Routledge Intensive Language Courses

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Preamble
While skimming through the Russian Study Group files recently, I came across aravinda’s September, 2018, question concerning the Routledge Intensive Course and, while ilmari provided some much-appreciated additional information in the form of a link to the Companion Website, there was no actual discussion of these materials. I was about to offer a brief, but belated, comment myself and, in preparing to do so, searched the LLORG and the HTLAL for information on members’ actual experiences, but found very little. As I have three of these courses and will be commenting on them, it occurred to me that the opening of a separate discussion thread would provide all members with an opportunity to express their opinions and/or become acquainted with these materials.
aravinda wrote:Has anyone used the Routledge Intensive Russian Course? Is it commonly used as a university textbook? Is it really intensive as the title claims it to be? I am particularly interested in hearing about the audio CDs (which are expensive and difficult to find by the way). For example, are they completely in Russian or do they have a lot of English like the Colloquial series?
ilmari wrote:
Has anyone used the Routledge Intensive Russian Course?
I don't know the book, but you can find more information (including a sample chapter) on the Companion Website: http://cw.routledge.com/textbooks/9780415223003/

The Routledge Intensive Language Course series was introduced circa 2005 covering four languages: Dutch, German, Italian, and Russian. Materials include one textbook ranging from approximately 250 to 420 pages and 2 audio CDs. A separate workbook was published to accompany the Routledge Intensive Italian course. A Companion Website hosts additional materials including a transcript (without translation) of the audio CDs.

Routledge Intensive Language Courses – Routledge (Taylor & Francis) website:
https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Intensive-Language-Courses/book-series/RILC
Routledge Intensive Language Courses.JPG

Components Sold Separately
Prospective buyers are reminded that these materials (textbooks and CDs) are offered for sale on the Routledge’s website as separate items and that, while this is clear on the publisher’s website, it is frequently obscure on the websites of the major online booksellers.

Methodology and Suitability for Self-Instruction
The target language is introduced through a series of very short dialogues, narratives, reading passages, and the like, for the most part without translation. Instructions and explanations are in English. In some cases (e.g., Dutch), the notes to the student on grammar and usage are clear and provide ample support. In other cases (e.g., German) these are either non-existent or so poorly structured as to require that the student resort to a separate grammar. An answer key is available on the Companion Website. Having completed the German and Dutch courses, I would say that the level upon completion varies: the German course would be about CEFR A2, and the Dutch course would be around CEFR B1.

The accompanying audio recordings (2 CDs), which are in the target language only, do NOT capture all of the short dialogues, narratives, et cetera. Rather, these recordings are mixture of “extracts” of the printed texts and recorded exercises for “comprehension” the texts of which do not appear in the course book. A complete transcript of the audio recordings (without translation) is available via the Companion Website. Overall, I found the barely two-hours-worth of audio recordings to be the absolute minimum for courses of this scope and found myself wondering what possible benefit might accrue to the user by limiting the recordings to a mere two hours. The answer lies in the fact that these courses were designed for use in a classroom where the student would, presumably, have more ample opportunities for practicing the target language.

In some cases, the publisher advises the prospective student that a specific course is intended for classroom instruction only and that it should NOT be used for self-instruction. In other cases, the courses are described as being conceived primarily for study with the assistance of an instructor but that they CAN be used for self-study. Having worked completely through the German and Dutch courses, and partially through the Italian course, I would say that, although the textbooks include a glossary, the absence of translations and the varying quality of the notes render these materials more difficult to use in an independent-learning situation than say those of Assimil, Living Language Ultimate, Linguaphone, and many, many others. Generally speaking, I would recommend that users “think twice” before using these materials for self-instruction. So then, while I have not used the Routledge Intensive Russian Course and thus cannot respond directly to aravinda’s question above, my advice to him, and to anyone else considering these materials, would be to look elsewhere.

Despite my general advice concerning the suitability of these materials in an independent-learning situation, given the comparatively fewer resources that are available for the study of Dutch, I would say that the Routledge Intensive Dutch Course is particularly comprehensive and well-conceived such that, provided the student is willing to make a substantial additional effort, this course should be considered for use in a self-instruction setting.

Reviews
Although there are very few discussions on the LLORG or the HTLAL of the Routledge Intensive Language Courses, one member did recommend the Dutch Course most particularly for its comprehensiveness. Reviews by Amazon Customers are sparse and either not particularly revealing or (a) expressions of disappointment that these courses are not suitable for self-instruction, (c) complaints concerning the unreasonably high prices for the two CDs, or (c) expressions of customers’ chagrin following their belated discovery that the components are sold separately, viz., did not receive the CDs, received only the CDs.

