Re: Persian (Farsi, Dari, Tajik) Resources (version 2.01)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Although it appears that I wasted my time in preparing the above lists of resources, with a view to reassuring you, I would point out that I took the time to read through the publishers’ descriptions where these were available as well as all of the comments posted by Amazon Customers, I viewed all of the Amazon “Look Inside” previews, I conducted a visual survey of all of the PDFs of the legacy materials, I made a quick tour of the online courses, and I read through every one of the HTLAL and LLORG discussion threads for which I provided the links above. I came to the conclusion that there are many high-quality materials which would meet the needs of the average, albeit astute and self-motivated, independent language learner.

I didn't mean to imply that you had wasted your time - you clearly put a lot more into this project than I did or would have.

I regret that there seems to be so little amongst the items listed above which might appeal to a particularly serious and exacting student such as yourself. Nevertheless, beyond your own short list, are you certain that there is absolutely nothing in the offerings above which you might recommend to other members of the forum?

I do think that someone with even the slightest acumen could make good use of one or any of the Persian courses that uses one of these flawed methods, however I just find that the publishers have done a disservice and will cause the learner to have to work that much harder.

That said, it's not that I wouldn't recommend any of the others, it's that I can't because I stopped surveying courses. I will have a look at some - particularly the U Michigan ones which another forum member recommended, and provide appraisals as I get time over the coming winter break.
0 x

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Postby Gordafarin2 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:44 am

Vaaai, dastetun dard nakone, Speakeasy, for compiling this incredible resource. Being spoilt for choice when I look for Spanish or Chinese study materials, I sometimes feel like good material for Persian is impossible to find. This very comprehensive list is a great reminder that there is plenty, if you know where to look.

@David1917 -
2) Present in Persian script, but reflecting certain colloquial pronunciation. It is the equivalent of teaching English with "don'tcha" "wouldja" "gonna" etc. Yes, some people revert to these spellings in casual writing; or as a literary device to portray how someone spoke. In spoken Persian, some endings will get dropped and "-ast" might just be "-eh." This would be a helpful footnote (as it is in a good work like Mace's Teach Yourself Modern Persian,) but in others like the newest Colloquial, it predominates.

This is a very interesting perspective, because my learning experience was totally the opposite. I started learning Persian in a university class, and was only and only taught the formal language. Towards the end of our second year, we looked at a very simple song, and I was taken aback to discover I could barely understand a single word. The Persian that I had been learning didn't at all resemble how people actually speak!

That class left me totally unprepared for actually talking with Iranians. I wanted to watch films, converse with people, chat online - and I hadn't even known that اگه یه روز بری سفر meant اگر یک روز به سفر بروی

It's all about your goals... If your learning is focused on reading, or listening to the news, or poetry, then naturally you want to focus on the formal language. But it you want to watch film or TV, participate in the Iranian internet, or understand what someone says to you - you need to know and practice the shortenings and sound/grammar changes of everyday speech.

Different strokes for different folks! And balance is important - if one learns only the spoken language and then is totally puzzled by formal Persian, that's a rotten situation too.

(But personally, if a book called Colloquial Persian didn't teach the spoken language, I would consider it poorly named indeed ;) )
2 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

David1917
Blue Belt
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:20 am

Gordafarin2 wrote:@David1917 -
2) Present in Persian script, but reflecting certain colloquial pronunciation. It is the equivalent of teaching English with "don'tcha" "wouldja" "gonna" etc. Yes, some people revert to these spellings in casual writing; or as a literary device to portray how someone spoke. In spoken Persian, some endings will get dropped and "-ast" might just be "-eh." This would be a helpful footnote (as it is in a good work like Mace's Teach Yourself Modern Persian,) but in others like the newest Colloquial, it predominates.

This is a very interesting perspective, because my learning experience was totally the opposite. I started learning Persian in a university class, and was only and only taught the formal language. Towards the end of our second year, we looked at a very simple song, and I was taken aback to discover I could barely understand a single word. The Persian that I had been learning didn't at all resemble how people actually speak!

That class left me totally unprepared for actually talking with Iranians. I wanted to watch films, converse with people, chat online - and I hadn't even known that اگه یه روز بری سفر meant اگر یک روز به سفر بروی

It's all about your goals... If your learning is focused on reading, or listening to the news, or poetry, then naturally you want to focus on the formal language. But it you want to watch film or TV, participate in the Iranian internet, or understand what someone says to you - you need to know and practice the shortenings and sound/grammar changes of everyday speech.

