Intermediate vocabulary app + ClozeMaster alternative

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
klin21698
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (N), Spanish (C1), Russian (B1)

Intermediate vocabulary app + ClozeMaster alternative

Postby klin21698 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:21 am

Hi everyone. I’d like to introduce ListLang, which is a free language learning app that I’ve been working on. The goal is to teach vocabulary in context and to cater to your skill level and interests. It’s geared towards the intermediate level, so some familiarity with vocabulary and grammar is required.

I drew inspiration from Clozemaster, which uses the concept of ‘cloze’ words. If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a word or phrase is left out of a sentence and you try to fill in the blank. This helps enforce the meaning of the word in context, and you also learn some common usages instead of the rote memorization of a word to its translation. Clozemaster recently made it nearly prohibitive to study under the free plan, so I’m hoping this can serve as a good alternative.

This is still very much a work in progress (especially the part with catering to your skill level and interests), as I’d like to have some fun with some natural language processing research down the line, but the basic functionalities are there: fill-in-the-blank cloze quizzes based on frequency lists, SRS (spaced-repetition system), TTS (text-to-speech), and a statistics dashboard to track your progress.

Hopefully this app can be helpful for those who are at an intermediate level in their target language, and for those who want a boost to their vocabulary. The language pairs I currently have are English to Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, and Russian. I’m actively working on this, so I would also appreciate any feedback or suggestions that you may have.

Links:
iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/listlang/id1640739764
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.projects.listlang
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”