Speakeasy’s “Free to Good Home” File

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:13 am

Preservation of Private Collections of Language-Learning Materials
A couple of years ago, concerned over the increasing disappearance of vintage language-learning materials from the period of the “Golden Age of Language Learning”, I opened a discussion thread in the hopes of creating a reservoir of sorts where members could donate materials from their private collections for the future benefit of their fellow language-learning enthusiasts. I knew from the outset that this was a “long shot” and, in addition to the significant administrative challenges and financial costs involved with such a project, the knotty problem of strict observance of the rights of copyright holders would be raised. For many reasons, this project never went beyond the wouldn’t-it-be-nice stage. As I’ve never been an optimist, while I was a little disappointed, I was not in the least surprised: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2407 Well, I’ve doing a lot of thinking lately and …

In the coming months, I will be offering selected materials from my private collection on a “free to good home” basis. To be more precise, while I will be offering these materials for FREE, given the sheer volume involved, I would appreciate receiving some help with the shipping costs. I will not be offering anything that is left over for sale via eBay and will simply donate the remaining items to a local charity. However, my past experience suggests that these items will not be preserved; rather, the charity will most likely toss them straight into the garbage. Owing to the lack of a viable market for recyclable materials, our municipality, in conjunction with many others, as well as the province, has recently declared a five-year moratorium on the collection services of recyclable materials. This means that anything offered here that does not find home, will go straight to the landfill.

I will be posting lists of “free to good home” materials on an irregular basis. Those interested in receiving items on the lists can communicate with me via Private Message. Be prepared to provide a complete mailing address along with your telephone number (required by the postal and custom authorities). I will also be requesting that my packaging and postal charges be reimbursed. I have already donated most of my Italian language-learning materials along with a small portion of my Dutch, Portuguese, and Polish materials. While I still have a fair amount of materials to dispose of, I will be providing some specific individuals with a first, private, opportunity to choose items from my collection. Whatever is posted here will be, well, left-overs. Sorry about that! Please refer to subsequent posts for the lists of materials.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
11 x

Speakeasy

Re: Speakeasy’s “Free to Good Home” File

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:14 am

Lot No.1
These are “easy” to give away because the packages take up so much room in my basement (my wife will be pleased).

Reader’s Digest At Home With (series): French, German, Italian, Spanish
These are the Reader’s Digest variants of the Pimsleur I courses from the 1980’s. Here is the link to my post on the language forum:https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3558 As you can see, these materials, which are stored a standard-sized briefcase, are rather bulky and would be expensive to ship, probably something in the neighborhood of 50 $US per package. However, should want to receive the cassettes and booklets only (in which case I would toss the cheap plastic carry cases into the recycling bin landfill), the postage costs would be considerably less.
5 x

kellyjstyle
Languages: English. Studying Italian (beginner)

Postby kellyjstyle » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:27 pm

I will gladly pay for shipping the Italian one!
Thanks!
0 x

lingohot
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (certified C1), French (certified C1), Spanish (reading intermediate, speaking/writing/listening beginner)

Postby lingohot » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:03 pm

kellyjstyle wrote:I will gladly pay for shipping the Italian one!
Thanks!

Then you should send speakeasy a private message in order to discuss the details.
0 x
Lingohot™ – the hots for languages ;) :o

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:21 pm

lingohot wrote:Then you should send speakeasy a private message in order to discuss the details.
AFAIK, speakeasy has been banned and probably can't read private messages.
0 x

lingohot
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (certified C1), French (certified C1), Spanish (reading intermediate, speaking/writing/listening beginner)

Postby lingohot » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:24 am

Doitsujin wrote:
lingohot wrote:Then you should send speakeasy a private message in order to discuss the details.
AFAIK, speakeasy has been banned and probably can't read private messages.

That was a joke ;) You can't send them messages, you can't click on their profile.
0 x
Lingohot™ – the hots for languages ;) :o

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”