Disney Plus language availability?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Lemus
Orange Belt
Languages: Know: English (N), German (B2), Spanish (B2/C1), Italian, Portuguese
Study (on and off): Persian, Russian

Disney Plus language availability?

Postby Lemus » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone out there had Disney Plus and was able to comment on what the dubbing and subtitle situation was, particularly in the US.

Somewhere I looked online mentioned that a limited number of films and shows were going to be available in 16 languages, although other places I looked indicated that they were just doing four for now (English, Spanish, French, and apparently Dutch) and some older content was going to be just English. That 16 number may just be a plan once global rollout happens in the next few years.

I wasn't planning on adding another subscription service but if that 16 language thing was real that would be quite tempting. Particularly if one of those 16 is Russian, which Netflix is pretty limited with and I was planning on diving into again relatively soon.

Curious if anyone had any (linguistically relevant!) thoughts on the service.
8 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Re: Disney Plus language availability?

Postby Elsa Maria » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:42 pm

I have had Disney Plus for just a few days. I took it with the hopes of enjoying lots of movies with my family over the holidays. Languages would just be a bonus.

So far, I am only somewhat pleased with the streaming service itself. The servers were overloaded on Thanksgiving night, and we were out of luck. It just kept crashing. There seem to be a lot of complaints about crashing apps and connectivity problems.

As for languages, you have to launch the movie or episode and then see what audio or subtitles are available. I don't see any other way to find out. I have done some looking around, and have not seen any Russian. The Dutch selection is robust because Disney used the Netherlands as its test market. Some movies even have both audio and subtitles available in Dutch.

Some countries are due to have Disney Plus on March 31, and subs for those countries are starting to appear. This is according to a Danish blog post, but some of the facts of the blog post turned out to be inaccurate already so I don't know what to think.

Mandalorian, a show that is getting lots of press, probably has the most available. I bet it will keep adding languages. Currently, audio is available in English, German, Spanish (two varieties)French, Italian, Japanese and Polish. Subtitles are available in English, Danish, Dutch, Spanish (two varieties), French, and Italian.
7 x
Corrections are always welcome.

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:12 am

Elsa Maria wrote:Mandalorian, a show that is getting lots of press, probably has the most available. I bet it will keep adding languages. Currently, audio is available in English, German, Spanish (two varieties)French, Italian, Japanese and Polish. Subtitles are available in English, Danish, Dutch, Spanish (two varieties), French, and Italian.

Also, some Galactic Basic in at least the first episode (audio only, no Basic subtitling), though it struck me as heavily accented and hard to follow.
1 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

jackb
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12251

Postby jackb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm

I'm new at this whole language learning thing, but I am pretty happy with the availability of languages. I've mainly watched portions of series and the majority of them have audio in at least 4 languages; English, Spanish (Latin American), French, and 'Netherlands' (Dutch). I'm studying French, so it works for me. Subtitles are more difficult to find. I can't add very much about the quality of the dub or translations.

So far Disney+ is miles ahead of Netflix in this regard.

FYI
Three of the shows I checked were 'Jake and the Neverland Pirates' (2008), 'Star Wars Clone Wars' (2005), and 'Xmen' (1992). I imagine the more popular a show is, the more languages/subtitles it will have. I also suspect the languages availability to be the same for everyone, unless there is a rights conflict.
0 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:43 pm

jackb wrote:I'm new at this whole language learning thing, but I am pretty happy with the availability of languages. I've mainly watched portions of series and the majority of them have audio in at least 4 languages; English, Spanish (Latin American), French, and 'Netherlands' (Dutch). I'm studying French, so it works for me. Subtitles are more difficult to find. I can't add very much about the quality of the dub or translations.

So far Disney+ is miles ahead of Netflix in this regard.

FYI
Three of the shows I checked were 'Jake and the Neverland Pirates' (2008), 'Star Wars Clone Wars' (2005), and 'Xmen' (1992). I imagine the more popular a show is, the more languages/subtitles it will have. I also suspect the languages availability to be the same for everyone, unless there is a rights conflict.

I have Disney+ and, while I admittedly haven't looked very hard, I haven't even seen a way of switching the language or adding subs. I might try sometime, but mostly I want to watch my favourite Disney movies in English right now. :)

But I'm curious: in what way is Disney+ ahead of Netflix with regards to language? I almost never find a show on Netflix that doesn't have French audio/subs as an option (along with several other major languages).
1 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

jackb
Orange Belt

Postby jackb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:15 pm

I rarely find a series I want to watch with french audio (that is not from France) on Netflix. Other than the Good Place, it's a serious struggle. It may be because I am in the US and you are in Canada. I'm looking for shows like Supernatural, The Flash, or The New Girl.

I'm pretty sure these shows have existing French dubs/subs, but they just aren't available on Netflix. Maybe it's related to regional/national licensing. If I'm doing it wrong, please let me know.

On Disney+, almost everything I check seems to have at least French audio.
0 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:04 pm

jackb wrote:I rarely find a series I want to watch with french audio (that is not from France) on Netflix. Other than the Good Place, it's a serious struggle. It may be because I am in the US and you are in Canada. I'm looking for shows like Supernatural, The Flash, or The New Girl.

I'm pretty sure these shows have existing French dubs/subs, but they just aren't available on Netflix. Maybe it's related to regional/national licensing. If I'm doing it wrong, please let me know.

On Disney+, almost everything I check seems to have at least French audio.

Oh, that's interesting. So you're saying that the shows you like are on Netflix in the US, but you're not seeing French audio for them? I wouldn't think that Canada vs. US would make a difference on that. One thing you might try is creating a new Netflix profile, with the language set to French. That makes French the default language for that profile, and will make French more likely to show up in the language options.
0 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

jackb
Orange Belt

Postby jackb » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 am

I’ve tried that, but I’m not sure if I’m seeing more show or just different ones. Some of the shows have a French language preview and synopsis, but French isn’t an option.

I’m trying to find a show that I genuinely like with a large number of episodes and a French dub, but I haven’t been able to do it with Netflix. It seems to be so much easier for me on Disney+.
0 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:29 am

Can report that Elena of Avalor is only available in English, French, Spanish and Dutch. Kid was thrilled because we were going to watch in German if it was an option.... Hopefully German will arrive soon!
1 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:10 pm

How has your Disney Plus experience been from a technical point of view?

I have had a lot of buffering and jerkiness, and I never get that with Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Device management is non-existent. Unlike most other streaming services, there is no way to log out of a device remotely. There is no way to see which devices are currently logged in.
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”