Randomized cloze-deletion tests

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Bakunin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English, Thai, Swiss-German (adv.), Khmer, Isaan (studying); dormant: French, Polish

Re: Randomized cloze-deletion tests

Postby Bakunin » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:29 pm

Just wanted to report back that I solved my problem. It didn't take that long and was more fun than expected. Thanks again, rdearman, for inspiring me :) I wrote a short Python script using an html template I still had from somewhere else. I need to prepare the text (written Thai doesn't indicate word boundaries) and save it as a text file. Then I call my script, specifying the filename and a number N:

$ python rcd "Gmail - NSV-1.txt" 10

The script creates an html file with words removed at random such that on average every N-th word is removed:

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 23.56.10.png

(not sure why the image is blurred... on my machine it's crystal clear...)

I fill in my answers...

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 23.58.25.png

... and press the button at the bottom of the page:

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 23.58.46.png

The script compares my answers to the removed words and shows me where I'm wrong. As you can see, the formatting is not perfect. If I want to get a new random version, I just run the python script again. I'm sure a real programmer (which I am not) would be appalled by my code, but it does the job :) I'm now going to work with randomized cloze deletion for a while and if it's any good I'll report back (in my log).

Thanks again to everybody who provided links and suggestions. I'm sure other users who stumble over this thread and study a language where spaces indicate word boundaries will find the online tools you've linked to useful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bakunin on Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:54 am

That looks like a very good tool actually. I'm thinking if it is html & python it could probably be made into a webpage which allowed you to input text and pull out cloze deletion text. Or perhaps some kind of blot on to LWT.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Bakunin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English, Thai, Swiss-German (adv.), Khmer, Isaan (studying); dormant: French, Polish

Postby Bakunin » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:08 am

rdearman wrote:That looks like a very good tool actually. I'm thinking if it is html & python it could probably be made into a webpage which allowed you to input text and pull out cloze deletion text. Or perhaps some kind of blot on to LWT.

Yes, it is exactly that: a Python script which creates a webpage with some embedded javascript (dynamically created by the Python script). I totally lack the skills to take this any further, yesterday was the first day I programmed anything in javascript at all. I'm glad I got it to do what I want it to do :geek:
0 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:07 am

Hello there, a very interesting topic indeed! How did the project turn out in the end? I can't view the screenshots, but it sure sounds interesting!
0 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”