Integrationskurs VS Online courses(SmarterGerman,FluentU,etc)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
twodiverse
Languages: Spanish (N)
English (C1)
German (A1-A2)

Re: Integrationskurs VS Online courses(SmarterGerman,FluentU,etc)

Postby twodiverse » Thu May 30, 2019 11:01 pm

Kat wrote:
twodiverse wrote:My goal is to learn German while socializing. German is the priority so I wouldn´t mind spending hours/day studying it. As I said learning german and socializing I believe help each other in a really good way.

I agree, socializing in German will help you to a lot to learn the language. I had been wondering if you were going to work in Berlin and had limited time for language study. Since that's not the case and you can concentrate on German, my first choice would be a class at a regular language school. I prefer face-to-face classes over online courses because I find them more motivating. But that's just me, a lot of people on this forum might say the opposite.

I would choose a regular language school because I think the pace of their classes is faster than an Integrationskurs and you said you want to get the most out of your time. If money were a big issue, I might try an Integrationskurs. Have you written to the course provider and asked if you will be able to get in? Immigrants and refugees will be given preference (the source I linked above says: ..."Anyone interested in learning German, as long as there are free spaces available on the course). A few years ago there was a huge demand for Integrationskurse but I don't know the current situation.

twodiverse wrote:My plan is to rely in my social skills doing normal life (gym and other hobbies) and social events I will attend.

You seem to be a very outgoing person. If it's easy for you to talk to people in a language you don't know well yet, an online course and lots of social interaction might work perfectly. Speakeasy already mentioned the free courses offered by Deutsche Welle.

If you are looking for a language exchange partner (Tandem), try the Instituto Cervantes. I haven't been there in a while but they used to have a wall where people seeking exchanges could put a note. There were always more Germans looking for Spanish exchange partners than vice versa.

Good luck with your German adventure and have a good time in Berlin!

Thank you! I am flying tomorrow over there, let´s see if I find a place to stay for 3 months, I have tried and for now it has been imposible.
Thank you again for all your help, I will try to come back with my decision in case it may help someone!
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”