TOTW: A French Book Reading Resource

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
DaveAgain
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native), French (intermediate), German (beginner).

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:59 am

I've just finished Occupe-toi d'Amélie by Georges Feydeau. A very funny play. 4/5. :-)

There's a nice film adaption too, with Danielle Darrieux in the title role.
2 x

LoveLanguages
Languages: English(N)

Postby LoveLanguages » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Are these book suitable for beginners?
1 x

Carmody
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Well this is an embarrassing and truly humiliating admission. The Jean Giono book called Regain, that everyone raves about is simply beyond my understanding. Seriously. Everyone raves about it in the book reviews, but the subtlety, symbolism, and manner of writing is simply beyond my skill set to comprehend.

I mean I did try. I even read a Thesis Submitted in Fulfilment of the Requirements for the Degree of MASTER OF ARTS of Rhodes University by Hermione Abel, 1985. Reading through the thesis just underlined how totally out of my depth I was to even think to read it. The thesis details the Greek Mythology and symbolism of the book that I could never even begin to grasp. And I love Greek Mythology. If you are curious the thesis is at:
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/145040903.pdf

Maybe if I had read this book in English first I would have had a chance. However I must confess I was lost from beginning to end in the French version.

I have never had a similar experience with a book in any language in my life.

So in summary, I confess I cannot give this book a grade, as is my custom, but must leave that to others wiser than myself. If you do read and truly understand the book in all its subtleties then, please, by all means fill me in. I understand the basic plot but other than that I am totally and humiliatingly lost. :oops:
3 x

DaveAgain
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native), French (intermediate), German (beginner).

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:24 pm

LoveLanguages wrote:Are these book suitable for beginners?
If you scroll down from Lysander's post there are some suggestions for beginners.

If you're looking for a beginner's course, the french resources thread lists some options.

EDIT
Welcome to the forum! :-)
1 x

Carmody
Brown Belt
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Ok, I know this is using very bad judgement, however I am thinking about reading Les Misérables.

There seem to be many different editions of this in French but I have no idea which is the best French version to buy. If in fact I do read it (which I shouldn't, since I don't always exercise good judgement in all matters) which version should I try?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:53 pm

Carmody wrote:Ok, I know this is using very bad judgement, however I am thinking about reading Les Misérables.

There seem to be many different editions of this in French but I have no idea which is the best French version to buy. If in fact I do read it (which I shouldn't, since I don't always exercise good judgement in all matters) which version should I try?

Read the free one. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17489/17 ... 7489-h.htm

EDIT: Changed link to English translation to Vol I of French work.
3 x

PfifltriggPi
Orange Belt
Languages: Uses daily: Français (heritage) English
Reads: Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:25 am

I just finished "Une pièce montée" by Blandine le Callet today, and goodness gracious, it was amazing.

For those of you who don't know, it is a 2006 novella which describes the wedding and reception of an upper class family in France, from the perspectives of numerous attendees, ranging from the obvious, such as the bride and groom, to the unlikely, such as the 7 year old cousin of the bride and a random acquaintance of the bride's family who really only comes in an attempt to find someone to seduce. It is relatively short and reasonably straightforward, so it would be good for an intermediate class.

With each change of character, of course, also comes a change of tone, and that ability is one of the most remarkable characteristics of the book: the authors style varies wildly, sometimes childlike poetry of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, sometimes the breathtaking descriptions of Albert Camus, sometimes the emotional ferocity of Andrée Ferretti. As the story winds on mysteries are built, clarified and then take a sudden twist again, and the reader's opinions about most of the characters will see-saw wildly as who it is who is describing them changes.

All in all, I would probably rate the book an 8.5/10.
4 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Carmody
Brown Belt
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:18 pm

PfifltriggPi

Thanks so much for your in depth review and rating.
I will definitely be reading it soon.
0 x

PfifltriggPi
Orange Belt
Languages: Uses daily: Français (heritage) English
Reads: Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:14 pm

Carmody wrote:PfifltriggPi

Thanks so much for your in depth review and rating.
I will definitely be reading it soon.

I suppose the only downside is that, due to it's being a recent work, you couldn't find it on line. I don't know if there's an audio book version, although I'd be quite interested if there is. There's also a film adaptation, which my professor has described as "less bad than I remembered". We're watching it sometime in the near future, so I'll be able to comment about it then.
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Carmody
Brown Belt
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:22 am

Well, I have just finished my first light run through of Le Journal d'une femme de chambre by Octave Mirbeau.

"it is a 1900 decadent novel by Octave Mirbeau, published during the Dreyfus Affair. First published in serialized form in L’Écho de Paris from 1891 to 1892"

Frankly I am not sure what to think of it. I never read anything in English like it before.

The good news is that I found it to be unique in the sense that for me at B1 level it presented very few vocabulary problems. At 354 pages there were a lot of words but the author did not delve down into idioms and dialect as say Jean Giono does.

The bad news is that I don't know what to think of it. I usually have a view or opinion on everything but this left me a bit stumped. In many places the author seems to wander off on a tangent for pages. One gets the feeling he was paid by the page............

Each book I read gets an Extensive Read through and then an Intensive Read through, so my opinion might change but as of the moment I would give it a ............................................................................................................5/10
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”