Converting LPs and Cassettes to MP3

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
AnthonyLauder
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Everything Else (A0)

Converting LPs and Cassettes to MP3

Postby AnthonyLauder » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:54 pm

I have quite a lot of old language courses, for which the audio came on vinyl records or cassettes.

For the past few years, I have from time to time played such cassettes on an old walkman, attached to the headphone socket of my computer, to make recordings. This, unfortunately, results in mono rather than stereo recordings. Is there a better way to do this? Can you recommend some equipment that will help me record from cassettes and retain the stereo?

In terms of the vinyl recordings, I must admit that I have never done anything with them. Googling a few months ago showed me that there were some record players available that attached to computers, but they were priced at around $400, which seemed a bit much for my needs. Are there cheaper options you can think of? If not, I guess my vinyl records will remain collecting dust.
1 x

Speakeasy

Re: Converting LPs and Cassettes to MP3

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:51 pm

Hello, Anthony. The most functional method of digitizing sound files from shellac or vinyl records, cassette tapes, and other audio sources is likely the freely-available AUDACITY software that you can easily find on the internet. Like everything else in life, there is a learning curve in mastering the essential steps. However, the basics are pretty simple.

I would not recommend resorting to the cassette players and turntables which are offered on the major online shopping websites. While these devices are simple to use, they have developed a reputation for very poor reliability (they simply cease working), the conversion software often yields mp3 files filled with screeching or rumbling sounds, and the stylus’ on the turntables are of such a low quality that they will likely dig deep grooves into your vinyl records, permanently damaging them as a good sound source.

Many experienced users recommend that the digitizing process be first to FLACS or at least WAV and subsequently to MP3. In my case, I use a small device that I purchased some years ago with which I am quite satisfied (I have been publicly castigated for using this simple, direct device). Here are a few LINKS:

Audacity (audio editor) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity_(audio_editor)

Audacity - FLOSS Manual
http://write.flossmanuals.net/audacity/introduction/

Audacity - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=audacity

Digitizing tapes with Audacity, part I - HTLAL - August 2011
Possible out-of-date, but worth reading
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28969&PN=43

FSI More Language (Audacity Tips) - HTLAL - February 2015
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40084&PN=4
3 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:58 pm

AnthonyLauder wrote:I have from time to time played such cassettes on an old walkman, attached to the headphone socket of my computer, to make recordings. This, unfortunately, results in mono rather than stereo recordings. Is there a better way to do this? Can you recommend some equipment that will help me record from cassettes and retain the stereo?

In terms of the vinyl recordings, I must admit that I have never done anything with them. Googling a few months ago showed me that there were some record players available that attached to computers, but they were priced at around $400, which seemed a bit much for my needs. Are there cheaper options you can think of? If not, I guess my vinyl records will remain collecting dust.

It should be possible to attach any old cassette player or turnable to an amplifier (all three can be picked up used very cheaply) and the headphone socket of the amplifier run into a computer to use audacity, usinga 3.5mm audio jack (again, cheap, though you might want the slightly more unusual 4 pin version).
This is actually pretty simple, and much more reliable than specially-bought equipment. I've used this for cassettes, and the only advantage is speed.
If audio is mono in the sense of one side only having audio, audacity can copy it across to other track so you can hear it on both sides.
3 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:49 pm

You don't need to spend £400 on a record player for basic archiving. I bought a Ion Profile for £15 in a Cash Converter type junk shop when my record player was being repaired - As Speakeasy says they aren't great, but it worked for what I needed it for (although I was pleased to get my Technics back). I think new they are £50 new - which is probably too much, but on ebay they go cheap - and they just plug into your computer to use to record directly to Audacity (although I prefer Reaper).
2 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:29 pm

Do you still have your Walkman? If so, I’m thinking why not stick with that?

I don’t quite understand your issue with mono. Do you mean mono or “only one track of a stereo recording”. Mono really should be quite fine. Or are you losing “info” eg not hearing one of the participants in a conversation. Or are you hearing everything but only through one side of your headphones eg left or right? Or are you getting all the info through both sides but want the marvels of stereo (ie different info on each side).

If you could clarify what your situation is regarding “mono” it would make it easier for people to assist you.

Cheers.
0 x

AnthonyLauder
Orange Belt

Postby AnthonyLauder » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:21 am

Adrianslont wrote:Or are you getting all the info through both sides but want the marvels of stereo (ie different info on each side).

Yes, exactly this. I was hoping that if two people were talking that it would be one person in each ear.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:10 am

AnthonyLauder wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:Or are you getting all the info through both sides but want the marvels of stereo (ie different info on each side).

Yes, exactly this. I was hoping that if two people were talking that it would be one person in each ear.

Okay.

Are your source cassettes actually recorded like this? Even if so I personally wouldn’t be bothered about any mixing down to mono but fair enough if you want to retain that feature. And I only wear one AirPod anyway because of poor hearing in the other ear.

Back to your issue. Are your 3.5mm jacks stereo or mono? Stereo will have two bands on the jack, mono will have one band. Also, I’ve just realised you said the “headphone socket of my computer”. I guess you don’t really mean headphone? It should go into the blue “line in”.

Good luck. I haven’t done this kind of thing for years but have had some success in the past and learned these few things. Hopefully they are helpful. Cheers.
1 x

AnthonyLauder
Orange Belt

Postby AnthonyLauder » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Adrianslont wrote:I’ve just realised you said the “headphone socket of my computer”. I guess you don’t really mean headphone? It should go into the blue “line in”.

Unfortunately, my computer doesn't have a "line in". It only has a single audio jack, that doubles as both headphone and microphone jack.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:55 pm

AnthonyLauder wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:I’ve just realised you said the “headphone socket of my computer”. I guess you don’t really mean headphone? It should go into the blue “line in”.

Unfortunately, my computer doesn't have a "line in". It only has a single audio jack, that doubles as both headphone and microphone jack.

I’m guessing that input is mono, then? You probably need to find a computer with stereo line in. Good luck.
0 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 am

Anthony, does your computer have a USB port? You can buy USB audio input thingies for relatively cheap on Amazon or ebay. Just type in USB audio input.
3 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”