The Language Warehouse: Reseller of DLI courses (1970s - 1990s)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

The Language Warehouse: Reseller of DLI courses (1970s - 1990s)

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:24 pm

The Language Warehouse, Ormand Beach, FL
Earlier today, I came across an offer on eBay for a set of 60 cassettes which had been recorded to accompany this publisher’s self-instructional French course. The course manuals are absent from the package and the vendor cannot provide any additional information about the materials or the publisher. My general Google searches, as well as my specific searches of the offerings on the major online booksellers did not yield any useable results.

French Basic Course
The last cassette in the collection refers to “French Basic Course, Lesson 85, Perception Drills & Dialogs” (please refer to the image below).
The Language Warehouse FRENCH 3.jpg

Language warehouse French lessons Set 60 audio cassettes 85 Lessons – eBay.com
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Language-warehouse-French-lessons-Set-60-audio-cassettes-85-Lessons/133252756937?hash=item1f067bb5c9:g:1EAAAOSw53Rd3Yjx

Audio-lingual method
Given the large number of audio cassettes, the course title (French Basic Course), and the indication of sentence-pattern drills (Perception Drills), it seems fairly evident that this course employed the audio-lingual method of instruction which was quite popular during the period of the 1960’s through the 1970’s. Now then, had a major American publisher, such as Harcourt & Brace, been involved in the production of these materials, it is highly unlikely that they would have operated under such an obscure imprint as The Language Warehouse.

FSI French Basic?
The foregoing caused me to think that these materials were produced as independently-published versions of the FSI French Basic course as had done Audio-Forum, Barrons, and Multilingual Books, to name a few. However, as the FSI French Basic course comprises 24 Units, and this publisher’s French Basic Course comprises 85 Lessons (and given that there would be no sound reason for segmenting the FSI course in smaller lessons, particularly as each FSI Unit contained only one dialogue), I would tend to discount the FSI French Basic course as the origin of these materials.

DLI French Basic?
Ah, but, the DLI French Basic course comprises 85 Lessons and 60 audio cassettes! While I have never come across a civilian publisher of the DLI Basic courses, the evidence points in the direction of The Language Warehouse being just such a case. The only way to verify would be to acquire the set of 60 audio cassettes and to compare the recordings to those available via the Yojik.eu website (I doubt very much that the vendor would do so at the request of a potential buyer as a condition of “possibly” purchasing the materials). So then, I suspect that the Language Warehouse French Basic Course was a copy of the DLI French Basic Course.

Comments, Information?
Would anyone happen to have additional information on Language Warehouse or their language courses or have any proposal considering the origin of these recordings?

EDITED:
Title revised to include "Reseller of DLI courses"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
1 x

Daristani
Orange Belt

Re: The Language Warehouse (circa 1970s?)

Postby Daristani » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:32 am

I recall seeing online advertisements for the Language Warehouse French and Spanish courses from much later than the 1970s (maybe the mid-to-late 1990s?), and I'm ALMOST certain that they were copies of the DLI basic French and Spanish courses. I have a vague recollection that this might have been indicated on their website, or else that they offered samples that made this clear. (It may be that there were PDFs provided on the website, and you had to buy the audio.)

In any event, I think your surmise that it's a reworking (or just a copy) of the DLI course is almost certainly correct.
1 x

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Re: The Language Warehouse (circa 1970s?)

Postby Kat » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:39 am

A course with that title is mentioned here on HTLAL.

The poster refers to an old website archived via the Wayback Engine where the transcrips can be found (for French and Spanish).
1 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

Speakeasy

Re: The Language Warehouse: Reseller of DLI courses (1970s - 1990s)

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:08 am

Daristani, you have a phenomenal memory! Thank you very much for the trip down Memory Lane. Yup, I think that The Language Warehouse, in contrast with Audio-Forum, Barrons, Multilingual Books, all of whom reprinted the FSI courses, perhaps so as to distinguish themselves from others, decided to reproduce the DLI courses (the link that Kat provided to the publisher's website even lists the DLI Headstart courses).

Kat, you amaze me, you are a veritable Sherlock Holmes! Although I had searched the HTLAL, I somehow missed the reference to The Language Warehouse. Ah, but your use of the WayBack Machine was the cherry on the sundae! Bravo!

Thank you very much, both of you!

PS: I sent the eBay vendor of the 60 audio cassettes a brief message advising them of the origins of these materials, provided them with information on how they can locate both the publisher's old website via the WayBack Machine and the Yojik.eu website (where the full course is available in PDF/MP3 format), and advised them that these materials are in the pubic domain.

EDITED:
Correction to egregious typo: misspelling of Daristani (mea culpa)!
Insertion of "PS".
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”