Something to discuss in English

Practice your target languages here.
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Something to discuss in English

Postby smallwhite » Sat May 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Where is the OP? This thread has turned into English writing practice for native English speakers :?

Multilingual Room
Practice your target languages here.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Sat May 06, 2017 6:46 pm

smallwhite wrote:
Ольга wrote:I studied at a linguistic university where I had been taught German, French, Latin, Modern Greek and even Anglo-Saxon, but now these languages are long forgotten because I need to concentrate on English and master it. This year I am going to graduate from the linguistic university and work as a private teacher of English. ...
I don't know teaching methods or techniques that's why I have only one student whose level is about Intermediate (he is into business and works in an American company). I was not taught how to teach English, actually, because my Major is linguistics, not pedagogics, that's why I don't know how to become highly professional in teaching. So, I think teaching languages is not always a way out.

Why did you study linguistics instead of English and teaching, then?

What is a "private" teacher of English? Why do you want to work specifically as a "private" teacher?

With all those languages you have learnt, you must have had quite a few language teachers. What do you like and dislike about them?

You know, in Russia the Major of Pedagogics is highly unprestigious. Frankly speaking, here, in Russia, when a person doesn't know what university to enter and what kind of specialty to choose, he will obviously choose a Teaching Degree in something.
That's why I utterly did not want to do a Teaching Degree. Because, if I do, for instance, a Ph.D. in linguistics, I will be able to create dictionaries, to work on the creation of artificial intelligence, to create some programs for English learners, to work as lexicographer, etc. Of course, it is possible only after doing a Ph.D. (in Russia I should manage 2 more degrees for it, the Master's degree and the Docent's degree (I am not sure how it is called in English) and only after that I will have a full Ph.D. in linguistics with lots of opportunities).
Talking of private teaching: I choose this field on purpose because I will never be able to manage the whole groups of students. I can teach only one-to-one.
As for my teachers, they were mostly university professors, their teaching methods are quite different from private teaching. Of course, I had my favorite private teachers, but it is a long way ahead me to become "perfect" in teaching as well as in the language.
4 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat May 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Ольга wrote:...
the Docent's degree (I am not sure how it is called in English) ...

The anglophone world doesn't have them. It's the equivalent of the German Habilitation, more or less.

Edit: you do mean the доктор наук, right?
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sat May 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Systematiker, the Docent in Russia is the кандидат наук. First you have to become the кандидат наук and only then the доктор наук. But, of course, I can't know for sure what exactly Ольга meant :)

Usually the Docent = кандидат наук, the Professor = доктор наук.
Bachelor -> Master -> Docent -> Professor
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Sat May 06, 2017 11:50 pm

Aaleks,

Thanks - so if she's talking about the lower one, in most instances people will best understand one calling it a Ph.D., since it's the research-degree equivalent. I think I've seen "candidate of sciences" in English before but that's going to communicate a step lower than the actual achievement. The higher degree is the one we don't have in the anglophone world (well, tenure on publication, sort of), so we've got this neat disjunction with Russophones about who gets to be called "Doctor".

(I think my brain went docent-Privatdozent-Habilitation, which it shouldn't have, since we even use docent where I teach for instructors without a terminal degree but a full contract).
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun May 07, 2017 12:38 am

Ольга wrote:the Docent's degree (I am not sure how it is called in English)

A topic for you to research in English, then - great!
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Sun May 07, 2017 7:11 am

Yes, it's кандидат наук.
I reckon, there is no such a degree abroad.
The question is not "to do or not to do a Ph.D. in linguistics", but how to earn enough for livelihood till I haven't become a professor.
Besides, I am not sure if I need a Ph.D. I just asked what you do for livelihood and how you combine domestic chores with languages.
0 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Sun May 07, 2017 7:51 am

Ольга wrote:Yes, it's кандидат наук.

Communist Czechoslovakia and Poland (for a short period of time though) adapted this degree name as a part of Sovietization measures implemented by their governments:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidate ... ces#Poland
1 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Sun May 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Ольга wrote:Yes, it's кандидат наук.
The question is not "to do or not to do a Ph.D. in linguistics", but how to earn enough for livelihood till I haven't become a professor.
Besides, I am not sure if I need a Ph.D. I just asked what you do for livelihood and how you combine domestic chores with languages.

Yes, I'm sorry I hijacked your thread a bit - this disjunction has always interested me. Anyway, I'm saying that in English, speaking to most people, you should most likely refer to this degree as a Ph.D., since it's a first research degree and the academic equivalent.

I did teach English for a while when I was a doctoral candidate, if that's relevant, and it sucked immensely (saturated market, programmatic schools). I got where I did advanced learners only, but it was rough. Doing it successfully meant a lot of legwork, when you're on your own you're basically a small business. I got through it because it was a stepping stone to a career goal, and I think maybe that's what you're lacking - not so much "what can I do for a few years to get to X", but "what in the world can I do, period, that's not going to kill my plan for life".
2 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Fri May 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Systematiker wrote:
Ольга wrote:I did teach English for a while when I was a doctoral candidate, if that's relevant, and it sucked immensely (saturated market, programmatic schools). I got where I did advanced learners only, but it was rough. Doing it successfully meant a lot of legwork, when you're on your own you're basically a small business. I got through it because it was a stepping stone to a career goal, and I think maybe that's what you're lacking - not so much "what can I do for a few years to get to X", but "what in the world can I do, period, that's not going to kill my plan for life".

Were you teaching ESL, or English/language arts?

In the U.S., the default degree is psychology or communications; a teaching degree would actually be useful here (if you want to teach mass amounts of students, that is). ;)

I'm finishing my degree so I can work in a hospital laboratory, because I know that linguistics, ancient history and degrees about other cultures are not marketable degrees. I'm getting a job that I can tolerate (maybe even enjoy), and I'll save my work-free time studying languages and drawing comics.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Return to “Multilingual Room”