Nordic Book Club : Odinsbarn

Practice your target languages here.
steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Re: Nordic Book Club : Odinsbarn

Postby steyyan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:18 pm

- The Seer was not present at the Council meeting... how come? Does He not approve of "what should we do with this Odin's child" sort of meetings?

- Who was the doll maker? I don't think it would be Urd, since it would have raised suspicion if he was loitering about in the dungeons, wouldn't it?

- Does Urd expect her to know something? I hardly believe he saved her from the "experiments" simply out of compassion for her.

For the next week, I'd suggest we read up to and including Ravnehuset. That would be a few pages shorter than this week, but the next chapter (På et knivsegg) is quite long.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:00 am

I feel like something very suspicious is going on with the Seer, most likely even to do with the secret that they told Urd when he first became a member of the council... who knows? (Don't tell us, those of you who do know!)

I figure Urd saved Hirka because he had to, not because he wanted to. He has to protect her, after all. I'm looking forward to this week's chapters! Out of interest, who else is still reading, and where are you?
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:19 pm

After falling behind the last weeks, I caught up again and even read häntä (tail) today. It's monday and I have only 10 pages left for this week's goal. Oops...
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:38 pm

tiia wrote:After falling behind the last weeks, I caught up again and even read häntä (tail) today. It's monday and I have only 10 pages left for this week's goal. Oops...

I know the feeling. I wasn't allowed to read any last week because I had already gone beyond the goal on sunday :lol: it just sucks you in when you're not expecting it!
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:42 am

Not allowed?! Oops. :oops: I finished the whole series. In my defense, you did say we were to read fifty chapters a week. I don't know how you can stop yourselves. It got too exciting for me. So many plot-twists!
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:16 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Not allowed?! Oops. :oops: I finished the whole series. In my defense, you did say we were to read fifty chapters a week. I don't know how you can stop yourselves. It got too exciting for me. So many plot-twists!

I was exclaiming in sheer adoration when reading the pages last night. I do want to swallow down fifty chapters a week, I do, I do!

Who is still reading at the prescribed weekly pace? I know only that tiia and Steyyan are all caught up. Are you both still happy with the amount or would you, like the extremely intrigued me, like to go a bit further? If the former, I suggest reading up to and including chapter 64, 'Utenfor frelse'/'Pelastuksen tavoittamattomissa'/'Bortom frälsning'. Otherwise, I recommend reading to the next chapter, 'Blod'/'Yeri', which is quite a long one. Tell me your thoughts!
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:24 am

Since I could stop myself from reading, I'm one chapter ahead of this weeks goal, which is why both options are ok for me.
When taking a look at the amount of pages left, we'll need three weeks to finish the book anyway. If we want to distribute those pages evenly, than we shouldn't include Blod/Veri this week, but otherwise we'll just have less reading for the last week.

Btw. my counter says that we used to set goals around 50 pages, while the option without the Blod/Veri -chapter is already 59 pages. If we include it, it's 76 pages.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:53 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I am still reading, although catching up with the group is probably hopeless at this point. BUT... hope springs eternal. I am on summer holiday for the next three weeks :)
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:30 pm

tiia - in my version, fifty pages took me just to the start of 'Blod'/'Veri', which seems to be roughly the same in the Norwegian according to the page numbers posted by Montmorency. Steyyan - is this so? Also, the only reason I want to hold out before finishing the book is because I want to be able to get hold of the second book and I am currently too poor to buy it :lol:

Elsa Maria - simply out of interest, where in the book are you and how are you finding it?
0 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Elenia, I am on page 149. That is the chapter called "En Plan" in Danish.
I love the book! I sometimes find wikis helpful with fantasy novels, even in my own language.

Here is the only one I found:
http://the-ravenrings.wikia.com/wiki/Odinsbarn
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Return to “Multilingual Room”