French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Audacity to Anki query

Postby n_j_f » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi all

Does anyone know of a way to quickly cut and paste from Audacity to Anki Audio field without having to "export audio" or "export selected audio"? I came across a website where someone had mentioned being able to do this, but cut and paste doesn't work. It will make card creation so much more streamlined without having to export first.
Thanks
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Audacity to Anki query

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:13 pm

As far as I know, in Anki you need a file, so no, it isn't possible unless someone has created a specific mod.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:20 pm

In the past i have selected all the sounds i want and do a batch export of them. Then used csv file to do a mass import.

Depends on what you are doing i guess.
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:58 am

My solution is not exactly what you are asking for but it is better than "export audio" or "export selected audio" if you want to make multiple cards from one audio file, which I imagine you do. I use this method to cut short dialogues into, say, a few dozen pieces and then make cards.

The short version of the instructions is: learn to "insert text labels" and use "export multiple". The longer version is below.

Open your file in audacity.
Select the first piece of audio.
Go to tracks menu and add new label (I think that's right, I'm on my phone at present) In any event, the trick is to add a label.
You can type in the actual text into the label if you like. Or copy and paste it into the label if you have a digital transcript. Or just label it number 1 - but it is better to have the text as you will soon see.
Then select the next piece of audio you want and insert label and add text as described above.
Repeat until you have made all the labels you want.
Then go to the file menu and "export multiple". This will create dozens of short audio files for you, each having the name of that section of text.
You then make a card by dragging the audio file into the card. Then copy and paste the name of the audio track from that field into another field and remove the audio tags.

So, this is still pretty labour intensive but a bit better than what you have been doing. It's satisfying when you get to the point where you "export multiple" and it makes all the audio files in an automated fashion. I hope that helps.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”