Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby Le Baron » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:55 pm

Carmody wrote:The following debate may be of interest to people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxQ4TcTcPbI

Thanks I'll watch that. Andrew Roberts (in the debate) did a BBC podcast series on Napoleon which I listened to a few years ago, where he rehabilitates Napoleon's reputation for an English audience. I also read his book.
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:45 pm

The book:
Napoleon: The myth of the saviour

The author:
A master of his material.

The book’s editor:
Failed utterly to present the material in an approachable format that the reader could reasonably make sense of. He had no control over his author. In this case, the author went where he wished. And when a person knows a lot on a topic, there are a lot of places he can go.

The book:
At about only 450 pages in length, this book could still be considered truly encyclopedic in its approach to the topic. Being encyclopedic means that the author often went off on tangents(although knowledgeably so). It is one thing to be knowledgeable and another to be able to communicate that knowledge in a meaningful format.

My approach to the book:
To the question of how long does it take to read an encyclopedia, I can only answer…how much time do you have?
One thing I have found very interesting in reading this book is to discover that Napoleon is really a third rail for many people. Everyone seems to have a very clear opinion on the man being either great or horrible.

I find it of special interest to read De Gaulle on the topic of Napoleon:
Over a century later, French President Charles de Gaulle wrote:

Napoleon left France crushed, invaded, drained of blood and courage, smaller than when he had taken control of her destinies, condemned to ill-drawn frontiers, the evils of which still persist, and exposed to the distrust of Europe which has weighed upon her to this day. But it is impossible to dismiss as of no account the matchless lustre which he imparted to our armies.…

I don’t see Napoleon as all bad or all good but a mixture. I could provide a list to substantiate both, however, this Forum is not the place.

A major warning: anyone reading this book must be prepared to do a lot of background reading on the French Revolutionary Wars, and of course be familiar with the French Revolutionary calendar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_calendar

With that being said, I know that I have only scratched the surface when it comes to understanding the man and the roles he played in his life time.

I think it is fair to say also that the author did not make a clear case as to why he thought that Napoleon was the savior of France.

I would give it 4/10 at this time, with the qualification that in another 2-3 weeks when I have read it again, that the number could change.
6 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:28 pm

Herewith an update on my readings:

I have finished my in depth or second reading of Napoleon ou le mythe du sauveur by Jean Tulard. It was a tough read that required lots of background reading, but it was well worth the effort. I would still give it a 4.5/10.

There is an awful lot to be said both good and bad on Napoleon the man, which is probably why so many books are written on him.

Some of the good things to bear in mind that he did:

-Started social security for the miners in 1813. This was well before Bismarck in Germany.

- The Napoleonic Code (French: Code Napoléon, lit. "Code Napoleon"), officially the Civil Code of the French (French: Code civil des Français; simply referred to as Code civil) is the French civil code established under the French Consulate in 1804 and still in force, although frequently amended.
It was drafted by a commission of four eminent jurists and entered into force on 21 March 1804. The Code, with its stress on clearly written and accessible law, was a major step in replacing the previous patchwork of feudal laws. Historian Robert Holtman regards it as one of the few documents that have influenced the whole world.

-The Concordat of 1801 was an agreement between Napoleon and Pope Pius VII. During the French Revolution, the National Assembly had taken Church properties and issued the Civil Constitution of the Clergy. Subsequent laws abolished Christian holidays.

-Promulgated favorable banking and industry laws

-Set up the education system in France with the baccalaureate and the lycées

-Was a master at the use of propaganda from very early on. Even started up two newspapers at the time.

-Was an astute politician and military strategist. He is said to have won something like 56 out of 60 of his battles.

Each one of the above items is worthy of a book in itself.

And ……….he had sleep apnea.

And…..... he was about 5 feet 7 inches in height which was not that short for those days, but he had a real complex because he was born in Corsica and everyone picked on him for speaking French so poorly. So the French pick on everyone for speaking French poorly; even Napoleon. So don’t feel bad or picked on; you are in good company.

Of course once you start reading about Napoleon it is difficult to stop. He is really interesting. So much so that I have bought another book on the man……
Mémoires Sur Napoléon, Le Directoire, Le Consulat l'Empire Et La Restauration; Volume 1 (French Edition)
It is by Louis de Bourrienne and is very much a Primary resource.

||||||||||||||||

Having immersed myself in Napoleon for so long I decided to give it a rest and reread Le Rempart Des Beguines by Francoise Mallet-Joris. I am half way through the book and this is my fourth time through. I find it an interesting read, obviously. It is definitely not a book for everyone. But she and Francois Sagan are a lot better that many people think, in my opinion. 8/10. They are both of a genre that I very much like.

