I would like to know how similar Urdu and Farsi are regarding to their vocabulary and grammar. An estimated percentage like given here http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/ ... index.html would be really helpful.
I do know that there is a certain percentage of shared vocabulary but I couldn't find anything with regard to grammar.
Thank you in advance.
All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Blue Belt
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:55 am
- Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
- Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237
- x 1808
I haven't studied either of these languages yet, but just a bit earlier today I came across this article in Encyclopædia Iranica. About halfway through it goes into the section titled Urdu and Persian, which provides lots of examples of Persian influence on Urdu in terms of vocabulary, syntax, morphology and other aspects. While it doesn't say much directly about the differences, I suppose it's a good place to start.
- Blue Belt
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 pm
- Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).
- x 654
I've read that Urdu shares its grammar with Hindi, and that the two are mutually intelligible or very close to it. But Urdu's vocabulary and writing system derive from Persian.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: nooj and 1 guest