Intensive language programs

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
alans
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French,Yiddish

Intensive language programs

Postby alans » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:47 pm

I will be starting an intensive language program in Yiddish in two weeks. The program lasts for four weeks and it's about four hours of
study every morning and then some conversation in the afternoon. This is the third time I've tried one of these programs in the last fourteen
years. The first two I did were dreadful, the second being a total pathetic joke. The instructor had us sitting around a table and taking
turns reading from a very boring book. I was furious. One of my five week intensive courses was excellent, very very demanding, but
it is only for absolute beginners. So now i'm trying a new one which is supposed to be the best in the world. I'm really looking forward to it.
I'm a little concerned that by week three I will feel fried but I'm really hoping to get a big push from this program.

Any thoughs on intensive lanuage programs? I have a friend who teaches at one in the north-east of the U.S. It's very very expensive
and very famous and you're not allowed to speak in anything but your target language. They say if you break the rules you can be expelled.
0 x

Speakeasy

Re: Intensive language programs

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:59 pm

Over the years, I have attended several “intensive programmes” in different fields of study, but only one in learning a second language. I am sorry to say that, on balance, my experiences did not meet my expectations.

I recall some attendees, during the pauses, expressing consternation over the “fast pace” of these programmes whereas many others were bored-to-death by the superficial treatment of the subject matter, the slowness of the pace, the frequency of the breaks, and the inclusion of activities which have no bearing whatsoever on the subject. Over time, I developed the impression that organisers of commercial programmes -- which must turn a profit -- are faced with an almost impossible task:

(1) Most often, the organisers cannot truly control – that is, vet and exclude where necessary -- attendees by their level of preparedness, or lack thereof, for the programme. This means that some attendees will be unprepared to cover a great deal of new material, rather deeply, and quite quickly. While some language schools may vet candidates, far too many, out of fear of losing revenues, are willing to permit the participation of people who not should attend at all.

(2) Many attendees, whether they realize it themselves or not, desire only a superficial treatment of the subject matter. They do not want a gruelling programme of intensive study, they want to be “stimulated” and “motivated” … read “entertained” … read “intensive lite.”

(3) In contrast to the above, some attendees possess an advanced level of knowledge of the subject matter and, in preparation for these programmes, have taken the time to review much of the material that will be covered. These people want, and would be disappointed if they did not receive, an in-depth, intensive programme.

(4) Some attendees are quite aware of the superficial treatment that awaits them in these types programmes. However, for professionals reasons, they must log “x” hours annually in professional development programmes: these programmes help them meet such requirements. I’ve been there, I’ve done that, and I have been thoroughly disillusioned by the sham.

Obviously, not all commercial "intensive programmes” have to cope with the conflicting expectations of a wide variety of attendees. In cases where they do, organizers seem to adopt the “intensive lite” model.

I would hope that such programmes, when organized by reputable schools and universities, aim somewhat higher … but they have to generate revenues, too.
7 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Intensive language programs

Postby aokoye » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:25 pm

I've had very good experiences in intensive language programs and I know someone who went to said program that your friend works at for German. She had a very good experience and her language skills skyrocketed (she went with no German and I was easily able to have hour long conversations with her in German over the phone within a few weeks of her being there). I also know people who have done similar domestic foreign language immersion programs in Russian and German and I have visited the German one that my (soon to be former) university runs two or three times.

I personally did a 4 week german language intensive two summers ago and had a very positive experience. My course was at the C1 level and from what I can tell, both from my class and what I saw of at least one other, they did a good job weeding people out of classes that would have been too difficult. There were a lot of disappointed people when they announced who was in what class. In this case, there were two written tests and one oral interview. I've written about my experience fairly extensively in an old log. The first post starts here.
3 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”