The Sandwich Method ?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

The Sandwich Method ?

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:22 am

Quiz time!
Condemned to endlessly haunt the InterWeb in search of vintage language-learning materials, I have come across one (two?) courses which leave me absolutely stumped. The images below depict two vintage courses for the study of English.

The George L. Sandwich Method A Recorded English Course for Beginners and Advanced Students
A set of 33-1/3 rpm vinyl records, which may actually be pamphlets containing both the records and the course notes, transcriptions, et cetera.
The George L. Sandwich Method of English.jpg

L’Anglais par The Sandwich Method, of George L. Shenker
A course book from 1972, for which I presume recordings would have been available.
The Sandwich Method of English by George L. Schenker 2.JPG

The Sandwich Method = The George L. Sandwich Method ?
Would anyone happen to have any information of these materials or on the Sandwich method? For example, was George L. Shenker’s course based on George L. Sandwich’s Method? What were the features of this method of language instruction? Were courses of instruction available for the teaching of languages other than English? The suspense is killing me!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: The Sandwich Method ?

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 am

Probably not to be confused with sandwich reading method.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Postby Aloyse » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:04 am

Oddly enough the Shenker Sandwich method seems still alive, and there are also Shenker schools which use a "Shenker method" (in Italy)

http://www.thesandwichmethod.com

https://www.shenker.it/chi-siamo/
2 x
Future me already did it.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:32 am

The “Sandwich Method” by George L. Shenker
The websites to which Aloyse provided links contain few details concerning the method, which is not a just typical commercial practice, but also somewhat understandable given that clearly describing a classroom teaching method is not as easy as some people might think. Nevertheless, it would appear that one of the fundamental characteristics of the Sandwich Method pertains to the inclusion of a system of phonetics devised by its creator. The description of the student’s contact with the language through at-home preparation prior to classroom lessons, two 30-minute practice sessions per lesson with a teacher, continuous imitation and repetition, written and oral tests, high-frequency vocabulary and expressions, exposure to the voices of many different native-speakers most likely through the use of audio-visual recordings, all suggest that the method is quite intensive and, presumably, effective. Whether or not the “Sandwich Method” would be more effective than a programme of independent study could be debated endlessly. However, regular face-to-face contact with a teacher/tutor would surely be an advantage.

The Vintage Materials (Above)
Given the description of the “Sandwich Method” as one delivered in a classroom but which requires home-study, it seems likely to me that the set of vinyl records and the course book depicted above were part of the course materials for use at home both for preparation prior to the classroom lessons and for subsequent review.

Contest Winners
Many thanks to the both of you for responding! My own searches yielded nothing more than what I reported above. Based on the responses, the judges have awarded 1st Prize to Aloyse for his submission, an all-expenses-paid one-week vacation in Toronto. But wait, there’s more! Jeff_lindqvist will not walk away empty-handed, his submission wins him 2nd prize, an all-expenses-paid two-week vacation in Toronto (taken from an “inside joke” amongst Canadians, from many decades ago, when “Toronto the Good” was viewed as the nation’s most boring city).

Collecting Your Prizes
To collect their prizes awarded under this contest, winners must first submit a handwritten 5000-word essay, in Algonquin, on the history of the City of Toronto from its founding to the present day. Submissions will be judged for handwriting, grammar, the use of historically-correct idioms during each period described in the essay, literary style, accuracy, and completeness. All submissions must include no less than five (5) handwritten copies (mechanical, electronic or other reproductions are unacceptable). Failure to submit the required essay and number of handwritten copies means forfeiture of the contestant’s rights to collect the prizes. Decisions reached by the judges are final. There is no appeal process. Any and all attempts at communicating with the judges will be met with stone silence. Thank you for participating in this contest!

EDITED:
Tinkering.
4 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”