How many years does it take to learn the second language as your native?

Practice your target languages here.
blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: How many years does it take to learn the second language as your native?

Postby blaurebell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 am

desitrader wrote:LesRonces wrote:
but there are millions of people who butcher the language when they speak who know every single thing they hear.

Not when they hear an accent from a less familiar social background, like for example working-class accent, which a native (who is not from a working-class background) would have no problem understanding.

Please don't generalise from your own experience. I find switching between registers pretty easy and I understand working class folks just as well as rich or super educated people. I might run into trouble with accents of regions where I've never been, but that's completely normal. Many natives don't understand unfamiliar accents either. Otherwise thick Bavarian accents or Swiss German wouldn't be subtitled on German TV or Scottish on English TV! As a native German I don't understand a word when Swiss Germans speak between each other. The only reason why I understand Austrians speaking between each other is because I had friends there for a while. My dad doesn't understand them as a native German speaker. And that's all supposed to be one language. Come to think of it, a lot of language learners understand more accents than the natives, because they make an effort to expose themselves to those accents. Does the average Texan understand a thick cockney accent? I very much doubt so. I understand Cockney AND Texan, probably precisely because I'm a non-native.

desitrader wrote:Having an accent and giving themselves away as non-natives = Not speaking like a native.

Well, that's a very strict way of defining things and you didn't make that at all clear in your original post. Accent reduction actually has limits and certain features of your native sound system are very hard to suppress. In my native German I tried for many years to get rid of my Saxony accent because I was living in West Germany. There the accent from Saxony is considered uneducated and provincial, and people simply don't take you seriously if you speak with that accent, especially in educated circles. No matter how hard I tried, my vowels always gave me away as at least coming from East Germany. I finally gave up with the achievement of sounding like someone from Berlin who is trying to speak high German. I use local expressions from the region where I lived in West Germany and don't give myself away with using East German vocabulary, but people will *always* know after just one sentence that I'm not from the West. Also, if you wonder why that is, I can refer you to a theory in Robotics that is called the "uncanny valley". If you make a robot too much like a human, he becomes creepy and the differences between the robot and a real human stand out even more. For more general acceptance it's therefore advisable to stay away from that area that is close to perfect but not quite. The closer you get to a proper TL accent the more obvious it will be to the native speakers that there is something wrong with the way you speak. They will actively try to catch a mistake or odd phrasing to figure out whether you are a native speaker or not and this will usually make them uncomfortable because they can't place you. Sure, you can impress people with it, but if you simply want to have a quick conversation without the endless "Where are you from? How come you speak like this, bla bla bla ..." speaking with a slight accent is actually preferable. Also, if you actually still make the occasional mistake in grammar, they will be much more obtrusive when you have a relatively convincing accent. With a slight accent people will tell you how well you speak, even if you make the occasional mistake. With a very convincing accent people will start to nitpick. Do you want to make people pay special attention to all your mistakes? I don't think so. Being able to produce a convincing accent is so overrated!

Now, here comes the fun part: I have friends from Luxembourg, non-native German speakers, who have such a convincing accent that it took me half an hour to figure out that they are non-natives. And yes, uncanny valley, I was really trying hard to catch them out. Their high German accent is more convincing than my own and I'm a native speaker! How they finally give themselves away is by very very infrequently using certain words that no German speaker would ever use. Such words tend to have fallen out of fashion in Germany about 100 years ago, but are still used in Luxembourgish. Other than that they speak *exactly* like natives, i.e. they use the same ungrammatical expressions of colloquial language, they use all the slang, they have no accent etc. In fact, they are as close as it gets to native speakers: They watched German TV when they were little, they tend to know more about German literature than the average native because their education system is much better, they get all the jokes that rely heavily on cultural knowledge, I share the exact kind of childhood memories of TV and music with them. And yet, strictly speaking they aren't native speakers, because they learned it as a foreign language in school, usually at the age of 6 and don't commonly speak German outside of school. There are statistics for Luxembourgish native speakers: 55% of the population of Luxembourg are native Luxembourgish speakers, only 2% are native German speakers. So, sorry, more than 200,000 people prove you wrong even with your way too narrow definition of having no accent at all!

And besides, if one ignores your unreasonable accent requirement, I know gazillions of foreign speakers who can run circles around native speakers in eloquence and grammar also in spoken language. They can also switch seamlessly between registers - educated, low-brow, slang - which very few natives ever master. Most natives are stuck with their origins, that's what "Educating Rita" is all about! So, there are actually many non-natives who have a better command of their target language than the natives. And that's much more important than having a convincing accent.
10 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

desitrader
Orange Belt
Languages: .
Native / bilingual: English, Bengali.
Fluent: Hindi.
Learning: German (B2), Italian (A2+), Japanese (A1-), Norwegian (A1-).

Postby desitrader » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 am

LesRonces wrote:Of course you were. You might as well have asserted that nobody can run the 100m in less than 10 seconds. In fact that's a pretty good analogy in itself as to the language situation. Most can't, some can.

The definition of 'proof' is clearly lost on you, so I won't argue any further.

