(EN) Please Help me with English

Practice your target languages here.
Casvill
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English(B1)

(EN) Please Help me with English

Postby Casvill » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:25 pm

Hello everyone!

I want to improve my English writing, so I have decided to write everyday if it is possible. So I really would love if you could correct me, even if the correction is to sound more natural. I can do the same with your Spanish writing ;)

Also, I want to practice my speaking, so if somebody wanna practice his/her Spanish speaking, just write me and maybe we could book some speaking dates :D :D

I think I will be posting here about my days, thinkings, the books I'm reading or movies I watch. But also if you wanna start a conversation about something I write, that would be awesome for me.

That's all for now, thank's for reading!
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: (EN) Please Help me with English

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:51 pm

Casvill wrote:Hello everyone!

I want to improve my English writing, so I have decided to write everyday if it is possible. So I really would love if you could correct me, even if the correction is to sound more natural. I can do the same with your Spanish writing ;)

Also, I want to practice my speaking, so if somebody wanna [wants to/would like to] practice his/her Spanish speaking, just write [to] me and maybe we could book some speaking dates :D :D

I think I will be posting here about my days, thinkings [thoughts], the books I'm reading or movies I watch. But also if you wanna [want to/would like to] start a conversation about something I write, that would be awesome for me.

That's all for now, thank's [thanks] for reading!
1 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:05 pm

You're [edit:Your :oops: :lol: ] English writing is good, in fact I don't know if I would have known you're not native if you didn't say so!

"write everyday": It should be "every day". "Everyday" as one word is an adjective, as in an "everyday occurrence". But this is a common spelling error that native speakers make all the time.

"Wanna" is most commonly short for "want to", not "wants to", so "anyone who wanna" sounds unnatural to me, at least for standard English. However, I believe it could be used in this context in African American Vernacular English where you don't have a separate 3rd person singular form and "anyone who want to" -> "anyone who wanna" would work. But as an intermediate to advanced speaker I would not advise that you write in a particular dialect unless you have a lot of experience with it.
5 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Casvill
English(B1)

Postby Casvill » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:09 pm

Thanks! DaveAgain.
Thank you, Deinonysus. Actually, when I wrote it, I don't realize that "anyone" is a third person word. And thank you for your advice!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writing practice #2:

Yesterday at Night, I was reading "Crimen y Castigo" by Fiodor Dostoievsky. This book really catch me, is very interesting. I bought it last week in a book fair, but I started to read it two days ago. Also, in the afternoon, I was reading "Ultralearning" by Scott Young, I'm reading this book mainly to practice my English reading skill but that book is very interesting too! I learned how to remember things more easily and methods to learn easily and faster.
Today I have been watching some English Youtube videos about book references, mainly to practice my listenning. My friend Julián comes to my house between the eleven and twelve and was talking about old times.
I wanted to go to swim today to the river, but is rainning! :T So I'm going to watch a movie and then to study again. I'm searching for a Language partner, because I have nobody to practice my speaking, so it is my worst English skill, but also, I'm not sure how is my English pronunciation. So if someone is looking for a Language partner, I'm able! Or if you know where I could find one, I will be very greatful with you!

That's all for today, thank you very much for reading! :D
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:45 pm

Casvill wrote:Thanks! DaveAgain.
Thank you, Deinonysus. Actually, when I wrote it, I don't realize that "anyone" is a third person word. And thank you for your advice!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writing practice #2:

Yesterday at [Last] Night, I was reading "Crimen y Castigo" by Fiodor Dostoievsky. This book really catch [grips] me, [it] is very interesting. I bought it last week in a book fair, but I started to read it two days ago. Also,in [during] the afternoon, I was reading "Ultralearning" by Scott Young, I'm reading this book mainly to practice my English reading skill [possibly delete skill] but that book is very interesting too! I learned how to remember things more easily and methods to learn easily [easier?] and faster.
Today I have been watching some English Youtube [book review] videos about book references, mainly to practice my listenning. My friend Julián comes to my house between the eleven and twelve and was talking about old times.
I wanted to go to swim [swimming] today to [in? near?] the river, but is rainning! :T So I'm going to watch a movie and then to study again. I'm searching for a Language partner, because I have nobody to practice my speaking [with], so it is my worst English skill, but also, I'm not sure how is my English pronunciation [is]. So if someone is looking for a Language partner, I'm able [available]! Or if you know where I could find one, I will be very greatful with you!

That's all for today, thank you very much for reading! :D

For language exchanges you could try the websites mentioned by Mr Dearman.
rdearman wrote:Language exchanges. Talk, talk, talk. I know almost zero Korean, but one of the first things I did was start looking for language exchange partners. I've spoken to a lot of people in French and Italian, and it has always helped me. So I have been speaking to a lady in Korea, even before I started my lessons. She has helped me with the numbers, and she explained some of the things the teacher taught me in a slightly different way which sort of made it "click" in my head. So different people, different perspectives.

https://www.conversationexchange.com/
https://www.language-exchanges.org/content/welcome

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... om#p199459
1 x

Casvill
English(B1)

Postby Casvill » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:18 am

DaveAgain wrote:
Casvill wrote:Writing practice #2:

[...] I learned how to remember things more easily and methods to learn easily [easier?] [...]

