German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Practice your target languages here.
Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Re: German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-a-long

Postby Anya » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:58 pm

I am reading along with you!

Ich lese mit!
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:37 pm

I don't really mind spoilers (I've already read the entire plot on wikipedia :roll: ) but I imagine starting the post with a large heading saying SPOILERS would probably do.

@crush - thank you for the offer! Is there anyone who needs a parallel text? I have an English translation already :)

@gsbod - I've experienced a similar jump in comprehension, but that probably has something to do with the amount of times I've read this over.

@Anya - welcome aboard!

EDIT: That large heading was larger than expected...
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:49 pm

So, i've started. Slowly, not part of my usual schedule, only making use of some hidden moments mostly at the weekends.

I'll be reading with the audiobook and the Portuguese translation. The audiobook reads quite fast, but I actually find Tintenherz easier than the translation to "Como agua para chocolate" which I'm reading in German/Spanish. Probably the fact it's a more fast-going story with action and dialogues, probably having the Portuguese translation makes allows me to flick back and fro faster, probably it's the audiobook that tells me where each syntagma ends, but that's my impression for the moment.

Oh, I DO despise spoilers ;)
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:39 pm

I guess at least a heading of that size could be considered fair warning!

I have just acquired the audiobook version read by Rainer Strecker through audible.de and listened to the first chapter. It's rather nice to listen to (but then I find German rather nice in general anyway). I think I might carry on reading a chapter, then listening to it. I just need to make sure I read it first, so I don't get lazy about the details.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Re: German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:39 am

How are we all doing? Has anyone started chapter two yet? It's a few pages shorter than chapter one, so reading should take less time. If you're behind, that's fine, there's time enough to catch up. If there is anyone reading this who wants to join in but feels like the time to jump on the wagon has passed - no such thing! Better now than later, and better later than never.

I'm looking forward to reading all of your thoughts and feelings about chapter two :D
0 x

Egwene
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (B2), German (B1), French (A2), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2955

Postby Egwene » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm around halfway of chapter two now. I hope to finish it tomorrow. I'm very curious how the story will continue.
0 x
Corrections are always very welcome.

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:53 pm

Elenia wrote:How are we all doing? Has anyone started chapter two yet? It's a few pages shorter than chapter one, so reading should take less time. If you're behind, that's fine, there's time enough to catch up. If there is anyone reading this who wants to join in but feels like the time to jump on the wagon has passed - no such thing! Better now than later, and better later than never.

I'm looking forward to reading all of your thoughts and feelings about chapter two :D

I'm still hoping to you join you all, I just have to wait a while to get mine. (I'm getting the trilogy for the kindle)
How long, on average, is a chapter? I have not seen a physical copy so can't really determine how long one would be, are we talking roughly 20-30 pages per chapter? I only ask as I am attempting to gauge how quickly I'll have to read to catch you guys up, if indeed I can and I'm permitted to join :)

Ich möchte sehr gern mit euech das Buch lesen. Ich kaufe die ganze Trilogie auf Kindle weil ich das Wortbuch brauche. Ich weiß nicht wie schwierig das Buch ist, aber ich lese nicht so viel. Und ja, mein Deutsch ist noch nicht so gut, besonders lesen.
Wie lange sind die Kapitel? Ich habe das buch nicht gesehen, so weiß ich nicht wie viele Seite das Buch hast. Ich frage nur weil ich nicht wie lange es werde mich abholen weiß. Übersetzung ist ganz schwierig...haha. Na, habe ich ein andere ding üben, das ist ganz gut.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:30 pm

WalkingAlone13 wrote:I'm still hoping to you join you all, I just have to wait a while to get mine. (I'm getting the trilogy for the kindle)
How long, on average, is a chapter? I have not seen a physical copy so can't really determine how long one would be, are we talking roughly 20-30 pages per chapter? I only ask as I am attempting to gauge how quickly I'll have to read to catch you guys up, if indeed I can and I'm permitted to join :)

Ich möchte sehr gern mit euech das Buch lesen. Ich kaufe die ganze Trilogie auf Kindle weil ich das Wortbuch brauche. Ich weiß nicht wie schwierig das Buch ist, aber ich lese nicht so viel. Und ja, mein Deutsch ist noch nicht so gut, besonders lesen.
Wie lange sind die Kapitel? Ich habe das buch nicht gesehen, so weiß ich nicht wie viele Seite das Buch hast. Ich frage nur weil ich nicht wie lange es werde mich abholen weiß. Übersetzung ist ganz schwierig...haha. Na, habe ich ein andere ding üben, das ist ganz gut.

Of course you don't need permission to join. I am firmly in favour of more readers to join our adventure (and I could hardly prevent someone from posting if they wanted to :!: )

Chapters vary, but the first four are much shorter than your figures at about 9-12 pages each. So it should be fine! As to the difficulty of the book - you are able to write that paragraph, which is more than I can do. So I think you're starting in a pretty good place :)
0 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:40 pm

Expugnator wrote:Oh, I DO despise spoilers ;)
Maybe a few up-votes for this? Spoilers Extension
It seems useful for a book club thread, or for discussing any kind of media, series, film, etc. that deserves not to be spoiled.

Not that I can read a word of German, but now I'm curious about the book!
3 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:47 pm

tangleweeds wrote:Maybe a few up-votes for this? Spoilers Extension
It seems useful for a book club thread, or for discussing any kind of media, series, film, etc. that deserves not to be spoiled.

Not that I can read a word of German, but now I'm curious about the book!

I'm so tempted to invite you to read along in another language, but maybe that goes too far :roll: :lol:
1 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”