I think the gulf between the spoken and written language is not that much more complex than in any other. I think an ideal Persian course (book or classroom) would have the written form used throughout, and each chapter would have 1) a literary/news type passage, with the audio component reflecting that form of speech and b) a dialogue, where the audio component would reflect conversation (but the writing in the book would still be "proper" e.g. است would still be printed, despite only vocalized as "eh")

What my big problem is, is that despite pronouncing Iran Irūn, nobody would ever write ایرون which I have seen in some books. I mean, French orthography barely reflects its spoken language, but we still learn it!

Finally, I wonder how different your learning curve with spoken Persian would have been without having the skeleton of the formal language to plug it into.
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:00 am

Asian Languages Reading Level Rated Children’s Books
Pinecone wrote:I was introduced to Let's Read: Asia's Free Digital Library for Children today. It has digital children's books in the following languages … Dari (دری) …[inserted: amongst numerous others]
Asian Languages Reading Level Rated Children’s Books
0 x

varitekkers
Languages: English (N), French (C2), Arabic (B2), Persian (B2), Spanish (reading), German (A1), Hindi (A0)

Postby varitekkers » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi! This is my first-ever post in this forum so please let me know if I should be doing something differently. I thought I’d gather some of my favorite resources for learning Persian here. I’ve been learning Persian for about three years and it’s a fantastic language to learn but it can be a bit hard to find resources.

Dictionaries:
Books
Grammars:
    Basic Persian Grammar and Workbook (highly recommend)
    Intermediate Persian Grammar and Workbook
    Persian Comprehensive Grammar
Beginners:
My favorites are Assimil Persian (this is unfortunately only available in French) and Teach Yourself Modern Persian (Narguess Farzad).
Other textbooks that I’ve used but not as extensively would be Manuel de Persan from Inalco (this is focused on spoken Persian) and Persian in Use (Sedighi), Persian of Iran today Vol. 1
Intermediate:
This is where it gets tougher to find resources. It doesn’t take too long to learn the Persian grammar you need to read and watch stuff but the vocab lags behind. For example, you’ll likely have the grammar you need to read a news article but only know half the words. What I did at this stage was to read a lot and watch a ton of movies (either American movies I had seen but dubbed in Persian or Iranian movies with English subtitles) and I used Anki super hardcore for a few months to learn these words and expressions. After that I could watch movies and read news articles much more easily and I relied much, much, less on SRS and focused on getting as much input as possible. That said, if you’d still like to use books there’s a few options:
    Routledge Intermediate Persian Course
    Persian Fiction Reader (Hillmann)
    Pour se perfectionner en Persan (this is in French and English)
    Learning Persian Vocabulary (Intermediate)
    Persian of Iran Today Vol. 2
    Lectures Persanes (Inalco) – I used this a lot, it’s a bilingual reader (French/Persian) with list of most important vocab and explanations of the work’s context, author’s background, and key linguistic features of the text.
    Persian Conversations (Hillmann) - you can download chapters on his Academia.edu page https://independentscholar.academia.edu/MichaelHillmann
Dari:
    Manuel du person parlé au Afghanistan (Inalco)
    Dari: An Elementary Textbook (Georgetown press)
    DLI Dari
Tajiki:
    Tajiki an Elementary Textbook (Vol 1 & 2)
Websites for Persian learners:
Persian-language websites/newspapers:
Movies/TV shows
I generally have preferred Iranian movies to Iranian TV shows. If you’re interested in TV, I’d recommend Gheseha-ye Majid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdtn-grBQy4&list=PLcXjiSZtdnTfoHVei9MwKF4bqB18lLP5q and Tolo TV (Afghanistan) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqhY2i3JiRK0mZIUXP0CoQw
Telewebion will let you watch a large number of Iranian TV channels live.
Iranian movies are a great way to learn Persian! What I used to do was to focus on one five- or ten-minute clip and used the English subtitles to translate each of the words and expressions. After a few months of doing that, I found my level had really improved and I started watching movies just for enjoyment and passive input. Here are two Letterboxd lists that can help you find stuff you enjoy: https://letterboxd.com/yasminej/list/iran/ https://letterboxd.com/rta/list/iran-films-that-matter/
IMVBox and FilmFarsi on Youtube have a lot of movies, generally if you look up a title on Youtube you’ll often be able to find the movie there (Iranian copyright isn’t respected in the US and vice versa).
Tajiki sites/tv:

This is far from comprehensive but it’s a good start. Please feel free to message me if you’re learning Persian and have questions or if you’re a Persian speaker looking for a language exchange!
18 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:29 am

What happened to the first post in this thread?
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:14 am

I'm pretty sure that the OP deleted the post.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:42 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I'm pretty sure that the OP deleted the post.

I now understand a little of the back-story. Too bad.

I'll collect my own list of resources, and if I get it organized a bit, I'll share it here.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Persian Resources Available on ERIC

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:12 pm

I've been doing some searching and found a list of resources over at ERIC.
I've organized them properly below.

Persian Resources Available on ERIC (mp3 can be found on the Yorik, etc. sites for some of these)

FSI
FSI Persian Basic Course: Units 1-12.
Obolensky, Serge; And Others – 1963
This basic course in Persian concentrates on the spoken language, illustrated by conversation based on everyday situations. After a thorough grounding in pronunciation and in basic grammatical features, the student is introduced to the writing system of Persian. Some of the basic differences between spoken and written styles are explained.…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED053628.pdf

DLI
Persian Basic Course: Volume I, Lesson 1-18.
Defense Language Inst., Monterey, CA. – 1966
The first of 10 volumes of a basic course in Persian is presented that is designed for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive programs. The course, employing the audiolingual methodology, is designed to train native English speakers to level three proficiency in comprehension and speaking and level two proficiency in reading and writing…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185847.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Volume II, Lessons 19-28.
Defense Language Inst., Monterey, CA. – 1960
The second of 10 volumes of a basic course in Persian is presented that is designed for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive programs for native English speakers. The central feature of the daily lesson is the structured dialogue, which systematically incorporates a number of grammatical features. Grammar is not explained through…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185848.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Volume III, Lessons 29-38.
The third of 10 volumes of a basic course in Persian is presented that is designed for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive programs for native English speakers. The central feature of the daily lesson is the structured dialogue, which systematically incorporates a number of grammatical features. Grammar is not explained through…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185849.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Supplement to Volume III. Structural Drills for Lessons 29-38.
A supplement to volume three of a basic course in Persian is presented that is designed for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive programs for native English speakers. This volume contains structural drills for lessons 29-38. (SW)
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185850.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Volumes I-III, IPA Supplement.
Defense Language Inst., Monterey, CA. – 1970
A supplement is presented to volumes one, two, and three of a basic course in Persian that is designed for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive programs for native English speakers. Part one introduces the student to a phonemic transcription which is derived from the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). Part two applies the modified…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185851.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Volume IV, Lessons 39-52.
Defense Language Inst., Monterey, CA. – 1965
The fourth of 10 volumes of a basic course in Persian is presented that is designed for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive programs for native English speakers. The central feature of the daily lesson is the structured dialogue, which systematically incorporates a number of grammatical features. Grammar is not explained through…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185852.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Volume V, Lessons 53-64.
Defense Language Inst., Monterey, CA. – 1965
The fifth of 10 volumes of a basic course in Persian is presented that is designed for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive programs for native English speakers. The central feature of the daily lesson is the structured dialogue, which systematically incorporates a number of grammatical features. Grammar is not explained through…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185853.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Volume VI, Lessons 65-76.
The sixth of 10 volumes of a basic course in Persian is presented that is designed for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive programs for native English speakers. This volume is, for the most part, a continuation of the material and methods presented in volume five. The central feature of the daily lesson is the structured dialogue in…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185854.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Volume VII, Lessons 77-88.
The seventh of 10 volumes of a basic course in Persian is presented that is designed for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive programs for native English speakers. The central feature of the daily lesson is the structured dialogue in which a number of grammatical features are systematically incorporated in a daily situation. Each…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185855.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Volume VIII, Lessons 89-100.
The eighth of 10 volumes of a basic course in Persian is presented that is designed for use in the Defense Language Institute's intensive programs for native English speakers. This is the last book of the structural phase of the basic course series. Each lesson begins with a series of perception drill patterns to be used extensively prior to the…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185856.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Volume IX, Reader. Let's All Live Better.
Defense Language Inst., Monterey, CA. – 1967
An advanced reading text designed for use with a basic course in Persian offered by the Defense Language Institute is presented. The course is an intensive program for native English speakers. The book, which is an adaptation of material originally developed in Iran, is used when the students have completed volumes one to eight. The material is…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185857.pdf

Persian Basic Course: Persian-English Glossary and Notes for Advanced Reading.
Defense Language Inst., Monterey, CA. – 1967
A glossary and notes that accompany an advanced reading text for a basic course in Persian are presented. The course is an intensive program for native English speakers offered by the Defense Language Institute. Idiomatic phrases and sentence structures are explained and special grammar and cultural notes are included. A number of lexical items…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED185859.pdf

Persian: Basic Course. A Guide to Persian Reading and Writing.
This supplemental volume to the Persian instructional materials of the Defense Language Institute provides practice in writing and recognizing Persian letters and words. (JB)
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED192535.pdf (avoid, better material available)

