ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Ear-training to distinguish between Spanish dialects

Postby arthaey » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:53 pm

Does anyone have any resources to recommend for learning to identity where a particular Spanish accent is from?

So far, only the "obvious" things tip me off: "vosotros" and the Spainish ;) Z sound, or the marked y/ll of Argentina, or dropped syllable-final S of the Caribbean region(?). I'd love to fine-tune my perception so I could distinguish between the various Latin American countries better.
0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

彥::Charles
White Belt
Languages: -
中文/Mandarin (native)
English
Language Log: http://www.italki.com/pointsdotsandlines

Re: Ear-training to distinguish between Spanish dialects

Postby 彥::Charles » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:40 pm

I guess this is what you're looking for.... >> catálogo de voces hispánicas on Cervantes.
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:04 pm

彥::Charles wrote:I guess this is what you're looking for.... >> catálogo de voces hispánicas on Cervantes.

Ideally I'm looking for a guide or explanation. But that's a great starting point, so thanks!
0 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:57 am

speakinglatino.com publishes books on the particularities of most (if not all) the Spanish speaking countries. I have not read any of their books, but a couple of them are on my list.

Additionally, Cassell's Colloquial Spanish is a classic resource and in each entry it references the country or region of origin. It is organized like a dictionary. It is a superb resource.
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:10 am

arthaey wrote:the marked y/ll of Argentina, or dropped syllable-final S of the Caribbean region

Uruguay is generally forgotten, but phonetically it seems to share the key features with Argentina. The vocabulary has some differences of course.

I thought dropping the final S (or more precisely replacing it with an h, weaker than j) is common all over Latin America? At least I can guarantee that I've heard commentators from Argentina and Uruguay doing that.

This app/site is supposed to cover all the sounds existing in the different varieties of Spanish :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:20 am

Serpent wrote:I thought dropping the final S (or more precisely replacing it with an h, weaker than j) is common all over Latin America? At least I can guarantee that I've heard commentators from Argentina and Uruguay doing that.

Some of gulf coast Mexico will drop the final S, but in most of the country it's pretty heavily pronounced. Also, a lot of Central America clearly pronounces the final S.

R.
==
1 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:28 am

Serpent wrote:I thought dropping the final S (or more precisely replacing it with an h, weaker than j) is common all over Latin America? At least I can guarantee that I've heard commentators from Argentina and Uruguay doing that.

In some dialects, final S becomes H; in others, it really is dropped entirely. (Or so say some linguistic papers I've skimmed. :))

You're right that it's not just the Caribbean, although I believe it is a common feature of that particular region. Within Mexico, I believe it's much more common for those on the Gulf coast than elsewhere in the country. And while I've heard other dialects do it, I've also heard plenty of Latin American speakers who retain their S's.

So... I guess a dropped S can't be relied on to tell you anything at all. :P

In fact, the first time I encountered the dropped-S accent, I was in Cáceres, Spain, as a high school student. Until I realized what was going on, I was very confused about whether people were using or [i]usted[/u] with me. ;)

Serpent wrote:This app/site is supposed to cover all the sounds existing in the different varieties of Spanish :)

Very cool! Although it still isn't the compare & contrast of dialects that I was hoping for. I'm beginning to wonder if such a resource even exists...
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:41 am

Another distinguishing feature you can look out for appears in some Mexican accents: the reduction of unstressed vowels between two "s" sounds, as in "veces" or "meses," so that the "e" basically disappears and it almost sounds like two "s" sounds in a row.

There is also the diminutive "-ico/-ica" (ratico, momentico), common in Colombia and in some Caribbean countries.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:39 pm

arthaey wrote:So... I guess a dropped S can't be relied on to tell you anything at all. :P

In fact, the first time I encountered the dropped-S accent, I was in Cáceres, Spain, as a high school student. Until I realized what was going on, I was very confused about whether people were using or [i]usted[/u] with me. ;)

Oops awkward wording. I mostly meant that I thought it indicates someone is from Latin America, not that all/most Latin Americans necessarily speak like that. But it also exists in Spain then? :o
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Serpent wrote:But it also exists in Spain then? :o

It definitely exists in southern Spain, very strong in some areas.

R.
==
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”