Practice my English!

Practice your target languages here.
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Practice my English!

Postby smallwhite » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:15 am

Now I remember that a friend of mine studied Mechanical Engineering. Not that I knew what mechanical engineering meant... But I think I get it now. So in Mechanical Whatever, you design stuff that has some mechanism to move, with springs and cogwheels and levers, I suppose, while in Industrial Design, you design static (?) stuff as well like Tupperware containers.

So Floxfloer, what do you have to learn in order to design your mechanical stuff? I know they talk about ergonomics - what is that and what other knowledge do you need? And where do your ideas come from when you design something?
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:53 am

"Industrial design is a process of design applied to products that are to be manufactured through techniques of mass production. Its key characteristic is that design is separated from manufacture: the creative act of determining and defining a product's form and features takes place in advance of the physical act of making a product, which consists purely of repeated, often automated, replication. This distinguishes industrial design from craft-based design, where the form of the product is determined by the product's creator at the time of its creation.

All manufactured products are the result of a design process, but the nature of this process can take many forms: it can be conducted by an individual or a large team; it can emphasize intuitive creativity or calculated scientific decision-making, and often emphasizes both at the same time; and it can be influenced by factors as varied as materials, production processes, business strategy and prevailing social, commercial or aesthetic attitudes. The role of an industrial designer is to create and execute design solutions for problems of form, function, usability, physical ergonomics, marketing, brand development, sustainability, and sales." - Wikipedia

"Mechanical engineering is the discipline that applies engineering, physics, and materials science principles to design, analyze, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems. It is one of the oldest and broadest of the engineering disciplines.

The mechanical engineering field requires an understanding of core areas including mechanics, dynamics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis, and electricity. In addition to these core principles, mechanical engineers use tools such as computer-aided design (CAD), and product life cycle management to design and analyze manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, heating and cooling systems, transport systems, aircraft, watercraft, robotics, medical devices, weapons, and others. It is the branch of engineering that involves the design, production, and operation of machinery.

Mechanical engineering emerged as a field during the Industrial Revolution in Europe in the 18th century; however, its development can be traced back several thousand years around the world. In the 19th century, developments in physics led to the development of mechanical engineering science. The field has continually evolved to incorporate advancements; today mechanical engineers are pursuing developments in such areas as composites, mechatronics, and nanotechnology. It also overlaps with aerospace engineering, metallurgical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, manufacturing engineering, chemical engineering, industrial engineering, and other engineering disciplines to varying amounts. Mechanical engineers may also work in the field of biomedical engineering, specifically with biomechanics, transport phenomena, biomechatronics, bionanotechnology, and modeling of biological systems."- Wikipedia

So then, I think that Aokoye wins this round. Unless, of course, Floxfloer believes that the second article above better describes his area of study. Florian, which is it?
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 am

I was just making conversation for OP to practise their English.
3 x

Floxfloer
White Belt
Languages: French(N) English (B2) Spanish (B1)

Postby Floxfloer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:01 pm

"mechanical engineering" is better to discribe my studies because "Industrial design" its a part of our job.

The most important things to design mechanical stuff is the technological knowledge. Today invent a solution is rare and sometimes it's not the best idea. So we learn how to analyse mechanical systems, to find the good points and the bad points of a system !

We do a lot , lot lot of math to put our problems in mathematical equation.

And we learn how to use designing software :D

For the economic part I will learn that the next year in the engineering school :D But we know the basics on the that.
The basics are : _ What industrial process we will use a specific product .... :D

And you guys in what field are your working on ? :)
3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Floxfloer wrote: And you guys in what field are your working on ?
I am now retired, having been invited to do so "voluntarily" by the Robber Barons who purchased and despoiled my former employer who, only a few years prior, had wantonly marauded, pillaged, and plundered Pechiney SA ... the popular, informal, American idiom "what goes around, comes around" captures the process rather nicely.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Floxfloer wrote:And you guys in what field are your working on ? :)

I'm a linguistics student at one of the few applied linguistics programs in the US (or the world for that matter - there are more linguistics programs than applied linguistics programs). My primary interests are language education policy in K-16 institutions (so kindergarten through college) and health literacy which, sadly, don't go together very well. I also am a research assistant for one of the professors in that department. Within that capacity I collect, transcribe (and translate), and analyze language data from German speakers. The transcriptions are done using conversation analysis conventions and the analysis that we do is more or less strictly conversation analysis, which is a type of discourse analysis.

Outside of that I also am a choral singer. This is my third year in my university's men's choir. We sing alone, with the other auditioned choirs at my university, and with orchestras.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:56 pm

aokoye wrote: ... Outside of that I also am a choral singer. This is my third year in my university's men's choir. We sing alone, with the other auditioned choirs at my university, and with orchestras.
Several recent, independent, studies of brain chemistry indicate that the dopamine levels of choral singers increase by as much as 50% during practice and by as much as 150% during performance. Hallelujah!
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:11 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
aokoye wrote: ... Outside of that I also am a choral singer. This is my third year in my university's men's choir. We sing alone, with the other auditioned choirs at my university, and with orchestras.
Several recent, independent, studies of brain chemistry indicate that the dopamine levels of choral singers increase by as much as 50% during practice and by as much as 150% during performance. Hallelujah!

We've also had amusing conversations among ourselves about how pot and alcohol (not at the same time!) affect our voices. Essentially the consensus is it does for the better but only very acutely :lol:

The logic being that you sing better when you're relaxed and thus. I will admit to not having tried this experiment.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Floxfloer
White Belt
Languages: French(N) English (B2) Spanish (B1)

Postby Floxfloer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Speakeasy wrote: Pechiney SA ...
Oh, I checked on the internet and this company was created in my little region in south of France.... Its a strange fact !! :o

Speakeasy its really interesting to learn other languages, its what I try to do but its complicate :D It gave you the opportunity to travel ?
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 am

Floxfloer wrote:The most important things to design mechanical stuff is the technological knowledge. Today invent a solution is rare and sometimes it's not the best idea. So we learn how to analyse mechanical systems, to find the good points and the bad points of a system !

That's a very good point, and applies to many other things.
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”