Other Persian/Dari material on ERIC

A Metafunctional Approach to Word Order in Persian Language
Author: Farshbafian, Ahmad; Safaei Asl, Esmaeil – Journal of Language and Linguistic Studies, 2021
Within the framework of the systematic functional grammar (SFG), Matthiessen (2004) has provided an analysis of the word/element order according to which word/element order in a clause is decided by experiential, interpersonal and textual metafunctions. In this study which has been conducted aiming at the description and analysis of the…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1288213.pdf

A Comparative Study on Basic Emotion Conceptual Metaphors in English and Persian Literary Texts
Mashak, Shahrzad Pirzad; Pazhakh, Abdolreza; Hayati, Abdolmajid – International Education Studies, 2012
Metaphor becomes the subject of interest for many researchers in recent decades. The main purpose of the present study was to investigate the universality of emotion metaphorical conceptualization and the dominant pattern in English and Persian based on Kovecses's (2003) model for Linguistic expression of Metaphor. The emotions under study were…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1066772.pdf

Contrastive Analysis of Sentence Patterns in English and Persian
Hajizadeh, Reza – Online Submission, 2011
Complements, adjuncts and predicator are the three main elements of the clause structure. This paper primarily aims at presenting a general classification of clause structure in Persian. In this context, transitive and intransitive structures in Modern Persian are also analyzed. In this research, five canonical Persian constructions are identified…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED523920.pdf

Spoken Dari. Preliminary Edition.
Latify, A. Hafiz – 1980
This book contains the core of the Dari language instructional program developed by the Foreign Service Institute. Most of the sentences and exercises in the lessons are presented in the Persian script; the spelling represents the actual pronunciation of colloquial Dari. Each lesson includes a set of basic sentences and drills, vocabulary lists,…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED202204.pdf

Conversational Dari: An Introductory Course in Dari (=Farsi=Persian) As Spoken in Afghanistan.
Glassman, Eugene H. – 1971
This course in Dari, also known as Farsi or Persian, concentrates on development of conversational skills. Twenty-five lessons, reflecting current linguistic theories of language learning, include pronunciation drills, grammar study, vocabulary development, and exercises. Appendixes contain 14 sections of cultural material concerning Afghan social…
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED067955.pdf

I've downloaded these and put them together in a single zip file. It can be found here: http://moolii.com/downloads/eric_persian_files.zip
5 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:43 am

Cambridge University have a list of (mostly English) books to read for beginners, they also mention some language coursebooks.
    Preparatory Reading - Persian

Key Texts
      Edward G. Browne, A Year Amongst the Persians (Adam and Charles Black, 1893)
      Roy P. Mottahedeh, The Mantle of the Prophet: Religion and Politics in Iran, Second edition (Oneworld, 2000)
      Iraj Pezeshkzad, My Uncle Napoleon: A Novel, trans. Dick Davis (Mage Publishers, 1996)

General
      R. Yann, Shi’ite Islam: polity, ideology and creed (Oxford, 1995)
      S. Farman-Farmaian, Daughter of Persia: A Woman's Journey from Her Father's Harem Through the Islamic Revolution (1993)
      A. Ansari, Modern Iran Since 1921 (Harlow, 2003)
      The Ruba’iyat of Omar Khayyam, translated by P. Avery and J. Heath-Stubbs, Penguin Classics (London, 1979)
      Rumi, Spiritual Verses, translated by A. Williams, Penguin Classics (London, 2006)

Language

You are expected to learn the Persian script before you start your course. We recommend that you use:

N. Farzad, Teach Yourself Modern Persian (London, 2004)
      S. Abrahams, Modern Persian, A Course Book (Abingdon, 2005)

You will need a copy of the course book which is:

W.M. Thackston, An Introduction to Persian (repr. 1993)

History
      A. Bausani, The Persians from the Earliest Days to the Twentieth Century (London, 1971)
      E. G. Browne, A Year among the Persians (Cambridge, 1927)
      R. Mottahedeh, The Mantle of the Prophet (London, 1987)
      N. Keddie, Roots of Revolution (New Haven, Conn, 1981)

Literature
      A. J. Arberry, Classical Persian Literature (London, 1958)
      Farid ud-Din Attar, The Conference of the Birds, translated by D. Davis Penguin Classics, (London, 1984)
      Firdowsi, The Legend of Syavush, translated by D. Davis Penguin classics, (London, 1992)
      H. Kamshad, Modern Persian Prose (Cambridge, 1966)
      S. Daneshvar, A Persian Requiem, translated by R. Zand (London, 1991)

--------
They also list some books/films etc in their Language Centre Resources.

--------------------
A levels are exams taken by 18 year olds in the UK. Pearson Education outline their A level course on a PDF, on page 45 of the PDF they list the books/films from the reading list.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”