The Nature Method Institute's Language Courses

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
galaxyrocker
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: The Nature Method Institute's Language Courses

Postby galaxyrocker » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:36 pm

neumanc wrote: Until now, I thought they were the same.

I was more referencing the ones the Humboldt institute created itself. Apparently those are of a much lesser quality, and are more like Assimil than a true nature method book.
1 x

indeclinable
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), German (C1), Latin (C1), French (B2), Ancient Greek (B1), Italian (A2).

Want to study: Japanese & Russian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8803

Postby indeclinable » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 am

I'm not familiar with all of the methods used by the Humboldt Insitute, but the ones I've superficially seen (with the exception of the Russian one) are not the ones made by Jensen. They do have an emphasis on dialogue and communication but they're not the "monolingual graded novels" typical of the "Jensenian school".
1 x
Omnis lingua usu potius discitur quam praeceptis, id est audiendo, legendo, relegendo, imitationem manu et lingua temptando quam creberrime. – Iohannes Amos Comenius

FernandoTercio
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (native), English (advanced), French (beginner), Mandarin (total beginner)

Postby FernandoTercio » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:03 pm

I have the Latin one "Familia Romana" I think it was called. I did a semester of Latin back in college (damn it hurts to say back in college :lol: ) and used it to dive a little deeper. Unfortunately being the dilettante that I am I completely forgot about it up to this present moment. I would recommend it in an eye-bat to anyone wanting to learn Latin.

I also looked it up the French course from the Nature Method Institute and, apparently, it's the same process, so I guess it will be good too. The problem is, of course, that this couldn't work for very separated languages ala spanish-mandarin.
3 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: it ru | tr ga de

Postby Xmmm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:10 am

indeclinable wrote:The Spanish one was never finished, as far as I’m aware they only made 10 chapters or so. But I have never seen it.

The German one is supposedly complete, if anyone can locate it I’d be eternally grateful.

Is there any reason why these books here (Studien und Plaudereien 1&2) would not be an acceptable substitute? They seem to be trying to do the same thing ...
0 x
You must set your hands to tasks which you can finish or at least hope to finish, and avoid those which get bigger as you proceed -- Seneca

Doitsujin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:36 am

Xmmm wrote:Is there any reason why these books here (Studien und Plaudereien 1&2) would not be an acceptable substitute? They seem to be trying to do the same thing ...
Unfortunately, these books are hopelessly outdated. If it has to be a direct method textbook for German, I'd recommend the following modern book instead:
Deutsche Sprachlehre für Ausländer by Dora Schulz and Heinz Griesbach (Amazon.de link with book preview; Google Books).
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”