All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Armenian (Haieren, Hayeren) Resources

Postby księżycowy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:39 pm

Speakeasy wrote:A Course in Modern Western Armenian (1989), 851 pages, by Thomas J. Samuuelian - Armenian Prelacy
No information available on this now out-of-print course other than that it was sponsored by the Armenian National Education Committee.

I happen to have a copy of this course (both volumes, at that). I'm not sure if it's out of print or not, but you can find some copies on various online shops (such as https://naasr.org/products/a-course-in-modern-western and http://www.abrilbooks.com/books/languag ... ian-a.html). There does not appear to be any audio that was originally produced for the text, but some can be found here: https://www.arak29.am/moodle/.

I think it's one of the better resources for Western Armenian, along with Bardakjian's book.

Also, regarding the missing CD for Bardakjian's textbook over at FLACS, I had a similar experience a year or two ago when I asked about it. They never got back to me. Luckily I had bought the physical cds quite a few years ago, and ripped them to my Drive. I'm more than happy to share with anyone who is interested. Just PM me.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:56 pm

księżycowy wrote:… ... ...
Thank you very much for your comments! I have appended them to their respective listings.
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:47 pm

I'm happy to help wherever I can. :)
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Daristani
Orange Belt

Postby Daristani » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:02 pm

Another useful resource for the western dialect is the book

An Anthology of Western Armenian Literature by James Etmekjian, 477 pages, published in 1980 by Caravan Books in Delmar, NY.

It's an anthology of both prose and poetry, with comments on the writers, linguistic notes on the reading selections, and a glossary.

The best thing is that copyright was only claimed until 1990, and so the book is now in the public domain. I don't see any copies for sale anywhere at the moment, and I suspect that the initial print run was probably pretty small, so finding copies won't be easy. But I've scanned a copy, and anyone wanting a pdf can PM me.
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 pm

Daristani wrote:Another useful resource for the western dialect is the book: An Anthology of Western Armenian Literature by James Etmekjian, 477 pages, published in 1980 by Caravan Books in Delmar, NY. ...
Daristani, thank you very much for your recommendation, which I have included in the list of resources, above. Following your advice, I tried to locate the above title on the websites of the major online booksellers, but came up empty-handed. Nevertheless, by limiting my search criteria to “Armenian” and the author’s name, I came across another work of his. While the original work is out-of-print, REPRINTS are available.

A Graded West Armenian Reader; Selections from Armenian Literature (1963, 2019 Reprint), 216 pages, by James Etmekjian - SPM Publications
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:40 pm

księżycowy wrote:[R]egarding the missing CD for Bardakjian's textbook over at FLACS, I had a similar experience a year or two ago when I asked about it. They never got back to me. Luckily I had bought the physical cds quite a few years ago, and ripped them to my Drive. I'm more than happy to share with anyone who is interested. Just PM me.

I have just (as in literally just) gotten in contact with the University of Michigan Language Resource Center, and offered to share the 2nd CD audio with them. They should have it added to their collection later today! I thought it best to have them in control of it all.

Speakeasy wrote:
Daristani wrote:Another useful resource for the western dialect is the book: An Anthology of Western Armenian Literature by James Etmekjian, 477 pages, published in 1980 by Caravan Books in Delmar, NY. ...
Daristani, thank you very much for your recommendation, which I have included in the list of resources, above. Following your advice, I tried to locate the above title on the websites of the major online booksellers, but came up empty-handed. Nevertheless, by limiting my search criteria to “Armenian” and the author’s name, I came across another work of his. While the original work is out-of-print, REPRINTS are available.

A Graded West Armenian Reader; Selections from Armenian Literature (1963, 2019 Reprint), 216 pages, by James Etmekjian - SPM Publications

An updated link, potentially at better prices for A Graded Western Armenian Reader is:
https://naasr.org/products/a-graded-wes ... -etmekjian
I'm unsure if this title is still in print, but at least for now it seems to still be in stock.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”