn is so Japan-centred that I wouldn't be able to track my other reading there). The best option for now is GR, and manually adding any books that aren't on it yet.
0 x

Shouko
White Belt
Languages: German (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate),
Polish (???)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1129

Postby Shouko » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm also using goodreads! My two main languages are English and Spanish, but I also read sometimes books in German (my actual native language :lol:).

I don't use it for learning purposes (yet) apart from occasionally writing a review in English, but it helps me to remind myself of all the books I read in Spanish. And it's a great feeling when you see how much you already accomplished to read! 8-)
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:45 am

Another Goodreads user here! I've just sent requests to everyone who posted; my profile is here

I've been adding language resource like Assimil and Living Language to the Goodreads library - a lot of them weren't in it, or didn't have many reviews.
0 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:40 pm

My currently reading shelf is finally less monstrous, as I've added shelves for "slow non-fiction" and "slow collections etc" - essentially, stuff that you can read as slowly as you want. (A key distinction to understand is exclusive vs non-exclusive shelves. An exclusive one is essentially a separate status that isn't to-read, currently reading or read. I'm still going to mark them as read when I'm done. A common use of the feature is creating a shelf for abandoned/gave up)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

extralean
Orange Belt
Languages: English N
French C1
Spanish B2
Italian A2
German A1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1283

Postby extralean » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:22 am

I am also on goodreads, and glad I found this thread. My username is extralean.
0 x
: 53 / 52 53/52 Book Challenge. Reading: Ourania - J.M.G Le Clezio

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”