Something to discuss in English

Practice your target languages here.
Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Something to discuss in English

Postby Systematiker » Sat May 13, 2017 12:22 am

Xenops wrote:
Systematiker wrote:
Ольга wrote:I did teach English for a while when I was a doctoral candidate, if that's relevant, and it sucked immensely (saturated market, programmatic schools). I got where I did advanced learners only, but it was rough. Doing it successfully meant a lot of legwork, when you're on your own you're basically a small business. I got through it because it was a stepping stone to a career goal, and I think maybe that's what you're lacking - not so much "what can I do for a few years to get to X", but "what in the world can I do, period, that's not going to kill my plan for life".

Were you teaching ESL, or English/language arts?

In the U.S., the default degree is psychology or communications; a teaching degree would actually be useful here (if you want to teach mass amounts of students, that is). ;)

I'm finishing my degree so I can work in a hospital laboratory, because I know that linguistics, ancient history and degrees about other cultures are not marketable degrees. I'm getting a job that I can tolerate (maybe even enjoy), and I'll save my work-free time studying languages and drawing comics.

ESL. (I get to cross-teach with the literature folks now, though, it is waaay more fun)

Teaching K-12 can be a hard racket to break into in the US, because states certify as well (more tests! less transfer!), and some areas have a lot of applicants (and a lot of churn), but it's not half bad once you're in, to hear my friends tell it.
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”