Converting LPs and Cassettes to MP3

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
AnthonyLauder
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Everything Else (A0)

Re: Converting LPs and Cassettes to MP3

Postby AnthonyLauder » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 am

Elexi wrote:Anthony, does your computer have a USB port? You can buy USB audio input thingies for relatively cheap on Amazon or ebay. Just type in USB audio input.

I had no idea. That is wonderful. Having just read your comment, I ordered one immediately on Amazon. Thank you.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Many experienced users recommend that the digitizing process be first to FLACS or at least WAV and subsequently to MP3.

I always advise this when people are archiving old materials for sharing, because from FLACS or WAV files can be edited to improve the sound (eliminate tape hiss, correct for stretched tape/distorted disc etc) without further degrading the recording.

If you're only recording the material for yourself and you have no intention of trying to edit to improve quality, then you're just as well using MP3.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:26 pm

Whereas many turntables have low-level signals, most audio units can process only line-level signals. Thus, should you wish to connect your turntable directly to your computer (that is, bypassing your stereo system’s amplifier), it is possible that you will need to use a preamplifier.

Do I Need a Preamp for My Turntable? – Vinyl Restart
https://vinylrestart.com/do-i-need-a-preamp/

Low-priced turntable preamplifiers abound on the internet. It is important to ensure: (a) that the connectors of the preamplifier you are considering match those of your present equipment or, should this is not be the case, (b) that low-priced cables are available for connecting your turnable-preamplifier-computer.
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”