Comments?
Has anyone else used one of the Routledge Intensive Language Courses? Care to talk about it?

EDITED:
Tinkering.
Correction: Answer Key available on Companion website (merci à stelingo!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
7 x

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Re: Routledge Intensive Language Courses

Postby stelingo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:01 pm

I used the Dutch version a few years ago and worked my way through the first 4-5 units, before moving on to other languages. I liked the book, it was thorough and dealt with some interesting themes in the later units, such as multiculturalism in the Netherlands and the situation of the Dutch language in Belgium. I will go back to using it if I ever decide to resurrect my Dutch. Btw there is an answer key available on the companion website.
4 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:09 pm

Thank you, stelingo, for your comments. I have corrected my post as the matter of the Answer Key. ;)
1 x

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Postby stelingo » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:55 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Thank you, stelingo, for your comments. I have corrected my post as the matter of the Answer Key. ;)

Graag gedaan.
0 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:36 am

I have used the Dutch and German versions. I agree with Speakeasy, the Dutch was intensive, relatively comprehensive and well structured.
The German one didn't really work for me, and I never finished it.
1 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:28 pm

It's also worth pointing out that, at least in the USA, those courses make Assimil look cheap.
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

sortega
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Italian (B2), Dutch (Beginner)

Postby sortega » Wed May 08, 2019 11:26 am

Dear all

Can you please help me with the Companion website for the Routledge Intensive Dutch Course?
I already tried with the following link (several times) and it doesn't work.

http://cw.routledge.com/textbooks/9780415261913/

Thanks for the support and have a nice day. :P

Best regards,
Christine B.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed May 08, 2019 3:07 pm

Hello, sortega, welcome to the forum! I look forward to following your posts on this an many other topics. You might be interested in exploring two sections of the forum listed below:

Dutch Resources
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7867

Dutch Study Group
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9840

With respect to your request concerning "Routledge Intensive Dutch" course, should you experience difficulties with the Routledge website, I suggest that you contact the publisher through their “Contact Us” portal. In the meantime, …

• it has been a number of years since I last studied Dutch and I no longer remember a “Companion Website” for this book. Is it possible that you are referring to the “Routledge Colloquial Dutch” course?

• the publisher’s webpage for Routledge Intensive Dutch contains an “eResources” section which contains some additional resources for this book and which is still operational. https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Intensive-Dutch-Course/Quist-Sas-Strik/p/book/9780415261913

I downloaded these files a few years ago and, having just checked their contents with those on the webpage, I did not detect any differences.

Routledge Intensive Dutch (publisher's website).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Thu May 09, 2019 2:20 am

Actually, I think Routledge Intensive Series used to have so-called companion sites (but I may be wrong). I remember (vaguely!) downloading files from these sites. I’m not sure if they deserve to be called comapnion sites, though. Apparently, they moved the little extra material on these sites to eResources pages of the respective titles. At least, the Russian course still has its companion site. (It doesn’t even have the transcript of the recordings. When I asked about it, I was told there was a problem but they never got back to me later).
According to the information on Amazon (which was on Routledge site some time back but not anymore) the forthcoming, new edition of the Dutch course will have a companion site with "free" audio:
This intensive foundation course in Dutch is designed for those with no previous knowledge of the language to CEFR B2/ACTFL Novice-mid. It is fast-paced, providing students with a wide range of activities, and draws on a lively selection of sources from many media. The coursebook has been redesigned and updated to provide new cultural materials, and for the first time, audio materials are freely available on a companion website.

Taking students from beginner to intermediate level in one year, the Routledge Intensive Dutch Course develops a thorough working knowledge of the structures of Dutch and practices the four key skills of language learning. This course will provide students with an understanding of both Dutch and Flemish culture.

An answer key is supplied online for all relevant exercises. Guidance for tutors, as well as links to related sites is available on the Routledge website.

However, based on my previous experience with companion sites, I wouldn’t buy a book if it is heavily dependent on a companion site that is not fully functional at the time of purchase. Companion sites can take many months, sometimes years to materailize. Even then, they tend to fall short of what is promised.
2 x

Legolas
Languages: English, complicated

Postby Legolas » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:48 pm

Dear friends,

I would really appreciate if you send me Answer Key for Intensive Dutch. We don't have it in the book and I can't find it online. It seems that it not available anymore. Can you somehow help me/us with it please? It's really necessary for us to find. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards!
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”