Nordic Book Club : Odinsbarn

Practice your target languages here.
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Nordic Book Club : Odinsbarn

Postby Elenia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:01 pm

I really quite liked Hirka's time in the teahouse, even if it was all a bit too descriptive for me. But it was just the calm before the storm. I'll admit, I read a bit farther than I should... Surely I'm not the only one? I couldn't leave Hirka hanging like that (although I still don't know what happens to her)! I'll spoil you just a little bit: Urd is already in deep shit. Possibly even too late for damage control!

Same amount of chapters this week?
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:01 pm

Elenia wrote: I'll admit, I read a bit farther than I should... Surely I'm not the only one?

Nope, you're not the only one. I'm in the middle of the third book. I'm not going to say anything because I don't want to spoil it, but this series has a lot of surprises.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:28 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Elenia wrote: I'll admit, I read a bit farther than I should... Surely I'm not the only one?

Nope, you're not the only one. I'm in the middle of the third book. I'm not going to say anything because I don't want to spoil it, but this series has a lot of surprises.

I'm so excited! I may have also read a lot more pages than I ought...
0 x

steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Postby steyyan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:43 am

I also find the term embling interesting. I suppose it's a reference to the "Adam and Eve" of Norse Mythology. Ask og Embla (Wikipedia)
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:11 am

steyyan wrote:I also find the term embling interesting. I suppose it's a reference to the "Adam and Eve" of Norse Mythology. Ask og Embla (Wikipedia)

Thanks for the link, it's super interesting! I didn't know about these two figures :)
0 x

steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Postby steyyan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:21 am

I suggest we read up to and including Tyrinn this week. It'll be about the same load as last week (~920 'locations' on my e-reader, roughly 50 pages).
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:58 am

steyyan wrote:I suggest we read up to and including Tyrinn this week. It'll be about the same load as last week (~920 'locations' on my e-reader, roughly 50 pages).

I completely agree! I meant to suggest doing that last night but I didn't because... er... I was too busy reading :lol: I have already read all the way to Tyrinn and then a few chapters past :oops: I won't read any more this week though!

(In case you didn't realise already - it's really gripping! I won't say anything but my heart was in my throat pretty much the entire time!)
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 am

steyyan wrote:I also find the term embling interesting. I suppose it's a reference to the "Adam and Eve" of Norse Mythology. Ask og Embla (Wikipedia)

That was my conclusion too. Mennskr, odinsbarn and embling all seem to mean human.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:07 am

Elenia wrote:
steyyan wrote:I suggest we read up to and including Tyrinn this week. It'll be about the same load as last week (~920 'locations' on my e-reader, roughly 50 pages).

I completely agree! I meant to suggest doing that last night but I didn't because... er... I was too busy reading :lol: I have already read all the way to Tyrinn and then a few chapters past :oops: I won't read any more this week though!

(In case you didn't realise already - it's really gripping! I won't say anything but my heart was in my throat pretty much the entire time!)

Just wait til you get to the second book. That was really exciting.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:37 am

Brun Ugle wrote:
Elenia wrote:

Just wait til you get to the second book. That was really exciting.

I can't wait! I might have to go into town today and see if the bookshop has the second book! (They had the first and the third last time I was there)
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”