LesRonces wrote:Did you completely ignore my references to people like Famke Janssen. 99% of people would never be able to tell she's non-native in English. 1% could detect peculiarities with her voice and suss her but that doesn't mean she can't speak like a native.

So she doesn't speak like a native.

LesRonces wrote:Speaking like a native isn't the same as sounding like a native.

Acording to you.

LesRonces wrote:Accent isn't a fair comparison

Acording to you.
1 x

desitrader
Orange Belt

Postby desitrader » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:42 am

So since everyone knows they will never ever have a flawless 100% native-like accent, suddenly the demand is that we drop accents from being a benchmark.

Very convenient.
1 x

desitrader
Orange Belt

Postby desitrader » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:45 am

blaurebell wrote:Please don't generalise from your own experience.

Your entire post is generalisation of your own experience. It's what humans do. Might as well get used to it.
1 x

desitrader
Orange Belt

Postby desitrader » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:07 am

LesRonces wrote:
You once again said nothing about listening, maybe because you realise you made a boo-boo by suggesting that it's 'impossible' for non-natives to have native-like listening ability.

I stand by what I said. It is impossible for non-native people to have native-like listening comprehension.

LesRonces wrote:...i will simply :lol: and move on to another thread.

Yes, absolutely. May I suggest the Atlas language thread?
1 x

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
Languages: PL (rusting Native)
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
日本語 (Beginner, not studying)
台語 (Dabbling)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1164

Postby Ezy Ryder » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:09 am

desitrader wrote:The definition of 'proof' is clearly lost on you, so I won't argue any further.

Could you try to refrain from insults? You can discuss epistemological matters in a civil way, you know ;)

desitrader wrote:
LesRonces wrote:Speaking like a native isn't the same as sounding like a native.

Acording to you.

The word "speak" can have multiple meanings, it doesn't necessarily have to require making sounds with your mouth (you could say you "speak a sign language"). You can use it to mean "to have a certain level of proficiency in a language".

desitrader wrote:So since everyone knows they will never ever have a flawless 100% native-like accent, suddenly the demand is that we drop accents from being a benchmark.

Very convenient.

I think it's still useful to discuss reaching a native/native-like level in other areas. I think deciding to drop the idea just because you can't "sound like a native" would be taking it detrimentally literally. And yes, dropping a possibly unattainable benchmark does make that more convenient.
1 x
阿波
: 1250 / 1000010k SRS Challenge :
: 3750 / 48084,808 漢字 (handwriting) :

desitrader
Orange Belt

Postby desitrader » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:09 am

aokoye wrote:So just focusing on this, what you're trying to say, desitraer, is that a. it's impossible for an L2 speaker to have the listening and speaking ability of an L1 speaker but it is possible for them to have the reading/writing ability and b. there's no way for anyone to prove otherwise? What evidence do you have that backs up those claims?

What I am trying to say aokoye, is that none of this is provable in scientific terms, and all we are doing is generalising what we have seen ourselves. So if I am talking nonsense here (as some allege), so is everyone else.
0 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:22 am

desitrader wrote:Your entire post is generalisation of your own experience. It's what humans do. Might as well get used to it.

desitrader wrote:Listening / speaking like a native: Impossible.

I don't need to generalise to prove you wrong: According to your statement it should be impossible for Luxembourgish people to speak exactly like native Germans without an accent. Yet, I have met several Luxembourgish people who speak exactly like native Germans without any accent and these language skills were considered normal among their peers. So, even if we accept your unreasonable requirement, you are simply wrong.

And personally I don't accept your requirement either. The question was how to learn a language to a native level, not how to rewire your brain to produce a convincing accent, something for which one doesn't even have to learn the language.

LesRonces wrote:Would i be right in thinking that you probably understand 100% every thing you hear in English on an equivalent scale to your comprehension in German ?

Generally yes, but I actually understand philosophy better *in English* rather than in German, because German philosophers have an odd tendency to be particularly bad writers. Also, I actually have to guess certain technical terms in German that I've only ever heard in English. I also won't necessarily understand all the German technical terms correctly in technical literature. I also understand more English accents than German accents, even though I understand more German accents than most people who never get out of their own region. By now it's also pretty noticeable that I've spent most of my adult life with English as my primary language: My German is actually worse than my English, especially when I'm supposed to be speaking coherently in an academic context.
6 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 pm

It was kind of hilarious when I watched Big Little Lies and Alexander Skarsgård's American accent was waaay more convincing than Nicole Kidman's.

:D
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:19 pm

desitrader wrote:
aokoye wrote:So just focusing on this, what you're trying to say, desitraer, is that a. it's impossible for an L2 speaker to have the listening and speaking ability of an L1 speaker but it is possible for them to have the reading/writing ability and b. there's no way for anyone to prove otherwise? What evidence do you have that backs up those claims?

What I am trying to say aokoye, is that none of this is provable in scientific terms, and all we are doing is generalising what we have seen ourselves. So if I am talking nonsense here (as some allege), so is everyone else.

Eh - you could probably easily find various linguistics articles that prove this sort of thing (given that it's 7:20am where I am I'm not actually willing to do that right now). If you don't think that's "scientific" because it is a social science then that's on you.
3 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “Multilingual Room”