Glossika Microphone: How it works?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Glossika Microphone: How it works?

Postby mentecuerpo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:29 am

Does anyone know what is the “Microphone On” while doing the Glossika review. I see that my mic is on, and that it looks it has recorded my voice, but then I don’t see feedback if it was a correct or wrong pronunciation. I checked the Glossika page, and I could not find that feature and how it works.

Is it even worth it using the Mic?

Thanks.
1 x

joecleland
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A1/A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p147718

Re: Glossika Microphone: How it works?

Postby joecleland » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:23 am

Hello Mentecuerpo,

I completed a 7 day free trial (about 4 weeks ago) but I had the "microphone on" enabled. From what I remember, there were a couple options to choose from on what you'd like to improve. I chose 'all' so reading, writing, listening, speaking. The speaking portion was the only portion that was a little weird. It took me a day or two to figure out what has happening. I don't have access anymore so I don't remember what the actual tabs were called. However, this is how the microphone works.

You will receive a random sentence:

i.e. - "Je n’en crois pas mes yeux !" [audio automatically reads sentence]
“I can’t believe my eyes!” translation underneath

After the sentence is read, you can click on the microphone button. You will have about 5-6 seconds to repeat verbatim what the speaker says.

After this it will move onto the next sentence and your recorded audio file will be moved to a log. All of the audio is partitioned somewhere in your profile, I just can't remember where. This log is to be reviewed after your session and will allow you a side-by-side comparison to listen to the native speaker and your voice. Please note, this log will ONLY keep the most recent recorded sentence. This means If you recorded yourself saying "Je n’en crois pas mes yeux !" x5 times and you wanted to compare your pronunciation, you will have to listen to it after each iteration. Again, I only used the trial version but it is to my knowledge that Glossika does NOT mark your pronunciation wrong but allows you to make the determination of how you sound by listening to yourself, in the log, next to a native speaker.
Last edited by joecleland on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
    Complete
  • Pimsleur French 1
  • Fluent Forever 625 Word List
  • Assimil NFWE - 77/113 Lessons (68%)
  • iTalki Conversations - 26 Hours

Currently Using
    Lingoda Level A1 - 100 hours
  • A1.1 - 45/50 Hours Complete (90%)
  • A1.2 - 7/50 Hours Complete (14%)

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Re: Glossika Microphone: How it works?

Postby mentecuerpo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:49 am

joecleland wrote:Hello Mentecuerpo,

I completed a 7 day free trial (about 4 weeks ago) but I had the "microphone on" enabled. From what I remember, there were a couple options to choose from on what you'd like to improve. I chose 'all' so reading, writing, listening, speaking. The speaking portion was the only portion that was a little weird. It took me a day or two to figure out what has happening. I don't have access anymore so I don't remember what the actual tabs were called. However, this is how the microphone works.

You will receive a random sentence:

i.e. - "Je n’en crois pas mes yeux !" [audio automatically reads sentence]
“I can’t believe my eyes!” translation underneath

After the sentence is read, you can click on the microphone button. You will have about 5-6 seconds to repeat verbatim what the speaker says.

After this it will move onto the next sentence and your recorded audio file will be moved to a log. All of the audio is partitioned somewhere in your profile, I just can't remember where. This log is to be reviewed after your session and will allow you a side-by-side comparison to listen to the native speaker and your voice. Please note, this log will ONLY keep the most recent recorded sentence. This means If you recorded yourself saying "Je n’en crois pas mes yeux !" x5 times and you wanted to compare your pronunciation, you will have to listen to it after each iteration. Again, I only used the trial version but it is to my knowledge that Glossika does NOT mark your pronunciation wrong but allows you to make the determination of how you sound by listening to yourself, in the log, next to a native speaker.

You have a good memory Joecleland, you will do just fine accumulating French words.
Thank you, you are absolutely right!
Now it makes sense.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”