German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Practice your target languages here.
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Postby Elenia » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:12 pm

I would rather not read the sequels - after reading about them, I think I would like to just read Tintenherz as a standalone novel. I have quite a few books in German on my shelves, but they are all young adult or children's books, so I understand if the group wants a genre change :)
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:58 pm

It took me a year longer than planned with several breaks and format changes but today I finally completed Tintenherz.

I'm curious to hear what you thought about the book, even though it was a long time ago you finished it. I loved the idea and first scene but the plot progressed painfully slow and at times it felt like they escaped just to end up in an identical situation fifty pages later. Overall a repetitive book with characters I didn't care much about. It's possible that the extra 12 months it took me to complete the book affected my experience. I read that Tintenblut goes deeper into the book world but I still feel like I have no idea what their world is like.

It wasn't bad though and I'm wondering if anyone continued with the rest of the trilogy?

I also took the time to watch the movie (Inkheart). The actor behind Dustfinger did a good job but somewhat ironic I felt like the movie was rushed and they produced a six hour long version before decided to cut everything but a handful of big scenes. They spent exactly five minutes at Ellinors house in the movie, a part which the book gave nine chapters and change. They also remade the ending to tie up all loose ends.
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:37 pm

Well done! I still haven't finished it, shamefully. I got a good way through, but put it down in favour of other books and now it is in the wrong country. One of the other books I put it down for is actually by the same author - Steinernes Fleisch. I had been reading it in the 2016 English rerelease, but got the original German edition as a present. The rereleased version is, as far as I got, definitely an improvement.

I liked the characters but like you became somewhat fed up by the cat and mouse game that is played. I know the capture-release-capture thing only happens twice, but it seems so avoidable.
1 x

Egwene
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (B2), German (B1), French (A2), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2955

Postby Egwene » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 am

I have read the second book as well a few months ago and I still want to read the third and last book of this series. I liked it. Sadly I do not have a lot of time to read at the moment and I am reading a different German book (Die Schwestern des Lichts, written by Terry Goodkind), but it is on my list for when I am back home.
2 x
Corrections are always very welcome.

Return to “Multilingual Room”