Learn Spanish, French & German Fast for Beginners

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Learn Spanish, French & German Fast for Beginners

Postby mentecuerpo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:02 am

I quote from the Amazon Audible website:
Start quote.
"Learn Spanish, French & German Fast for Beginners: Essential Guide to Quickly Learn Spanish, French and German with More Than 3,100 of the Most Common Words Used in Daily Conversation and Travel by Claudia Margarita Noble,
Paula Noble-Bibard, and Amelie Pimsleur-Klein." End of quote.

I got this audiobook via amazon Audible; I like it so far. I can check out the Spanish (my native language) and compared it with two of my target languages, German and French.

I like the audio quality and the content. I am sure they are very usable phrases that I can learn Glossika style. The only problem, no PDF on the audiobook.

Has anyone in this forum has tried this audiobook?
What is your take on this one?
Have you found the accompanying pdf or e-book?

Thanks.
1 x

joecleland
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A1/A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p147718

Re: Learn Spanish, French & German Fast for Beginners

Postby joecleland » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:14 am

1 x
    Complete
  • Pimsleur French 1
  • Fluent Forever 625 Word List
  • Assimil NFWE - 77/113 Lessons (68%)
  • iTalki Conversations - 26 Hours

Currently Using
    Lingoda Level A1 - 100 hours
  • A1.1 - 45/50 Hours Complete (90%)
  • A1.2 - 7/50 Hours Complete (14%)

neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Postby neumanc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:35 pm

by Claudia Margarita Noble,
Paula Noble-Bibard, and Amelie Pimsleur-Klein
Very funny, and certainly no coincidence! Paul Noble and Pimsleur produce quality language learning materials. The authors' names (or should I say "pseudonyms"?) make sure this audio program is found by anyone who searches for Paul Noble's courses or Pimsleur audio programs. Such marketing is questionable in my eyes.

Furthermore, I listened to the free sample, and I really must say I wouldn't want to touch this product by any means. My complaints:
1. Learning single words is not advisable, you need context.
2. The format L2-L1 is exactly the wrong order for Glossika-like learning, it should be the other way around.
3.It's not even a phrasebook, because you don't have complete sentences (at least according to the free sample).
4. At least the German voice is definitely not native. The words are mispronounced.

My verdict: Completely useless. I would look elsewhere, if I were you.
6 x

AnthonyLauder
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Everything Else (A0)

Postby AnthonyLauder » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:16 pm

neumanc wrote:
Very funny, and certainly no coincidence! Paul Noble and Pimsleur produce quality language learning materials. The authors' names (or should I say "pseudonyms"?) make sure this audio program is found by anyone who searches for Paul Noble's courses or Pimsleur audio programs. Such marketing is questionable in my eyes.

Just like you, I was struck by those names. I did wonder if they were some kind of joke. Even "Margarita" made me think of Margarita Madrigal, creator of one of the most successful ever Spanish course.
3 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt

Postby mentecuerpo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:39 am

neumanc wrote:

Furthermore, I listened to the free sample, and I really must say I wouldn't want to touch this product by any means. My complaints:
1. Learning single words is not advisable, you need context.
2. The format L2-L1 is exactly the wrong order for Glossika-like learning, it should be the other way around.
3.It's not even a phrasebook, because you don't have complete sentences (at least according to the free sample).
4. At least the German voice is definitely not native. The words are mispronounced.

My verdict: Completely useless. I would look elsewhere, if I were you.

Thanks for your comments. That sucks, %#&@! What is the point of having audio recordings that is not native?
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:17 am

mentecuerpo wrote:… What is the point of having audio recordings that is not native?
This comment was simply “too juicy” to leave alone! You might consider opening (yet another) thread on this subject under the “General Langauge Discussion” sub-forum. In the meantime, as I cannot resist the temptation to reply, here a couple of thoughts:

How did you (would you) react to the original Michel Thomas audio recordings wherein absolutely no one is a native speaker of the target language? The pronunciation of the maestro himself and that of his bumbling students is so horrendously awful that it could absolutely never serve as a model. Yet, many people swear by the effectiveness of these materials, not because of the non-native recordings, but despite them, and this because these people appreciate the MT Method approach to teaching.

Going further, does your statement apply to all non-native teachers of a language? Many people believe that a world-wide, unjustifiable prejudice against non-native language teachers pervades the entire education establishment. Perhaps Oscar E. Swan (and thousands upon thousands of other educators) should never have given a single lecture. From my own experience, although neither of my two high school French teachers were native speakers of French, I learned a lot from them, including several nuances in the pronunciation of International French; they were both truly greater teachers.

PS: I recognize that you did not wish to provoke a needless argument; rather, your reply was a quick, off-handed remark. In the unlikely event that you really did want to debate the matter of the pertinence of non-native audio sources (recorded and live), I suggest that you open a new thread.
2 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt

Postby mentecuerpo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:31 am

Speakeasy wrote:
mentecuerpo wrote:… What is the point of having audio recordings that is not native?

