A Language Learner's Forum Film Club

Practice your target languages here.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Not the Real HTLAL Film Club 2015

Postby rdearman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:12 am

I would just like to reitterate and summarise iguanamon's rules for this thread.
  1. You are encouraged to write in any TL if you wish, but it isn't required.
  2. You must not post links to illegal downloads, illegal dvd purchases or illegal streaming sites including full movies or series on youtube/vimeo as per Forum Rules.
  3. Links to short clips should be in accordance with the CODE OF BEST PRACTICES IN FAIR USE FOR ONLINE VIDEO. For the purposes of this thread on this forum, that anything over 6 minutes (not specifically made for youtube or the web or freely published by the copyright owner) is crossing the line. Official trailers can make the post fun for others and illustrate your topic well. They are widely available and legal to use without worry.
  4. Images can also make a post fun, but keep in mind that too much of a good thing can spoil that fun. Be judicious about image use. Please check your post to see if the photo is too large. If you can't edit the image to fit within the optimum screen width for reading, please delete it and provide a link instead.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Re: Not the Real HTLAL Film Club 2015

Postby sillygoose1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:45 pm

If you guys like Lalola, there's also a telenovela called Guapas that I've been watching. It's the same lead actress from Lalola + a few other big Argentine novela stars. Don't let appearances fool you, it's pretty funny. Although it can get a little too dramatic at times I admit.

And for those learning French, I'd recommend some of these pretty advanced series:

This is another French comedy that I've finished recently. It gets pretty crazy:

3 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Postby sillygoose1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:48 pm

I forgot to mention - these are incredible Italian shows too:

1 x

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Postby Via Diva » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:52 am

More weird Czech cinema for you...
Rok ďábla / The year of the devil (2002)

(bits of my review are arrogantly stolen from one which was left on the Russian answer to IMDb)
Have you ever wondered what does the Czech Republic sound like? Yes, you say? Then watch this.
There's no way to define the genre of the movie, hehe. Drama? Nope. Comedy? Not really. Mystic? No. But it all and maybe something else combines into this movie. It's not completely in Czech, but also in English and with just a bit of Dutch. People and projects featured there are real. Jaromír Nohavica is a really, really famous singer and songwriter (like Высоцкий in Russia, one can say), Karel Plíhal is a folk/jazz-guitarist, Čechomor is a Czech folk band, Jaz Coleman is a frontman of Killing Joke. Well, when I explain you all that I only know I a bit about Nohavica, the rest were unknown, but now I am interested in them all. And if you watch the movie I guess you would be interested too.
There's not too much music to get you bored (in case you're not a fan of that sort of thing), the plot is really interesting, and you would have a lot to think about when you're done watching.
Just in case my description is a bit vague I'll quote this:
Dutch documentary film director, Jan Holman, goes to the Czech Republic to make a film about curing alcoholism. At an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting he finds a man named Jaromir Nohavica who becomes his friend. Another friend of Nohavica, Karel Plihal, becomes mute, and Nohavica decides to start a tour with the band Čechomor to help cure him. When Jan Holman follows with his camera in tow, he finds many inexplicable events along the way.

(again, please provide a feedback, if you have some)
0 x

aabram
Orange Belt
Languages: Active: Estonian (N), English, Russian, Finnish
Passive: French, Spanish
In-between: Mandarin
Hit list: Lithuanian

Postby aabram » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:31 am

Just discovered today, that China HunanTV official channel has begun offering English subtitles for some of their shows, popular 爸爸去哪儿 being the first. Good thing is that you can have both subtitles on screen at the same time so it makes easy to follow.

Check out their subtitled shows here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 4OugGNHEXp
1 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:28 am

I probably posted it on HTLAL as well, but I was shown this nice Italian film map last year and it's been inspiring some of my recent choices.

