German mitlesen?

Practice your target languages here.
rtickner
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (0)

Re: German mitlesen?

Postby rtickner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 pm

I'm definitely in - have we decided on a title and a starting date yet?

I haven't read Tintenherz, have read Die Verwandlung by Kafka, Harry Potter series, some of the Wheel of Time series, and quite a few others which I have now forgotten.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:26 am

reineke wrote:Der Richter und sein Henker

"Together with Dürrenmatt's The Pledge: Requiem for the Detective Novel, these stories are considered classics of crime fiction, fusing existential philosophy and the detective genre."

I read that one in school as it really is a classic. Interesting is, that the book was not finished, when they started publishing it in a newspaper. (If I remember correctly even Dürrenmatt himself didn't know how the story will end.)

reineke wrote:Felidae - Der Katzenkrimi Taschenbuch – 1989
von Akif Pirinçci 280p

You might not know this, but the author has been found guilty of incitement of hatred ("Volksverhetzung") just recently, because of a speech in 2015. There's also a boycott of the author's works by book shops and the publishing house since 2015. As far as I know the author's political views are not visible in the Felidae-books, which is also the reason, why the boycott has been subject to critism as well. However, in my opinion it would be a weird/unsuitable choice for a read-along in an international forum, where everyone should feel welcome and free to join.
(This is just meant for your information, I don't want to start a political discussion here. If you want to know more about the case, just use Wikipedia or Google.)
2 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:43 pm

tiia wrote:
reineke wrote:Der Richter und sein Henker

"Together with Dürrenmatt's The Pledge: Requiem for the Detective Novel, these stories are considered classics of crime fiction, fusing existential philosophy and the detective genre."

I read that one in school as it really is a classic. Interesting is, that the book was not finished, when they started publishing it in a newspaper. (If I remember correctly even Dürrenmatt himself didn't know how the story will end.)

reineke wrote:Felidae - Der Katzenkrimi Taschenbuch – 1989
von Akif Pirinçci 280p

You might not know this, but the author has been found guilty of incitement of hatred ("Volksverhetzung") just recently, because of a speech in 2015. There's also a boycott of the author's works by book shops and the publishing house since 2015. As far as I know the author's political views are not visible in the Felidae-books, which is also the reason, why the boycott has been subject to critism as well. However, in my opinion it would be a weird/unsuitable choice for a read-along in an international forum, where everyone should feel welcome and free to join.
(This is just meant for your information, I don't want to start a political discussion here. If you want to know more about the case, just use Wikipedia or Google.)

Thanks Tiia. I saw some headlines.

"Akif Pirinçci, the best-selling novelist behind the '90s cat crime series "Felidae," has been found guilty of anti-immigrant extremist commentary again, despite having emigrated to Germany from Turkey himself." He has been fined €5,100, or $5,416, for an inflammatory post on his website.

Ehh... Felidae is great language material and the boycott might have turned his books into Schnäppchen. I don't think the suggestion was inappropriate but there are plenty of other books to choose from.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:36 pm

This morning I discovered a page called "5 German Novels For Beginners and Intermediate German Learners". There are brief descriptions of the following five short* works:

"Die Verwandlung" – “Metamorphosis”, by Franz Kafka
"Homo Faber. Ein Bericht," by Max Frisch
"Die Schachnovelle" – “The Royal Game”, by Stefan Zweig
Der Richter und sein HenkerThe Judge and His Hangman, by Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Das Parfum. Die Geschichte eines MördersPerfume: The Story of a Murderer, by Patrick Süskind

There are also at least parts of audiobooks for each work, and links to sources for each.
Much to my surprise, my local library has a copy in German (and only in German) of "Homo Faber. Ein Bericht," so I reserved it.

* Der Richter und sein Henker is rather short for a novel, taking up only 93 pages of Die Kriminalromane. According to Amazon, the English translation of Das Parfum. Die Geschichte eines Mörders is 255 pages long.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Bumping this. It's been 11 weeks since the thread was created. Shall we just go with Der Richter und sein Henker to get going? It should be a really quick read to ease us in but give enough time to figure out the next book.
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”