Modern Greek Resources (version 1.0)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
bookstorecowboy
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (intermediate), modern Greek (beginner)

Re: Modern Greek Resources (version 1.0)

Postby bookstorecowboy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:40 pm

This is just great. Thank you so much!
0 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:18 pm

Krytos: Learn Greek
http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/
From the website: “Learn Greek Online is a course provided by Kypros-Net in collaboration with the CyBC to teach the modern Greek language online. Learn Greek Online is currently composed of 105 real audio files (around 15 minutes each), online student notes, a collection of collaborative learning tools and an online Greek dictionary and a Greek spell checker. The text version of these lessons has been contributed by students of this course.” Positive reference has been made of this online course a number of times on the HTLAL and on the LLORG “Modern Greek Study Group.” zjones included amongst her recommended online Beginners’ resources and rfnsoares added: “It's quite long and slow, but I think it is the best resource for beginners.” zjones reported in November 2018 that there are technical problems with the website registration function. Hopefully, these have been resolved.
Just wanted to mention that the audio files of the lessons can be accessed legally without registration here: http://www.cybc-media.com/aod2wd/index. ... list_id=30
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:18 pm

FSI Basic Greek: Typesetting
I have copied/pasted bookstorecowboy’s question from the Modern Greek Study Group – Page 6.
bookstorecowboy wrote:Hi guys, I looked at the old FSI course in Greek. It looks useful, but the old typewritten letters are not very clear. Is it possible to buy the text reset in a clearer typeface? Is the Barron's edition just a reproduction of the old course, or was it reset with better typography? The FSI version is free online (public domain), but it borders on unusable. In any event, it's a strain. Thanks!
Over the years, many members of the HTLAL and the LLORG have voiced their dissatisfaction over the typesetting of the original FSI basic courses.The versions published by Audio Forum, Multilingual Books, and Plurality Languages were all just copies of the originals. In some (but not all) cases, the Barron’s Educational “Mastering” series were completely retype set. The after-market online publisher SpeedLearning Languages seems to have used some advanced Adobe features to reformat the original texts of a very small collection of the FSI Basic courses; however, their catalogue does not include the FSI Greek Basic course.

I have not come across a specific discussion of the typesetting of the Barron’s Mastering Greek course manual on the language forums. However, the following Amazon Customer Reviews suggest that, in this case, Barron's Educational simply copied the original FSI course manual:
Amazon Customer, Peter J Kakos, in September 2014 wrote:(4 stars) It looks like a Xerox copy of typed material: I read some of the reviews before I made my own to understand where the difficulties might lie. There are problems with the "typed" script. It does look like a xerox copy of typed material. They should update this by providing a new format and type script. The various chapters introduce new vocabulary each time and build on the previous chapter, which is the natural way to learn a language--you learn words in "chunks" of information, and not learning to conjugate first. And the repetitive response drills are a natural way we learn all languages--just think of how many times your mother or father said "no, get off the couch with that," to you growing up. Thousands of times I would imagine. The material does this well. The tapes are native speakers (and being of Greek descent I can tell you that's how Greek is spoken--fast) who are speaking in everyday normal linguistic mode. The tapes use male and female voices--which is how anyone learns the language of their native land. Men speak slightly differently than women, and if you listen really closely you can pick this up now and again. Of course, there are differences between the katherevousa (official language of government entities, documents, and universities), and the demotic (everyday, home-bound tongue). People in Greece speak both and go from one to another without any conscience thought. The signs you read in Greece are also in katherevousa but people refer to those things in demotic, which I found interesting and not a problem.

Aside from the book itself which does have some typos and garbled type, I would say that the course in a powerful primer to go on with further studies, and if you can speak as fast as the people on the tapes you are well on your way to learning Greek fluently.
Amazon Customer, N gillan, in March 2004 wrote:(1 star) Disappointing. I have recently moved to Greece and purchased this book and audio tape set to help me learn Greek. The main problem is the layout of the book. It looks like each page has been typed on a manual typewriter then photocopied. The print is poor and at times, impossible to read and there are also spelling mistakes. It is not an easy book to follow and doesn't make learning the language an easy task. The English language used is complex and not in laymans terms for the average indiviual, making learning the language a chore. The Greek vocabulary lists contain words that are not translated into English alongside and when shown to a native, they weren't even sure of some of the words themselves! The speed of the conversation on the audio tapes is also very fast and difficult to follow with no symbols in the book to advise when the tape should be used I needed an easy to follow, step by step course in basic Greek, but unfortunatley this package did not suit my needs. Very disappointing.

Double the Trouble
As the Barron’s Mastering Greek course manual is roughly half the size (6 inches x 8 inches) of the original FSI Greek Basic course manual (8-1/2 inches x 11 inches), any problems with the latter's text would be exacerbated, thereby making the Barron’s version even more difficult to work with than the original.

