All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Klara
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1),
B-ish: French, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Italian
A-ish: Russian, Swedish, Latin, Polish, Portuguese

PodClub shuts down their podcast series

Postby Klara » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:00 am

Unfortunately, after eleven years, PodClub will be discontinuing all ist podcasts at the end of September. No more podcasts in English, French, Italien, German and Swiss-German with their texts. They announced this week:

"PodClub says goodbye; the time is ripe for something new

Last episode: 27.09.2019

The podcasters say a final goodbye. At the end of September 2019 they will report on news and the exciting culture of their homeland for the last time. Podclub.ch as well as the PodClub app, however, will still be available until December 31, 2019.

The podcasts are on soundcloud.com/podclub
Of course, the existing podcasts will remain accessible after the end of 2019. From November 1, 2019, the last 30 episodes will be available on soundcloud.com/podclub. This means you will still have the opportunity to immerse yourself in your favourite language at any time."

If you want to have more than these 30 episodes, you should start downloading the pdf's and mp3's :!:
7 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Re: PodClub shuts down their podcast series

Postby Henkkles » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:25 am

Does anyone have a dump of all the audio and text files?
1 x

Klara
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1),
B-ish: French, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Italian
A-ish: Russian, Swedish, Latin, Polish, Portuguese

Postby Klara » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:00 am

They say, that the web site and the app will be running till the end of the year with all the content. My understanding is, after that, only 30 episodes of each series will be available on soundcloud.

I will really really miss the app :cry: :cry: :cry:
0 x

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:53 am

Henkkles wrote:Does anyone have a dump of all the audio and text files?

I'm really hoping that someone does! Otherwise I'll just have to try to download as much as I can... but certainly it would be good to come up with a less laborious approach.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:19 pm

This is my first time hearing of these podcasts. While it's sad that they group of people making them have decided to shutend the serieses, it looks like it was a massive undertaking done by not a whole lot of staff.

All that said, it appears that you can download all of the podcasts via iTunes in one fail swoop. It's the PDFs that would take longer. Obviously that's not useful for people who don't or can't use iTunes, but it's a start. I haven't looked to see if the same is true with other RSS aggregators.
3 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:26 pm

Henkkles wrote:Does anyone have a dump of all the audio and text files?
aokoye wrote:… it appears that you can download all of the podcasts via iTunes in one fail swoop. It's the PDFs that would take longer...
Gosh, I wish I had known about the iTunes route (not that I am particularly adept with this platform)!

Sharing the PodClub German files
I have finished downloading (one file at a time), the “Deutsch lernen” mp3 and PDFs for “Zukker im Leben (D)” and “Andrea erzählt (D)”. I would be quite willing to share the files with someone who would assume the responsibility of posting them somewhere on the InterWeb so that others might access them.

The Available PodClub German Files
The "Zukker im Leben" files seem to be complete (48 files numbered 1 through 48). However, the “Andrea erzählt" files seemed to be incomplete (69 files numbered from 38 to 106). The remaining files (presumably numbered 1 through 37) seem to be no longer available.

Tags
As to the files, I have standardized the file names and added titles and other tags to facilitate their use on my Sony Walkman mp3 player. Now then, I am under the impression that there is no industry standard for the grouping of files in these small devices; that is, each manufacturer seems to have adopted their own way of archiving files. This means that the tags that I have applied to the mp3 files might conflict with some other device’s classification system. The solution would be for individual users to replace the tags that I have assigned to the files with ones which would be more effective on their own devices. Below is an image of how I have assigned the tags.
PodClub Deutsch TAGS.JPG

A Call for a Volunteer
I have completed the downloading. So then, should a “volunteer” wish to step forward with an offer of hosting the files somewhere on that InterWeb thingy with which you all seem to be so conversant, said volunteer is kindly invited to send me a Private Message along with an Email address that I can use to send him/her the files.

EDITED:
Updated, upon downloading the PodClub German files.
Typos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:16 am

Speakeasy wrote:The "Zukker im Leben" files seem to be complete (48 files numbered 1 through 48). However, the “Andrea erzählt" files seemed to be incomplete (69 files numbered from 38 to 106). The remaining files (presumably numbered 1 through 37) seem to be no longer available.

Is there a way to retrieve the missing files (perhaps someone has an archive), or are they all on Itunes ?: I don't use that program and I don't want to install it... Same question for the Italian podcast Al Dente that is also incomplete... :(
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:25 am

Arnaud wrote: Is there a way to retrieve the missing files (perhaps someone has an archive), or are they all on Itunes ?: I don't use that program and I don't want to install it... Same question for the Italian podcast Al Dente that is also incomplete... :(
I wish that I could answer your questions. Regrettably, my elementary skills with all manner of things technical leaves me unprepared to dig around iTunes (the application is installed on my computer, but I don't know how to use it). Perhaps Klara or aokoye can help?

In the meantime, if you would like a copy of the PodClub German files, I would be pleased to upload them to the Sprend.com file-sharing website for you. I would need your Email address (which you can provide via a Private Message) so as to send you the link for downloading purposes. Simply send me a Private Message. ;)
2 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Speakeasy wrote:I wish that I could answer your questions. Regrettably, my elementary skills with all manner of things technical leaves me unprepared to dig around iTunes (the application is installed on my computer, but I don't know how to use it). Perhaps Klara or aokoye can help?

In the meantime, if you would like a copy of the PodClub German files, I would be pleased to upload them to the Sprend.com file-sharing website for you. I would need your Email address (which you can provide via a Private Message) so as to send you the link for downloading purposes. Simply send me a Private Message. ;)

Thanks for the answer and the offer. I've already downloaded what's available on the site, and was wondering if someone (or someone who knows someone...) had not an old backup with the first files or something like that.
1 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Downloading from Podclub before it's gone

Postby Lianne » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:36 am

We're now just a week away from Podclub shutting down and taking all its wonderful podcasts with it! (Except for the most recent 50 episodes of each show, I think, via Soundcloud.) I've seen a lot of people talking about downloading the mp3s and PDFs while they're still available on the website, but I don't think I've seen any mention of us working together to share this task. Would anyone be interested in that?

Currently I'm working on downloading the episodes of Al dente, one of the Italian podcasts. There are a lot more I'd like to do but I don't know if I'll get around to them all during the holidays. But I would be happy to share what I do manage to download via Dropbox or Google Drive. If a bunch of us just did the work on one show and then shared the fruits of our labour, we could save a nice resource for all of us. :)
2 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”