German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Practice your target languages here.
Egwene
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (B2), German (B1), French (A2), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2955

Re: German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Postby Egwene » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:28 am

I finished the second chapter! It is very difficult to not use spoilers here, because it would be nice to discuss things. Especially about the end of this chapter. What will happen? (I'm really trying not to say anything.... but why was he already standing at the gate? I hope that was vague enough)

And, I agree with this quote:
Wenn du ein Buch auf eine Reise mitnimmst, dann geschieht etwas Seltsames: Das Buch wird anfangen, deine Erinnerungen zu sammeln. Du wirst später nur aufschlagen müssen und schon wirst du wieder dort sein, wo du zuerst darin gelesen hast.
0 x
Corrections are always very welcome.

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Postby Via Diva » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:13 pm

2. Kapitel - gelesen

I wanted to review the chapters in the week after we've read it but I guess I will just review the book itself.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:57 pm

I think it's fine to discuss the chapters we've officially finished, but I don't think we should discuss anything before that. So, we could discuss chapter one, but chapter two has to wait until Monday when everyone should be finished.

I'm finding the story very exciting and I think it's the perfect choice for a first novel in German. The story drew me in already from the first page, so even though my reading speed is extremely slow, I'm compelled to keep going.

I was kind of wondering about what time period it's supposed to be set in. At first I thought it was set a fairly long time ago because of them reading by candlelight, but then it mentioned a pile of books on the television, so I guess it's a fairly modern setting. So, sometime between the invention of television and the ubiquity of flatscreens. I started to look it up, but I realized I couldn't easily find out without encountering a mountain of spoilers.
0 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Elenia wrote:
Of course you don't need permission to join. I am firmly in favour of more readers to join our adventure (and I could hardly prevent someone from posting if they wanted to :!: )

Chapters vary, but the first four are much shorter than your figures at about 9-12 pages each. So it should be fine! As to the difficulty of the book - you are able to write that paragraph, which is more than I can do. So I think you're starting in a pretty good place :)

Danke! I wanted to ask as it would seem rude to just jump in without asking first.
That's great to hear about the relatively short length of the chapters, it definitely looks doable in regards to catching you all up :) And don't forget, writing a paragraph and writing a paragraph riddled with mistakes is an entirely different matter!
0 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 pm

I have just finished Chapter 2 and am desperate to get onto Chapter 3 already!
0 x

sjintje
Orange Belt
Languages: Native English
Functional but fading French
Intermediate but erratic German
Reads Dutch headlines
Dabbling in Spanish and Japanese

Postby sjintje » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:00 pm

I probably wasn't paying attention somewhere along the line, but is it a week per chapter? If so can we say discussions are permitted over the weekend? If any stragglers haven't finished the chapter by then, they will obviously be too busy doing their homework to be reading ALF.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:40 pm

sjintje wrote:I probably wasn't paying attention somewhere along the line, but is it a week per chapter? If so can we say discussions are permitted over the weekend? If any stragglers haven't finished the chapter by then, they will obviously be too busy doing their homework to be reading ALF.

Yes, sorry! It's a chapter a week. I entirely forgot to put that in the first post, so I will do so immediately. I also think that's fair enough - we can make Saturday and Sunday spoiler days. It might be a bit difficult to navigate around time zones, but not impossible, I'm sure. Does anyone have any objections?
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Elenia wrote:
sjintje wrote:I probably wasn't paying attention somewhere along the line, but is it a week per chapter? If so can we say discussions are permitted over the weekend? If any stragglers haven't finished the chapter by then, they will obviously be too busy doing their homework to be reading ALF.

Yes, sorry! It's a chapter a week. I entirely forgot to put that in the first post, so I will do so immediately. I also think that's fair enough - we can make Saturday and Sunday spoiler days. It might be a bit difficult to navigate around time zones, but not impossible, I'm sure. Does anyone have any objections?

Actually, I was going to suggest being allowed to discuss the chapter on Sunday anyway, but Saturday is fine by me too. If I'm not done by then, I'll just ignore the thread until I finish. It seems kind of pointless to have to wait until the next week to discuss the chapter because then we're all too busy reading the next chapter.

I finished this week's chapter and I found it very exciting, but I'll keep my mouth shut until tomorrow.
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:25 pm

I've read chapter 2. Am I up-to-date? When can I start chapter 3? The chapters seem rather short, btw (compared to Como agua para chocolate, my only other reference).
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:49 pm

Expugnator wrote:I've read chapter 2. Am I up-to-date? When can I start chapter 3? The chapters seem rather short, btw (compared to Como agua para chocolate, my only other reference).

We've been going from Monday to Sunday, so the next chapter starts on Monday. I don't think there are any rules against reading ahead as long as you don't spoil anything for the rest of us.
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”