EDITED:
Text updated to include Amazon Customer Reviews.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

bookstorecowboy
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (intermediate), modern Greek (beginner)

Postby bookstorecowboy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:14 pm

Thank you. Unfortunate, but thank you.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:43 pm

FSI Basic Greek: Typesetting (cont’d)
on the Greek Study Group, bookstorecowboy wrote:Thank you, I was afraid of that. Probably the clearest type is in an actual physical copy of the old FSI course.
The alternatives seem to be either print the PDF on your own printer, take the PDF file to your local print/copy shop and ask them to do the job for you (there are also online services), or purchase a physical copy …

Mastering Greek - Barron's Educational (6 inches x 8 inches)
To reiterate, the Barron’s edition is a half-sized photo/print version of the original. Double the trouble.

Greek Basic Course by S Obolensky - Hippocrene Language Studies (Size: 7¾" x 9¾")
Slightly reduced in size from the presumed original of 8-1/2" x 11”. During the period when these editions were published, Hippocrene developed an unenviable reputation for the poor quality of their printed materials (they have since cleaned up their act).

Greek Basic Course by S Obolensky – Jeffery Norton Publishers
Jeffery Norton Publishers (Audio-Forum) was an authorized publisher of the FSI courses and even supplied materials to the FSI. Although, in later years, they resorted to using some form of photo-printing process, generally speaking, their printed editions would be comparable to those printed by the U.S. Government Printing Office. Occasionally, they show up on eBay.

Greek Basic Course by S Obolensky – Audio-Forum
Same as Jeffery Norton Publishers (Audio-Forum). The offers on AbeBook are for PDF/MP3 versions. Subsequent to the cessation of operations of the original incarnation of Audio-Forum circa 2012, the remaining inventories were purchased and offered under a couple of names. The ones listed under this AbeBooks link were an attempt at reviving the company. Packages containing printed materials -- as opposed to PDFs -- would contain the original Jeffery Norton Publishers (Audio-Forum) editions. Occasionally, they show up on eBay.

Greek Basic Course by S Obolensky – MPS Multimedia Inc. The source of these PRINT-ON-DEMAND copies is most likely a PDF version downloaded from the internet. The advantages of using these types of services is that the books would be bound, that you would not have to do all the printing on your own printer, and that the quality would likely be slightly better than that possible with your own printer.

Greek Basic Course – eBay.com
There are presently several copies of the course manuals available for purchase either alone or as part of packages.

EDITED:
Tinkering.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

bookstorecowboy
White Belt

Postby bookstorecowboy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:40 pm

Thank you!
I've ordered an original FSI version.
0 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:22 pm

Speakeasy wrote:FSI Basic Greek: Typesetting (cont’d)
on the Greek Study Group, bookstorecowboy wrote:Thank you, I was afraid of that. Probably the clearest type is in an actual physical copy of the old FSI course.
The alternatives seem to be either print the PDF on your own printer, take the PDF file to your local print/copy shop and ask them to do the job for you (there are also online services), or purchase a physical copy …

Well, I just took a random page from the downloadable FSI text, googled free online OCR, and put it through the first one I came across.

Before (view here):

After (view here):

It would be a bit of a job for someone to go through the whole thing, but perhaps not out of the question?
0 x
Corrections welcome here

bookstorecowboy
White Belt

Postby bookstorecowboy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:00 am

I recommend this book, which I just received. I don't think it is on the resources list.
https://www.amazon.com/English-Words-De ... 40&sr=8-11
0 x

bookstorecowboy
White Belt

Postby bookstorecowboy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:04 am

With regard to FSI, I think free versions are actually better than the "after." As I said above, I think, you just have to blow it up to maximum size on your screen. It's not great, but it's readable.
0 x

Thala
Yellow Belt
Languages: Native: English (N), Bulgarian (N)
Learning: Greek (A1), Russian (A2)
On hold: Spanish (B1)
Future: Italian, German, Portuguese, Norweigan, Korean, Mandarin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=146347

Postby Thala » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:49 am

I don't think this has been posted here, but I'm finding it an awesome resource. It's an easy reader: Λυδία: Ένα καλοκαίρι στην Ελλάδα!
(Lydia: A summer in Greece!)

I find it really simple to read, but challenging enough for me to learn (I just started learning, so it's great for beginners). I found the Deltos easy readers too difficult for my level but this is great. I think after I finish it, the Deltos books will be easy enough for me.
1 x
Language Transfer Greek: 120 / 120 (120/120 lessons)
Greek iTalki Lessons: 9 / 100 (9/100 lessons)
Russian iTalki Lessons: 11 / 100 (11/100 lessons)

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”