How did you (would you) react to the original Michel Thomas audio recordings wherein absolutely no one speaks the target language? The pronunciation of the maestro himself and that of his bumbling students is so horrendously awful that it could absolutely never serve as a model. Yet, many people swear by the effectiveness of these materials, not because of the non-native recordings, but despite them, and this because these people appreciate the MT Method approach to teaching.

Going further, does your statement apply to all non-native teachers of a language? Many people believe that a world-wide, unjustifiable prejudice against non-native language teachers pervades the entire education establishment. Perhaps Oscar E. Swan (and thousands upon thousands of other educators) should never have given a single lecture. From my own experience, although neither of my two high school French teachers were native speakers of French, I learned a lot from them, including several nuances in the pronunciation of International French; they were both truly greater teachers.

You have brought a couple of good points and I agree with your comments. Thanks for mentioning what can be misinterpreted by the way I wrote on my previous post. I can clarify this now.

I can learn a new language, an anyone can learn, with the help of a non-native language teacher. It looks to me that your non-native French teachers were a positive model for you, and perhaps helped you shape your love for languages.

I am sure that this topic of nonnative foreign language teachers has been discussed on this site as well.

I am positive that Michel Thomas created an effective method that many people enjoy. MT is a complete method develop from the ground up to facilitate language learning, and it works because he knew what he was doing. He was probably a professional foreign language teacher, who dedicated his life to this purpose. He also taught us that you can have an accent and speak the language with confidence and be understood. (my Spanish accent is very strong, anyone can hear I am Latino when I speak English, but my spoken skills are good enough to do my daily work here in America).

This is the beauty of having a good method. It guides the student by the hand building the language blocks and selecting the right content and clarifying important key elements of the language at the right times. Just see the notes on the ASSIMIL method, immediately after each lesson, following the short conversation. The notes provide important explanations on aspects of grammar and additional information about vocabulary, etc.

This brings to my mind another topic: what elements constitute a language learning method?

Anyways, my comment on my previous post was based on the audiobook above mentioned. This audiobook is not a language learning method, it is a word list in audio format. The deceitful marketing strategies by misleading potential buyers, trick them, by using part of the names of recognized professional language teachers who created effective method that we all enjoy and recommend for sure.
1 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:12 pm

I think it depends what you are doing with recordings. If I plan to shadow dialogues, imitate speakers or use recordings for input, I want them to use native speakers.

If they are actually teaching me rather than being material I can use to teach myself, the quality of the teacher is more important to me.

Speaking as literally one of his biggest fans, I used to find it absolutely mental when some people on HTLAL would try to learn Michel Thomas courses against his own express instructions. They're a course. You use them for literally a few hours, you move on to other materials (native or otherwise) and communication with people who speak the language. Anything else is not using them as designed and then (and IMHO only then) his pronunciation becomes a problem.
2 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt

Postby mentecuerpo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:37 am

Random Review wrote:I think it depends what you are doing with recordings. If I plan to shadow dialogues, imitate speakers or use recordings for input, I want them to use native speakers.

If they are actually teaching me rather than being material I can use to teach myself, the quality of the teacher is more important to me.

Speaking as literally one of his biggest fans, I used to find it absolutely mental when some people on HTLAL would try to learn Michel Thomas courses against his own express instructions. They're a course. You use them for literally a few hours, you move on to other materials (native or otherwise) and communication with people who speak the language. Anything else is not using them as designed and then (and IMHO only then) his pronunciation becomes a problem.

This is the way I see it now, but anyone is free to choose its own path.

Specially for shadowing as RR has pointed on this blog.

My local French teacher can be Moroccan, from French speaking Cameron, or from Haiti. My teacher will guide me through the course and will facilitate my learning. For self-studies, I will select audio content for shadowing recorded by native speakers.

If I only want to learn to read and write the language, then audio content is not important. Any book will do, with no need for audio material.
I am interested in speaking and understanding the language. Therefore, the correct pronunciation of my chosen accent is important to me.

I will listen to audio content from the area of the world that speaks the accent I am interested to acquire, in the most standard possible form. Especially when I am at a beginner level.

I will try to pronounce the words as closely as I can, by parroting or mimicking the sounds I hear. I will avoid reading the language unless I have the audio and I can listen as I read.

I take for granted that most language courses will use native speakers. Language courses with a good reputation and well respected by language students, such as Teach Yourself, living language, Assimil, and others. I will just make sure the accent is from the region I am interested to learn from.

This is particularly important if I am not immersed in my target language. For example, I live in America and I want to learn French from France. I will pick audio content recorded by French people.

I have a choice.
Spanish: Spain or Latin American.
English: North American or UK. (Luca Lamparielo, the Italian polyglot speaks English with an American).
French: France, Canada, or another region of the world.
Dutch: Belgium or Holland.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”