Target language newspapers published on your birthday

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Target language newspapers published on your birthday

Postby tommus » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:17 pm

You have probably wondered what was happening in the world on the day you were born. And you have probably found a newspaper front page from that very day. But have you done it in your target language(s)?

It just occurred to me today to do just that. Unfortunately for this task, I was born on a Sunday. Seems like there was only one Dutch newspaper published on a Sunday in those days. But of course there were many the next day Monday with news from the day before. I found an excellent Dutch site that has newspapers and other publications going way back to the 17th century. So if you are really old, or have parents, grandparents, etc. that go way back, you could find out what was going on a long time ago.

Zoeken in kranten uit de 17e, 18e, 19e en 20e eeuw - Ruim 12 miljoen Nederlandstalige krantenpagina’s
https://www.delpher.nl/nl/kranten

I found excellent editions of Het Nieuws, Het Parool, Trouw, De Locomotief, De Tijd, de Volkskrant and De Waarheid. You can download the whole edition, including advertisements, notices, photos, etc. So there is a whole lot of interesting material to enjoy and improve your target language skills. The formats available are jpg, txt or pdf.

There are undoubtedly similar resources in other languages. Check out what kind of a world you were born into, and improve your target language reading at the same time. Maybe you could tell us about useful sites you were able to find for such research.
8 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”