Seeking Norwegian Dictionary with IPA (phonetic transcription)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Re: Seeking Norwegian Dictionary with IPA (phonetic transcription)

Postby tractor » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:07 am

tungemål wrote:As for tones (pitch accent), I haven't seen any dictionary indicating this.

I'm not 100 % sure about this, but I think that the paper editions of Bokmålsordboka and Nynorskordboka indicate pitch for some of the words.

Edit: The Norwegian–English dictionary by Einar Haugen indicates tones.
Last edited by tractor on Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:42 am

Interesting...

I just finished a study session going over the phonetics again of Norwegian (based on a common Oslo accent, as most courses would be) and although, the phonetics look clearly like eventually they will stick, as with any new language, I must say that the tone system looks scary. Couple that with stress and it's certainly a developing area of my brain that will get a workout. Look out dementia/ alzheimers, here I don't come! :lol:

Perhaps when I first started learning Dutch the short and long vowel system maybe scared me a little (actually I don't think it did from memory, shhhh!) Here's hoping, in due course this will all look like fretting over a Norwegian nothing of sorts. :?
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:25 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Another problem is, who is imitating the pronunciation? It's not only subjective but also depends on where the one who is imitating the pronunciation comes from. Should I assume and imagine I am originally from London or from New York when I'm trying to pronounce foreign words represented with such a system?

Well, I would've realised, had I read the section on pronunciation in the Berlitz EN-NO-EN dictionary I mentioned, that the imitated pronunciation is based on Standard British pronunciation taking into account General American pronunciation as well. Guess that counts for something. I did come across on amazon.fr a version of this very same yellow Berlitz dictionary in FR-NO-FR (as opposed to the EN-NO-EN one mentioned).

tractor wrote:Traditionally, most bilingual Norwegian dictionaries have been made for Norwegians learning the foreign language, not for foreigners learning Norwegian. That's probably the reason why they usually don't have phonetic spelling for Norwegian words. I don't know if that has changed in recent years with increased immigration.

On that note I came across an old thread on a random French forum in which French people are discussing the best FR-NO-FR dictionaries out there and one issue seems to be that gender is often not included in these dictionaries for the Norwegian words as it appears the dictionaries had been developed mainly for Norwegian people learning French and not vice-versa, similar to what you mentioned above, tractor.
------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems a good Norwegian dictionary requires several things-
* A decent number of entries, of course.
* IPA preferably, or the inferior alternative- an imitated pronunciation guide
* Tone

To have them all seems a little rare.
0 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Haugen will actually give you most of that: a decent number of entries, gender, stress and tone.

After all, that's one of the few Norwegian dictionaries has been made primarily as a tool for learning Norwegian, not the other way around.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:04 pm

tractor wrote:Haugen will actually give you most of that: a decent number of entries, gender, stress and tone.

After all, that's one of the few Norwegian dictionaries has been made primarily as a tool for learning Norwegian, not the other way around.

Indeed. It appears to be a very decent dictionary. And the indicated pronunciation system appears pretty decent. Some reviewers do complain of the small print and the difficulty of reading the entries, but on the whole most speak highly of it.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:14 pm

tungemål and tractor, you both referenced a number of dictionaries which I tried locating on the internet by their titles; however, as I am not at all familiar with the Norwegian language, I was unsure which of the 25,000,000 links that Google proposed would be the most appropriate for inclusion in the recently-published “Norwegian Resources (version 2.01)” thread. So that I might include your suggestions in the list of dictionaries, could you please provide the links? Here are the titles (I think :? ):

fornorskningstillegg
bokmål–nynorsk ordliste
Nynorsk ordliste
Med andre ord. Den store synonymordboka med omsetjingar til nynorsk
Bokmålsordboka
Nynorskordboka

Thank you very much.
1 x

tractor
Green Belt

Postby tractor » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:26 pm

Speakeasy wrote:tungemål and tractor, you both referenced a number of dictionaries which I tried locating on the internet by their titles; however, as I am not at all familiar with the Norwegian language, I was unsure which of the 25,000,000 links that Google proposed would be the most appropriate for inclusion in the recently-published “Norwegian Resources (version 2.01)” thread. So that I might include your suggestions in the list of dictionaries, could you please provide the links? Here are the titles (I think :? ):

fornorskningstillegg
bokmål–nynorsk ordliste
Nynorsk ordliste

An ordliste (= word list) is a small orthographic dictionary. They are used by schoolchildren, or at least they used to be. A list of those officially approved can be found here:
https://www.sprakradet.no/sprakhjelp/Sk ... skulebruk/

Those made for Nynorsk will usually contain a small appendix with a Bokmål-Nynorsk vocabulary, often called a fornorskningstillegg.

Probably not very useful for most learners.

Speakeasy wrote:Med andre ord. Den store synonymordboka med omsetjingar til nynorsk

https://samlaget.no/products/med-andre-ord

Probably not worth the money for most learners.

Speakeasy wrote: Bokmålsordboka
Nynorskordboka

Both of these dictionaries are available online:
https://ordbok.uib.no/

Also available as apps for iOS and Android and as printed dictionaries.
Last edited by tractor on Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:34 pm

tractor wrote: ...
Thank you very much, I have updated the "Norwegian Resources (version 2.01)" file.
1 x

tractor
Green Belt

Postby tractor » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:15 am

Iversen wrote:. By the way, I have been searching for a good something ---> New Norwegian dictionary, both on paper and on the internet (even Bokmål -> Nonorsk would be OK), but it has been difficult to find one. I'm less interested in monolingual dictionaries.

Happy new year!

I came across this article: “Nynorsk ordbokshistorie - eit oversyn” by Lars S. Vikør,
https://www.ntnu.no/ojs/index.php/DKNVS ... /1314/1219

It contains lists of almost every Nynorsk dictionary ever published.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:49 pm

... and to boot, it's written in nynorsk

Actually I have downloaded the old one by Aasen long time ago by saving screendumps of each page (long and tedious process), but it seems to be quite outdated. And the only other item I have got on paper is the appendix to the "Norsk Dansk Ordbog" from Paludan (5. edition).
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”