Cortina Russian and Japanese (FSI Languages database)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Cortina Russian and Japanese (FSI Languages database)

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:49 am

EDIT: Title Updated
This discussion thread was originally launched as an advisory of the submission of the "Cortina Russian" materials to the Indiana University, CeLT, Recorded Materials Archive for hosting on their website, a project that met with success. Subsequently, a similar submission of the "Cortina Japanese" materials was declined by the Indiana University, CeLT. Thereafter, permission was granted for the hosting of both sets of materials on the FSI-Language-Courses database and the title of this discussion was updated so as to better reflect the outcome of these two projects.

Cortina Russian on Celtie? We'll see.
This is simply an advisory to the effect that I have sent an Email to Cortina Learning International and to Indiana University, Centre for Language Technology, Recorded Materials Archive informing them that I have a PDF copy of the textbook Cortina Conversational Russian in 20 Lessons as well as an MP3 copy of the audio recordings (re-recorded), that I would like to submit for inclusion in the Recorded Materials Archive, subject to the permission of Cortina Learning International. I have requested that these organisations communicate with one another on this matter and I have offered to provide the files to both parties.

Background
First, I would note that Cortina ceased publishing their Russian course many years ago and that, in response to a written enquiry of mine from late last year, they advised me that they no longer had copies of the textbook or the audio recordings. Undaunted, I purchased a used copy of the textbook via Amazon. Sometime later, in something of a "non sequitur" series of postings, a fellow HTLAL Forum Member kindly mentioned to me that he had acquired audio files that had been "re-recorded" to accompany the textbook, by unknown persons, circa 1971. Chat-chat-chat, Email-Email-Email, and I acquired a set of the files. And, sometime afterwards, memo to self: Speakeasy, you idiot! Get these things on the Celtie website!
Last edited by Speakeasy on Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Re: Cortina Conversational Russian in 20 Lessons

Postby n_j_f » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:04 pm

After purchasing the French and German courses in 2013, I recently purchased all of the courses from Cortina - including the Spanish course - as there was some talk about them going out of business. In fact, I ended up paying for two copies each of the Spanish and Italian course due to a problem with their on-line ordering that I couldn't get a refund on, but that's another story!

I have reviewed the Russian course and I was trying to get audio for it. I contacted Cortina directly and was told that there was never audio recorded but I know from other people this is not correct. It would be fantastic if Cortina allowed your audio files to be shared as it would be a shame if this course was left to fade into obscurity.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Hello n_j_f,

I read your comments with interest. As it happens, I have the BOTH the "original" and the "re-recorded" audio recordings for the Cortina Russian course. The former were, indeed, produced by Cortina, despite what their personnel report. I suspect that their archives simply do not reflect this. I offered CELTIE the "re-recorded" audio because the "original" audio includes the only dialogues and does not include the exercise materials in the textbook, whereas the "re-recorded" audio does.

PS: I have sent you a Private Message.
0 x

n_j_f
Orange Belt

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Speakeasy, I got the notification re: your PM
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Update-1
Having not yet received a reply to my original Email, I have just sent a gentle reminder to Cortina International and to Indiana University requesting that they agree to the posting of the "legacy" language course "Cortina Russian" on Celtie. Their continued silence does not bode well.
0 x

n_j_f
Orange Belt

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:

Postby n_j_f » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Just on the topic of "Conversation Russian", would anyone know the ISBN or any other details for the edition that is reviewed by Prof. Arguelles in his YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP0S15g6K-Q
I have a bit of a book fetish and this edition will fit in nicely with my collection.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:31 pm

Cortina Russian Textbook
Last year, in a private exchange of Emails, a fellow HTLAL member told me that he had three different copies of the Cortina Russian book, ranging from 1951 through 1964, all entitled “Cortina’s Russian in 20 Lessons”. As far as he could see, they are identical in terms of text and pagination. For example, they all make reference to the pronunciation record on pg. 195. He noticed some minor differences, but that they are subtle and of no real moment in terms of what the books contains. He mentioned that the 1951 (1st) edition is smaller in thickness because it uses thinner, nicer, and noticeably whiter paper. Also, it is the only one that has the “Cortina Conversaphone Language System” logo on the title page. He noted that the 1964 (5th) edition has nice line drawings, red in colour, scattered throughout the text, and added that the little line drawings do make for a nicer text, but it seems to be a toss-up between the whiter, nicer paper in the 1st edition and the nicely illustrated 5th edition. My copy of Cortina Russian is the 1957 (3rd) edition and seems to have the same jacket cover and text as the one reviewed in Professor Arguelles' video; however, that can be misleading, particularly given the comments of our fellow HTLAL member. There is no ISBN number on my edition. There are several editions available via Amazon, AbeBooks, Alibris, etcetera. However, since these are invariably offered by smaller bookstores who offer their wares via the larger online retailers and, since their older editions are not always compatible with the online retailers' coding systems, it is possible that one can order one edition and receive another. In my experience, the smaller bookstores are being neither negligent nor deceptive, it is simply how the system works.

Cortina Russian Audio Recordings
Although Cortina's staff advised that the company did not produce audio recordings to accompany their Russian course, the HTLAL member with whom I corresponded told me that he had purchased the original 78 rpm records on EBay. At the time, Cortina referred to these records as the “Cortina Conversaphone Language System”. These would be the "original" recordings to which I referred in my original post. There is still at least one offer on EBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORTINA-ACADEMY ... 58c59a8a78
The second set of recordings that I have were, according to sources on the Internet, "re-recorded" circa 1971. The identity of the persons/organisations are unknown to me. The speaking roles in the textbook, both male and female, were recorded by a woman, apparently a non-professionally-voice-trained native-speaker. While the sound quality is not up to the standards of most commercial recordings, these "re-recorded" files contain all of the exercises and vocabulary lists that are absent in the "original" recordings, thereby making them much more useful. It is my hope that Cortina International will authorise the Indiana University to post both sets of recordings on their Celtie website.

Update-2
Late yesterday, I received an Email reply from the President of Cortina International requesting more information and she advised that she would be communicating directly with the Indiana University. So, perhaps the "light at the end of the tunnel" is not an on-coming train, after all.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Update-3
I am pleased to advise that Ms. Magdalen Livesey, President, Cortina Learning International, Inc., has kindly endorsed the proposal that the audio recordings of the language course “Cortina Conversational Russian in 20 Lessons” be hosted on the Celtie website. I have sent an Email to the Indiana University, Centre for Language Technology, Recorded Materials Archive requesting that someone from their organisation communicate with me so that we might arrange for a transfer of the files.
7 x

pir
Orange Belt
Languages: Groks fluently: English, German
Dutch (C2~)
Swedish (B2~ on hold)
Romanian (B1~ on hold)
Swahili, Wolof, Esperanto, Russian (A1 on hold)
Studies: French (B1~), Japanese (A1), Spanish (A0)
~ means ++passive than active knowledge.

Corrections: YES!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1132

Postby pir » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:46 pm

That is so awesome of you! If I could click that heart fifty times, I'd be doing it right now.

Nice of Cortina that they agreed, too, of course. But without you putting in all that effort it would have never happened.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:12 am

@pir,
Thank you for the encouragement and most particularly for the sound advice concerning my other quixotic project. Coming back to Cortina, the Email that I received stated:

I would be happy to give permission for these materials to be reproduced on the Indiana University website. Please let me know when you hear back from them. I wonder if they would be interested in any of our other languages. I look forward to hearing from you again.
UNQUOTE

NOTE: The italics in the above text are mine.

Hmm...!
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”