German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

Re: 17 Minutes language program?

Postby Soclydeza » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:44 pm

Gordafarin2 wrote:Soclydeza and anyone else who has tried this site - how exportable is the vocab that you get? If I could take that data with me and use it in the SRS app of my choice, it'd be more attractive to me than having to access it through a website.

There is no export feature, but on the website you can look up all the words within a certain level. They are kind of embedded on the page in a column format; if you highlight them all, copy and do a paste in a spreadsheet program, the words will show up. Just a few seconds of tweaking the format in an ordered fashion and you're good to go. The whole process can be done in less than 10 seconds. I know Quizlet lets you import in this format directly, I'm not sure how Anki or any of the other will work, but I imagine similar.

Gordafarin2 wrote:I tried to access their free demo and, not encouragingly, it didn't work in my browser at all...

Yeah, the website is really clunky. Like I said, it feels like a page from 2005 that's never been updated. The actual card-study session itself works fine though. It works for me in Firefox and Chrome.
1 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:09 pm

ASEAN wrote:EDIT: I checked the website less than 48 hours after making this post and the $30 promotion appears to be over. I recommend checking the site weekly between now and New Year's Day to see if the promotion returns. Many language learning course companies have sales between October and the first of the year.

It was over when I got there on Saturday.

However, for some reason they allowed me to have a 25% discount (that's what the banner/pop-up said) on any course of my choosing so I bought one. In fact, I'd say it was 50% since the course bundles are $97 I believe and I got mine for $49.95 or something. I have an offer currently sitting on the main page of the website (after I login) that will allow me to buy another "complete package" of my choosing for $30.

So far I'd have to rate this program as interesting. It could be so much more than what it is for the levels it covers. I have yet to find a true "course" for intermediate and advanced Korean, other than ones that strictly cover grammar. What I'd like of this program is grammar explanations which include details of nuance for the structures. If they never expanded it that way, I'd still like that for the vocabulary. Something that would be cool for Korean is something like Ninchinese, or at least a more complete learning platform. Lingodeer is getting there. (And yes, I know no one app can teach you everything, but I can hope for one that lays good foundations.) And are 5,000 words enough vocabulary for C1? I know there's all sorts of estimates flying around, some saying that you don't need 10,000 words to be as eloquent as a high schooler (what's considered effectively fluent, even if people wouldn't like to be associated with a 17 year-old), others saying you need as much as 20,000 words to be well-spoken.

I can't say this was a great investment of my money, at least not yet. I work at a restaurant where $50 feeds a family of five (a little on the expensive side) so...

These courses expire ten years after you get them.
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 am

What do the proficiency courses look like?
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:30 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:What do the proficiency courses look like?

I can't access my package without taking a proficiency test and I don't know how re-taking affects the program, or if you can re-take (although I do see an option like that on the sidebar). I'm definitely not advanced enough to take the C1 exam, so... (I bought the Korean package.) You'll probably have to ask @Soclydeza. My package includes 2,100 words for studying for that level.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”