It's a mix of classic and modern, with films that are supposed to be representative of different regions. The ones I've seen so far:

Capitali umano: modern drama.
Pane e tulipani: romantic comedy.
Amarcord: cultural satire by Fellini.
Paris Dabar: strange unscripted "documentary" of a drinking contest in Bologna.
Amici miei: 70s comedy.
Il marchese del grillo: historical comedy.
Amori tossico: about young drug addicts.
Rocco e i suoi fratelli: story of brothers from the South who go to Milan.
Basilicata Coast to Coast: feel-good comedy about musicians.
Anime nere: Calabrian gangster story.
Nuovo cinema paradiso: great classic, if you're into Italian cinema you'll already know it!
Divorzio all'italiano: classic comedy making fun of traditional society.
Sedotta e abbandonata: similar.
Banditi ad Orgosolo: a Sardinian shepherd gets unwillingly caught up in crime.
5 x

AlexTG
Green Belt
Languages: Easy to Read: English(N), French, Spanish
Able to Read: German, Latin
Learning to Read: Japanese, Hindi/Urdu

Re: A Language Learners’ Forum Film Club 2015

Postby AlexTG » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Y'all need to look out for the 8 episode German language spy-thriller "Deutschland 83". It finished a few weeks ago on the American cable channel SundanceTV. It was made in conjunction with the German channel RTL, but hasn't been shown there yet. It was sooo fun, the main character's an adorable 24 year old East German who is thrown into being a secret agent on a West German military base. There's supposed to be a second season set in '86 and a third set in '89. If you like eighties music then you are going to have a good time :!:.

It's available on itunes for $14

1 x

zatris
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (native), English (?), Latin (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 81&p=92296

Postby zatris » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:26 pm

garyb wrote:I probably posted it on HTLAL as well, but I was shown this nice Italian film map last year and it's been inspiring some of my recent choices.

It's a mix of classic and modern, with films that are supposed to be representative of different regions. The ones I've seen so far:

Capitali umano: modern drama.
Pane e tulipani: romantic comedy.
Amarcord: cultural satire by Fellini.
Paris Dabar: strange unscripted "documentary" of a drinking contest in Bologna.
Amici miei: 70s comedy.
Il marchese del grillo: historical comedy.
Amori tossico: about young drug addicts.
Rocco e i suoi fratelli: story of brothers from the South who go to Milan.
Basilicata Coast to Coast: feel-good comedy about musicians.
Anime nere: Calabrian gangster story.
Nuovo cinema paradiso: great classic, if you're into Italian cinema you'll already know it!
Divorzio all'italiano: classic comedy making fun of traditional society.
Sedotta e abbandonata: similar.
Banditi ad Orgosolo: a Sardinian shepherd gets unwillingly caught up in crime.

Great to see there Quattro mosche di velluto grigio, a fantastic giallo directed by Dario Argento. I'm a fan of Italian cinema - from the classics to the genre movies of the 60s and beyond (Argento, Bava, Fulci, Lenzi's poliziotteschi, etc.) - and I look forward to when I'll be able to rewatch several of those movies without subtitles (and watch the ones that I couldn't watch precisely because of the lack of a translation in Portuguese or English).
2 x
Corrections are welcome.

I have the patience of an ox. (Gustave Doré)

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Re: A Language Learners’ Forum Film Club 2015

Postby brilliantyears » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:20 pm

AlexTG wrote:Y'all need to look out for the 8 episode German language spy-thriller "Deutschland 83". It finished a few weeks ago on the American cable channel SundanceTV. It was made in conjunction with the German channel RTL, but hasn't been shown there yet. It was sooo fun, the main character's an adorable 24 year old East German who is thrown into being a secret agent on a West German military base. There's supposed to be a second season set in '86 and a third set in '89. If you like eighties music then you are going to have a good time :!:.

This has been on my radar but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Good to hear from (yet) another person that it's worth it :)

I'm pretty much exclusively focusing on Japanese. I finished the 猫侍 drama, which was really good casual entertainment. I haven't decided yet what my next dorama is going to be. I've got a few sci-fi-ish competitors (JIN-仁-, 七瀬ふたたび, and 安堂ロイド), but I'm also enjoying silly 時代劇 lately so 信長協奏曲 or season 2 of 信長のシェフ are options to... (or just JIN-仁-, the perfect combination of the two genres, I guess)

Anyway, tonight I watched the movie 御法度 (Gohatto, 'Taboo'). I've heard mixed opinions on it, but I thought it was beautiful.
0 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:25 pm

zatris wrote:Great to see there Quattro mosche di velluto grigio, a fantastic giallo directed by Dario Argento.

That's one of the ones I hadn't seen and I didn't know it was a giallo. I'll try to watch it tonight! Several of my (non-Italian-speaking) friends are big giallo fans, and if I ever mention Italian cinema that's what always comes up.
1 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”