German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Practice your target languages here.
amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Re: German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-a-long

Postby amyhere » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:52 pm

I wasn't going to, and then I wasn't going to... but now I'd like to join. I have the book with me and I'll try to read the first chapter today. :D
3 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:59 pm

Egwene wrote:Normally I only read the logs and that motives motivates me a lot. I did not write hadn't written anything on this forum yet (maybe one time?), but when I saw that you started to read this book, I couldn't remain silent. So, I am reading along with you and I finished the first chapter. I also use the audiobook. As a native Dutch speaker, I can understand German quite well. I did learn some new interesting words, like das Schaukelpferd and der Maulwurf. I look forward to the second chapter.

I'm very happy that you decided to join in :D I am reading only semi-attentively right now, so I don't remember those words :oops: Thanks for posting a German translation, too! I could understand quite a bit of it!

I think one of my favourite things from that last chapter was 'Die Ahnung in Meggies Herzen wuchs und spreizte schwarze Flügel.' It's a really powerful, evocative image :)
1 x

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Postby Via Diva » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Read the first chapter.

Troubles:
- hard to begin
- quite a bit of unknown words which I have to look up if I want to keep reading on
- even harder to stop

I might cheat and read the book in Russian, but I won't yet :3
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Welcome, newcomers!

I am now in the middle of the chapter. There are plenty words that I don't know and need to look up. I should know quite a lot of them as I remember learning them before. And quite a lot of the words are past tenses of verbs I know or don't know.

This is awesome, I think book reading will help me with some of my recurring obstacles, such as the past tenses and adjective declination.

And I really like the beginning of the story.
1 x

Egwene
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (B2), German (B1), French (A2), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2955

Postby Egwene » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:22 pm

Thanks for the corrections, Elenia! Looking back I really don't know why I wrote 'motivates' wrong.. The second mistake is something I make too often. Maybe I should focus on my English grammar again for a while. It was a language I really hated at school (because of the teachers).

I liked that sentence too! It is indeed a very powerful image. This one is nice too:

"Doch schließlich war er fort und nur der Regen trommelte immer noch mit nassen Fingern gegen Meggies Fenster."

--
Danke für die Verbesserungen, Elenia! Zurückblickend weiß ich echt nicht warum ich 'motivates' falsch geschrieben habe. Der zweite Fehler mache ich zu oft. Vielleicht sollte ich mich wieder eine Zeit lang auf mein englisches Grammatik konzentrieren. Es war eine Sprache, die ich in der Schule wirklich hasste (wegen der Lehrer).

Mir gefiel der Satz auch. Es ist in der Tat ein kräftiges Bild. Dieser ist auch schön:

"Doch schließlich war er fort und nur der Regen trommelte immer noch mit nassen Fingern gegen Meggies Fenster."
1 x
Corrections are always very welcome.

sjintje
Orange Belt
Languages: Native English
Functional but fading French
Intermediate but erratic German
Reads Dutch headlines
Dabbling in Spanish and Japanese

Postby sjintje » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Ich habe das Hörbuch in der Bibliothek gefunden und ausgeliehen, aber das (geschriebene) Buch leider nicht. Der Titel "Tintenherz" klingt irgendwie viel poetischer auf Deutsch als die englische Übersetzung. Ich bin überrascht, dass das Buch mir gefällt. Normalerweise finde ich Jugendbücher ziemlich doof.

Egwene wrote: I did learn some new interesting words, like das Schaukelpferd and der Maulwurf. I look forward to the second chapter.

Ich habe mit Hörbüchern immer das Problem, dass ich denke, ich habe alles verstanden, aber dann wann ich den Text lesen, finde ich heraus, dass mein Gehirn einfach ignoriert hatte, alles was es nicht erkennt.

Surely if we are reading a German novel, there is no need for translations? Let me know otherwise, and I will add it. We haven't really discussed what to do about corrections, so just for a change, I think I'll say, please PM me corrections, and I shall credit you. Ta.
0 x

steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Postby steyyan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:53 pm

Ich habe dass auch beim Hören von den HP-Hörbuchern (mit von Manteuffel als Vorleser) bemerkt. Dass Wort Morast (~Sumpf) habe ich immer überhört, aber gestern hatte ich mir die Mühe gegeben, es nachzuschlagen.

Tintenherz ist ein schönes Buch, und ich würde es auch zusammen mit euch lesen, wenn ich es nicht schon als Hörbuch vor einige Monaten durchgehört hätte...
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:06 am

sjintje wrote:Surely if we are reading a German novel, there is no need for translations? Let me know otherwise, and I will add it. We haven't really discussed what to do about corrections, so just for a change, I think I'll say, please PM me corrections, and I shall credit you. Ta.

Well, you are entirely right about this. I was thinking mostly for ease of those like me, who can just about read German with google translate acting more like a wheelchair than a crutch, but also of any non-German speaker reading along for the sheer thrill(?) of it. But really, it isn't necessary to provide a translation either. I can always fire up readlang if ever I am struggling to understand a post :)

As for corrections, I think private messages is the best way to deal with it for this thread :)
0 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:37 pm

I have a parallel text of this book (and the other two books of the series), if anyone's interested in it. I L-R'd it years ago and it's a great book, the audiobook is really great, too, if you can get your hands on it.
1 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:54 pm

I just finished reading the first chapter and it's definitely an intriguing start.

I'm quite happy because this book has been sat on my bookshelf for several months now. Last time I looked at it, it felt far too difficult. Now I am actually able to read it extensively, although at a slower pace than I would in English. I find now there are a lot of words in German that I can figure out the meaning, but I need to linger over them slightly longer to allow my brain to make the connections.

By the way, if we wish to talk about the content of the story itself, is there any particular etiquette we should follow around spoilers?
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”