Revival of the Gothic Language

Practice your target languages here.
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Revival of the Gothic Language

Postby Iversen » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:36 am

I'm in fact reading "Lingua e storia dei Goti" (by P.Scardigli) these days, and it has a lot of etymological information and information about relationships with other language groups - not quite as much about the storia, it seems - but it's definitely not a book that can teach you the language.
1 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:26 pm

0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:45 pm

I have written a few things about Gothic in my own log thread (because of the Italian book I have been reading), and among other things I quote de Busbecq's Crimean wordlists from the 16. century.
0 x

SDG
Languages: Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, German, English, French, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, Hungarian, Turkish, Welsh.

Postby SDG » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:21 pm

There are a couple of videos containing both spoken Gothic and a reconstructed "Modern Gothic" here.

The account owner has a good grasp of IPA and has a nice selection of readings of quite obscure languages, alive and dead, usually starting with numbers, greetings, basic vocab and then a passage or two from the Bible or a folk tale (ostensibly to keep the language basic and free of loan words) in each language. A nice adjunct to Wikitongues.

Most videos are from material submitted by native speakers of the languages (obviously, not in the case of Gothic).
3 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”