A French Book Reading Resource

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
User avatar
MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: usa
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911
x 1588

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed May 01, 2019 12:36 pm

Carmody wrote:MorkTheFiddle,

Many thanks for the url; yes, I downloaded it and the reader Victoria sounds great to me.

One thing I can't understand is why it is that so many other people know about it and like it. To me it seems to be a book definitely under the radar.

:)
I share your puzzlement. :? But I'm glad you like Victoria. :)
1 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

User avatar
MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: usa
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911
x 1588

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Carmody wrote:Well the two books were:

Une pièce montée which is by Blandine Le Callet | Jan 9, 2007
and
Diary of a Chambermaid which is by Octave Mirbeau 1900.

I think DaveAgain hit the nail on the head about Mirbeau. Copyright laws are a maze to me, but Mirbeau died in 1917, so surely the book is out of copyright by now. Isn't the cut-off date for the USA 1923?. Une pièce montée is a different matter, however.
1 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

User avatar
MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: usa
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911
x 1588

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed May 01, 2019 12:44 pm

DaveAgain wrote:French books seem to have different conventions to british ones. Things I would expect to appear at the front of a book appear instead at the back.
Yes, and the title on the spine of French publications is reversed, something of an irritant when shelving them. :?
3 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

User avatar
Carmody
Blue Belt
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:00 am
Location: NYC, NY
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs
x 1796

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby Carmody » Wed May 08, 2019 6:52 pm

When I read a book, I first do so on an Extensive Reading basis and then the next time on an Intensive Reading basis, plus additional reviews for vocab.

Herewith my review of Le Journal d'une femme de chambre by Octave Mirbeau following my Intensive read through.

Yes, MorktheFiddle is right; it is a joy. I don't think I really got in the swing of it the first time through, but after the second it was a joy. Again, the vocab level makes it special. It is definitely a B1 level for those considering it. And my rating goes from 5/10 of the first run through to 8/10 after this reading.
2 x

User avatar
Carmody
Blue Belt
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:00 am
Location: NYC, NY
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs
x 1796

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby Carmody » Sat May 11, 2019 12:59 am

PfifltriggPi » Tue Apr 30, 2019
I just realized I forgot to put my review of the film version of Une pièce montée here. To recap, for those who do not know, the original book is a 2007 novel telling the story of a bourgeois marriage from the perspective of numerous attendees, and is absolutely amazing.
Many thanks for the suggestion, I am half way through the book at this time. The vocabulary level certainly is reader friendly for me.

Thanks again.
1 x

User avatar
Carmody
Blue Belt
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:00 am
Location: NYC, NY
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs
x 1796

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby Carmody » Tue May 14, 2019 12:43 am

Ok, I have finished Une pièce montée by Blandine Le Callet and loved it. The vocabulary was a breeze and all of it a joy. My thanks again to PfifltriggPi.

If others can recommend books like this, I would be most grateful.

I give it a 8.5/10.
3 x

User avatar
Carmody
Blue Belt
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:00 am
Location: NYC, NY
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs
x 1796

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby Carmody » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 am

Just finished another Amélie Nothomb book. This one is entitled Attentat, and is about a man of 29 years of age who is born repulsively ugly. It deals with the love of physical beauty vs. the love of beauty of the soul.

All of Nothomb’s books deal with philosophical issues and come from an emotional depth that most people would find difficult or painful to read about. Much of her writing is also difficult to read due to her obscure words and references, and yet I do like her and find she definitely holds my interest.

She is not an acquired taste; you either like her or don’t. I do.

I give her writing here an 8/10.

Thanks for stopping by.
3 x

David1917
Green Belt
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:36 am
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Persian, German, French, Old English, Hindi, Arabic, Cornish
x 976

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby David1917 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:38 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Le roi de fer. Read it twice, just because it's fun. But got bogged down in La reine étranglée. I have the set in hard bound copies. Because of Game of Thrones, this set of books may be worth millions. :roll:


How would you rate the difficulty of this series? Basically, I'm feeling the need to "plunge" into reading some real French extensively. Having spoken Spanish for 15 or so years and spent another few poking around at Italian and Portuguese before finally actually studying French, I feel that I should break off the training wheels and get at it. Studying French with Assimil, etc. feels too easy most of the time. I've skimmed the thread and looked up a few of the books listed, and this is the first one that caught my eye, both for its plot and its being a 7-part series I can hope to read in full. Considering the GoT comparison, I assume it is widely palatable for mass consumption.

Basically I don't want to read Harry Potter, but might need to read something at that level or a bit beyond, along the lines of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" or "50 Shades." Any tips appreciated.
3 x

User avatar
MamaPata
Blue Belt
Posts: 982
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:25 am
Location: London
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004
x 1703

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby MamaPata » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:28 pm

David1917 wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:Le roi de fer. Read it twice, just because it's fun. But got bogged down in La reine étranglée. I have the set in hard bound copies. Because of Game of Thrones, this set of books may be worth millions. :roll:


How would you rate the difficulty of this series? Basically, I'm feeling the need to "plunge" into reading some real French extensively. Having spoken Spanish for 15 or so years and spent another few poking around at Italian and Portuguese before finally actually studying French, I feel that I should break off the training wheels and get at it. Studying French with Assimil, etc. feels too easy most of the time. I've skimmed the thread and looked up a few of the books listed, and this is the first one that caught my eye, both for its plot and its being a 7-part series I can hope to read in full. Considering the GoT comparison, I assume it is widely palatable for mass consumption.

Basically I don't want to read Harry Potter, but might need to read something at that level or a bit beyond, along the lines of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" or "50 Shades." Any tips appreciated.


Having been working through this series off an on again, I do really recommend it as a resource. However, I will warn you that it gets a bit tiresome. I tend to need a few months off between books. (And the homophobia got increasingly irritating).
In terms of difficulty, I find it very hard to tell. When I started, I found that I would be fine for a few paragraphs and then have a couple of sentences where I didn't know most of the words. It partly depends on your interests - I'm mostly a 20th century history kind of girl and I have essentially no religious knowledge, so I really struggled at times. Then on the next page when it was political intrigue, I'd be fine for a few pages. But like you say, because it's a series, it built up over the books (two to go). In terms of context, I had studied French throughout school and read several other books first. That doesn't mean you need to, just that I can't comment on how accessible it is for someone else!
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

User avatar
MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Posts: 982
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: usa
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911
x 1588

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:00 am

David1917 wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:Le roi de fer. Read it twice, just because it's fun. But got bogged down in La reine étranglée. I have the set in hard bound copies. Because of Game of Thrones, this set of books may be worth millions. :roll:


How would you rate the difficulty of this series? Basically, I'm feeling the need to "plunge" into reading some real French extensively. Having spoken Spanish for 15 or so years and spent another few poking around at Italian and Portuguese before finally actually studying French, I feel that I should break off the training wheels and get at it. Studying French with Assimil, etc. feels too easy most of the time. I've skimmed the thread and looked up a few of the books listed, and this is the first one that caught my eye, both for its plot and its being a 7-part series I can hope to read in full. Considering the GoT comparison, I assume it is widely palatable for mass consumption.

Basically I don't want to read Harry Potter, but might need to read something at that level or a bit beyond, along the lines of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" or "50 Shades." Any tips appreciated.

Based on the first book and what I have read of the second, the series is definitely along the lines of the series The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It is quite readable in that sense. Although set in the Middle Ages, it is modern in outlook. Not having seen GoT, however, I can't say just exactly what the book and the TV series share in common, but I suggest you go ahead and give it a go.
0 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.


Return to “Language Programs and Resources”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests