Cebuano (Bisaya, Visayan) Resources

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Cebuano (Bisaya, Visayan) Resources

Postby rdearman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:00 pm

I am looking for an owner for this thread. If you want to manage and update this first post for this language, let me know.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:21 am, edited 11 times in total.
6 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Re: Cebuano (Bisaya, Visayan) Resources

Postby Whodathunkitz » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:26 am

Wow! Thank you very much. When I started learning Cebuano / Bisaya / Bisaya / Visayan / Boholano (hello search engines) 4 plus years ago as my first language I had difficulty finding anything useful (to me, as a novice). These are great links and other resources!

I'll add the following, best grammar for a language novice is called something like 'cebuano language objectives' and 'mormon' is used in the course description. Short, simple, clear.

Previously very few memrise courses, there are now some great sentence based ones. Unfortunately memrise are messing about with user generated content.

John Paul senial (spelling?) YouTube videos.

Cebuano studies center at San Carlos University (bring passport / Id for all visitors) in Cebu city. Poetry, dual language books and a course.

I mostly use memrise plus readlang.com together with daily speaking of the language with my spouse and frequently with her friends at get togethers. I did find one tutor but timezones and bad internet make it hard.

I switch readlang to filipino but use a Cebuano custom dictionary, glosbe, binisaya.com or another one that escapes me.

For texts I use either agony aunt / advice columns (private in readlang) or Facebook posts by a priest who discusses a wide range of subjects (Greek mythology, how the mind works, people) in beautifully clear Cebuano (again private in readlang). I won't name him publicly but private message me for info.

I have read about 9000 words via readlang and 180000 words via bible.is (listening reading) which also has audio. The version I used on bible.is app is old language. A newer printed bible can be bought in Philippines (maayong balita? Light green) With 1973 language (which is still unlike modern colloquial Cebuano). I mention the bible purely as it is the only long text with audio that I am aware of. Binisaya.com has some texts but they tend to be very literary and not easy to understand. Mormon websites have many texts but I haven't explored them. Wikipedia has some but also very many bot generated articles on plants etc. Try world war 2 (ikaduha gubat?) and countries and then follow links.

Thanks again!
0 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”