Yes, easier, thank you.
Casvill wrote:[...] I wanted to go to swim [swimming] today to [in? near?] the river [...]

It is In the river! :D

DaveAgain wrote:For language exchanges you could try the websites mentioned by Mr Dearman.
rdearman wrote:Language exchanges. Talk, talk, talk. I know almost zero Korean, but one of the first things I did was start looking for language exchange partners. I've spoken to a lot of people in French and Italian, and it has always helped me. So I have been speaking to a lady in Korea, even before I started my lessons. She has helped me with the numbers, and she explained some of the things the teacher taught me in a slightly different way which sort of made it "click" in my head. So different people, different perspectives.

https://www.conversationexchange.com/
https://www.language-exchanges.org/content/welcome

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... om#p199459

Thank you for all your corrections again, DaveAgain :lol:
And special thanks for your recomendations, someone writes me in https://www.language-exchanges.org/content/welcome to speaking! :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writing practice #3:

Today in afternoon, I went swimming in the river and met 2 guys that was trying to climb the montain besides the river. I tried too. I use to do it very often. They invited me to a climbing club. That made me feel really happy! That's an amazing thing to me!
Then started to rain so I came home.

I have been thinking about how learning foreign Languages affects our brain, but also how change our thoughts and behaviors.
I think, of course, to see a real big change it must includes to use that foreign Language to meet cultures where it is used.
So, having it in mind, maybe we turned less selfish, more comprehensive, and perhaps more curious due to all the new information avaible. I don't know if that wave of new avaible knowledge could be something bad to somepeople but, it tend to be a happy trigger (in Spanish "disparador de felicidad"), at least to me.
What do you thing?

Thanks for reading! :D
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Casvill wrote:...Writing practice #3:
original: Writing practice #3:

Today in afternoon, I went swimming in the river and met 2 guys that was trying to climb the montain besides the river. I tried too. I use to do it very often. They invited me to a climbing club. That made me feel really happy! That's an amazing thing to me!
Then started to rain so I came home.

I have been thinking about how learning foreign Languages affects our brain, but also how change our thoughts and behaviors.
I think, of course, to see a real big change it must includes to use that foreign Language to meet cultures where it is used.
So, having it in mind, maybe we turned less selfish, more comprehensive, and perhaps more curious due to all the new information avaible. I don't know if that wave of new avaible knowledge could be something bad to somepeople but, it tend to be a happy trigger (in Spanish "disparador de felicidad"), at least to me.
What do you thing?

Today in the afternoon, I went swimming in the river.and I met 2 two guys that was who were trying to climb the mountain beside the river. I tried too. I used to do it very that quite often. They invited me to join a climbing club. That made me feel really happy! That's an amazing thing to me!

Then it started to rain, so I came home.

I have been thinking about how learning foreign Languages affects our brain, but also how it changes our thoughts and behaviors.
I think, of course, to see a really big change it must includes to use using that foreign Llanguage to meet learn about cultures where it is used spoken.
So, having it this in mind, maybe we turned can become less selfish, more comprehensive, and perhaps more curious due to all the new information available. I don't know if that wave of new available knowledge could be something bad to some people but, it tends to be a happyiness trigger (in Spanish "disparador de felicidad"), at least to me.
What do you thing think?

Caveat: Correcting text is not an easy task. It is often time consuming, due to formatting issues with the forum software. Also, at higher levels of language, words can be correct but just sound a bit "off". Which is, how I sound in my languages to native-speakers, I'm sure. My choices of correction may not be the same as others.

"Very often" is not incorrect, but to my ears, it would just sound better to say "quite often" in this context. This isn't a big deal. The idiom "disparador de felicidad" is not one I've seen or heard in Spanish. I translated it as a "happiness trigger" but I think that phrasing it differently- "something that makes me happy" or change the phrase to "something that brings happiness" would sound better in English.

Writing out the numbers in English is more typical for numbers ten and below rather than using the actual numeric symbol.

You spelled "available" wrong twice. It happens. I recommend you use an English spell checker in your browser to help you with spelling. Both Chrome and Firefox work with a spellchecker. It's easy to use for multiple languages. I use one in Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole and Catalan. The spellchecker highlights the misspelled word with a squiggly red line under it. It's quite helpful, even in my native English. Typos happen.

"Thing" and "think" can sound alike to a learner. "Thing" is a noun. "Think" is a verb. You can't "thing" something in English. The same thing happens with "use" and "used" when describing a habitual act in the past. In colloquial speech, native speakers will often elide the "d" in the phrase "used to". I do that myself... but I do not write that way. This can't be done in writing as it just doesn't have sense in writing. "Used" is a past tense. "Use" is a present tense. "I used to do" means in the past. "I use to" has no sense in writing except as a representation of dialect or colloquial speech.

The phrase: "They invited me to a climbing club" is not incorrect either. It just gives a sense of omitting what is meant here, that they invited you to join their climbing club- to become a part of their group. Just saying "They invited me to a climbing club" is somewhat unclear. They invited me to do what? To give a speech? To visit? Or perhaps to join their climbing club. To make the sentence clearer, it would be better to say "They invited me to join their climbing club" or "visit it" or "drop by" sometime- whatever meaning you want to convey.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum, Casvill!
4 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”