Beginners Travel Phrase Book

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Beginners Travel Phrase Book

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:31 pm

rdearman wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:I'd like to break this down into implementation chunk and requirements:

- creation:
-- list of key phrases
-- class phrases by chapter/sections
-- translated phrases in language xx
-- short mp3 files by author yy in language xx

Well, I can generate a list of key phrases based on the 5-10 various phrase books I have from publishers and I can group these into the standard categories used by these publishers and put them into a spreadsheet. (In English BTW)

I could then put these on to a Google Drive or similar and allow people to send me their L2 translation, which I would then feed back into the spreadsheet.

zenmonkey wrote:-- possibility of selecting an author when multiple people have provided L2 files
-- exporting into an ANKI deck
-- exporting into a pdf and files set
-- must sign in/register to download
-- include transliterations in pdf

I've been playing around with the auth system provided by the phpBB system. We could use the forum for auth and registration for download.

zenmonkey wrote:management:
-- approval steps

-- sound output either:
---- l2 only (anki)
---- l1/l2 (normal)
---- l2/l1/l2slow/l2broken into parts/l2slow/l2normal (extended)

Comments? Feedback?

The files generated by the system I critiqued was as follows.
1 PDF with L1 -> L2 with each phrase numbered, and broken into categories. Hotels, Taxi, Getting Help, etc.
1 Top level directory with sub-directories of categories. Sound files are mp3's stored in the category directory and numbered as per the pdf, with _a for L1 recording and _b for L2 recording.

I'd like to do this as an extension and have and actual authoring system - and possibly avoid using excel sheets and google drive by having it all database driven (mp3 files would just be referenced rather than BLOBs).
I'm thinking that a generic and basic translation management system could be used for this but also for the translation management of the actual site. A common interface for creating the phrase book content or for creating a phpBB language pack - minus the mp3 mgmt.

Although, initially, I see nothing wrong with starting this now with what you describe.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:30 pm

zenmonkey wrote:I'd like to do this as an extension and have and actual authoring system - and possibly avoid using excel sheets and google drive by having it all database driven (mp3 files would just be referenced rather than BLOBs).
I'm thinking that a generic and basic translation management system could be used for this but also for the translation management of the actual site. A common interface for creating the phrase book content or for creating a phpBB language pack - minus the mp3 mgmt.

Although, initially, I see nothing wrong with starting this now with what you describe.

Actually, I like the sound of your extension better. :)
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:54 pm

rdearman wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:I'd like to do this as an extension and have and actual authoring system - and possibly avoid using excel sheets and google drive by having it all database driven (mp3 files would just be referenced rather than BLOBs).

Actually, I like the sound of your extension better. :)

Maybe (and thank you :) ) but it is a big undertaking. Starting on the content will not hinder us from uploading it later into a repository.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:48 am

Wonder if we'd ever get around to this?
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:59 pm

rdearman wrote:Wonder if we'd ever get around to this?

Lol. This topic came back on a search. I think along the way I way over-complicated things.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”