Best Digital Programs of 2019

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Best Digital Programs of 2019

Postby IronMike » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:19 am

I used a lot of GLOSS. For the record, here's the languages on offer on GLOSS:
Albanian, Arabic, Azeri, Balochi, Chinese-Mandarin, Croatian, Dari, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Kurmanji, (North) Korea, Pashto, Portuguese (Brazilian and European), Punjabi, Russian, Serbian, Somali, Sorani, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Turkmen, Urdu, Uzbek.

What I like about GLOSS is each lesson is a complete, well...lesson. And you can choose the proficiency level (up to ILR level 4!), and the modality (reading or listening), competence and topic. It really is an underused (based on mentions, that is) resource.
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:28 am

Um, er, as the G.L.O.S.S. files fall into the category under discussion, then I would assume that the NFLC and other files presented by IronMike and Zegpoddle do, as well. If not, just ignore me, but not them (IronMike and Zegpoddle)
IronMike: “National Foreign Language Center” October 2017 wrote:I just subscribed to the National Foreign Language Center's portal. I discovered this place with the help of @mcthulhu when I was asking about passage rating.

In the NFLC's own words...

The National Foreign Language Center (NFLC) is dedicated to promoting a language-competent society by developing and disseminating information that informs policy makers. The mission of the NFLC is to improve the capacity of the U.S. to communicate in languages other than English. We implement that mission through intensive and innovative strategic planning and development with globalized institutions, organizations, and enterprises throughout the United States.

Their portal is filled with lessons for dozens of languages (and dialects, esp. Arabic) ranging from Russian to Tongan, Albanian to Wolof. You can drill down in your search based on the proficiency you want to work on (Listening or Reading), the level you want to work on (based on ILR or ACTFL standards), the topic and the objective. For Russian alone there are over 240 lessons!

I checked out one Russian reading assessment and it is reminiscent of not only Joint Language University and some other DLI products, but also similar to the DLPT, which I'll be taking again in December.

The subscription costs $5 a month and can be cancelled anytime (no, I don't get anything for "advertising" for them and I'm not affiliated with them in any way). I figured I'd give it a go at least up until my DLPT, and then maybe stay on.
Zegpoddle: “National Foreign Language Center” January 2019 wrote:Adding a new reply to a very old post:

Here is another way to access materials whose development was funded by the U.S. government: the home page of the U.S. National Foreign Language Resource Centers:

http://www.nflrc.org/

Click on “Meet the LRCs” for a list of 16 different centers, all based at U.S. universities, that focus on different languages and regions. Not all of the centers have information or materials for language learners, but some do, especially for less-commonly-studied languages. Here is some of what I found:

http://bookshelf.nealrc.org/
East Asian Bookshelf
Database of published textbooks and teaching materials in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean

http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/publications/teaching-materials/
List of language-learning materials published by the National Foreign Language Resource Center at the University of Hawaii

http://calper.la.psu.edu/language_teaching_and_learning_materials
Links to various sites and downloads for Korean, Russian, and some other languages

http://iub.edu/~celcar/language.php
Language materials developed by the Center for Languages of the Central Asian Region at Indiana University Bloomington

http://slaviccenters.duke.edu/projects
Duke University Center for Slavic, Eurasian and East European Studies
Learning materials and modules for (mostly) Russian, Ukrainian, and Uzbek

https://nealrc.osu.edu/materials
National East Asian Languages Resource Center at the Ohio State University
Links to some sites containing learning materials for Chinese, Japanese, Korean

http://www.coerll.utexas.edu/coerll/materials/language-learning-materials
Center for Open Educational Resources & Language Learning at Univ. of Texas–Austin
Huge site with free learning resources for many languages
2 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:54 pm

IronMike wrote:I used a lot of GLOSS. For the record, here's the languages on offer on GLOSS:
Albanian, Arabic, Azeri, Balochi, Chinese-Mandarin, Croatian, Dari, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Kurmanji, (North) Korea, Pashto, Portuguese (Brazilian and European), Punjabi, Russian, Serbian, Somali, Sorani, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Turkmen, Urdu, Uzbek.

What I like about GLOSS is each lesson is a complete, well...lesson. And you can choose the proficiency level (up to ILR level 4!), and the modality (reading or listening), competence and topic. It really is an underused (based on mentions, that is) resource.
Speakeasy wrote:Um, er, as the G.L.O.S.S. files fall into the category under discussion, then I would assume that the NFLC and other files presented by IronMike and Zegpoddle do, as well. If not, just ignore me, but not them (IronMike and Zegpoddle)
Are any of these ones you'd recommend? I tried to comb through the threads to find specific ones that folks liked, but I'm sure I missed a lot.
1 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:00 pm

kanewai wrote:
IronMike wrote:I used a lot of GLOSS. For the record, here's the languages on offer on GLOSS:

Speakeasy wrote:Um, er, as the G.L.O.S.S. files fall into the category under discussion, then I would assume that the NFLC and other files presented by IronMike and Zegpoddle do, as well. If not, just ignore me, but not them (IronMike and Zegpoddle)
Are any of these ones you'd recommend? I tried to comb through the threads to find specific ones that folks liked, but I'm sure I missed a lot.

NFLC was nice, but I wasn't using it enough, so dropped it. GLOSS is free. And I'd pay for it. I highly recommend it if you're doing any of those languages.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”