Finally, after I finish that, the next book that I will read will be Journal d’un curé de campagne by Georges Bernanos.

Note: I customarily do my French reading for at least 2 hours each day, sometimes more.

If I can ever be of help to anyone on any of the books I have read, I would welcome the opportunity to do so.
4 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:42 am

The re-reading of Le Rempart Des Beguines by Francoise Mallet-Joris was definitely a worthwhile experience. Have no idea why people do not recommend going back and reading a book for maintaining vocabulary skills.

Am convinced I am the only member on this Forum that knows of this secret.
Last edited by Carmody on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:58 am

Herewith some hopefully helpful info for people buying books in French.

I am currently reading Journal d'un curé de campagne (French Edition) Paperback French Edition by Georges Bernanos.

https://www.amazon.com/Journal-dun-cur%C3%A9-campagne-French/dp/1703999193/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=9781703999198&qid=1631756375&s=books&sr=1-1

As some of you may know, this is one of the classics of French literature, although very much out of favor at this time.

However I am posting this info here so others can learn from my mistakes...in this purchase.

I usually buy all used books but since this is a classic I thought I would splurge......big mistake. The good news is the paper and type font are excellent, however, the actual printing by the publisher is totally unacceptable with among other things no numbers on pages and sentences one line to a page in many instances........

The book does not have a publisher listed anywhere on it so I can not warn you that way. It turns out it was published in Delaware, USA. So people please go with recognized publishers.

Please folks, do as I say and not as I do.
4 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 pm

Another reading resource for you:

The following databases have been developed at ARTFL for free public use.
https://artfl-project.uchicago.edu/content/public-databases
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:11 am

Ok here goes with Journal d'un curé de campagne of Georges Bernanos…all 611 pages, which for me in French is a lot.

Amazon says it is a 1936 novel by the French writer Georges Bernanos. The story is set in Ambricourt in northern France, where a young, newly appointed Catholic priest struggles with stomach pains and the lack of faith within his parish.

I really have to be honest with you and say what I know and what I don’t. I really am a B2 level reader and this is a C2 level book. My thinking at the moment is that the only way to get to C2 is to read a lot with dictionary in hand, of course. The problem is that there are a very large number of idioms along the way that would take a life time to look up. But I did the best I could. If people can tell me a faster way to get to C2 then I am eager to learn.

The author was highly regarded in his time and actually brought back to France by De Gaulle after WW II to serve in his government. (That didn’t last long…)

During the 60’s when I was in my French literature course at university, he was especially highly thought of.
However this is a different time now and I believe literary tastes have changed and one seldom hears of him. One thing hasn’t changed in France between then and now and that is the French predilection for hard core melancholy.
Evidence being the widely popular Goncourt prize winner Michel Houellebecq. I read his The Map and the Territory. He is equal parts highly popular and highly melancholy.

If you can’t handle melancholy don’t dwell on French literature.

I always read books at least twice however I doubt I will do so here for the reason that so very much of the book really is a journal of a priest and his interior dialogue that rambles on and on…..As I said, De Gaulle liked him so I guess the author’s Royalist tendencies were respected by some.

So with all that said I would give it at this time a 5/10.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:56 pm

Carmody wrote:Ok here goes with Journal d'un curé de campagne of Georges Bernanos…all 611 pages, which for me in French is a lot.
So with all that said I would give it at this time a 5/10.
My hat is off to you for finishing a 611-page book that you end up rating only 5/10. I never would have made it to the end. Thanks for saving me the trip. :)
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Your recognition of my feat is greatly appreciated.

I have just started rereading it and find in the first 3 pages his constant mention of ennui with himself and that the town is drowning in ennui.
synonyms:
boredom · tedium · listlessness · lethargy · lassitude · languor · restlessness · weariness · sluggishness · enervation · malaise · dissatisfaction · unhappiness · uneasiness · unease · melancholy · depression · despondency · dejection · disquiet · Weltschmerz

However, I am going to reread it in hopes of getting more vocabulary that i need so much.

I just wish I could get to C!-2 someway. I feel I am doing it the hard way...........
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:26 am

So I have just finished my second read through of Journal d'un curé de campagne by Georges Bernanos. This was the more intensive read through, and at 611 pages it was no easy thing.

This book is in no way a "lapidary novel." He throws words on the page with seemingly limitless abandon and all the time requiring the reader to just hang in there. Yes I know Charles de Gaulle liked him but they both shared Royalist views so that was probably the reason.

From beginning to end he discusses ennui and how hopeless life is. The main character dies of stomach cancer in the end.......

I would give the book 5/10.

I would give myself 8/10 for having the intestinal fortitude to get through these 610 pages........twice.
5 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”