English: Would someone please help me with my English?

Practice your target languages here.
allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Re: English: Would someone please help me with my English?

Postby allf100 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:31 pm

DaveAgain wrote:...

Hello DaveAgain! I have a few questions as below. Would you please give me a hand again?

1. I mean I prefer staying at home rather than going out. If this expression is outdated or rarely used, would you please suggest a common expression for this context?

a ˈhome bird:
a person who spends most of the time at home because they are happiest there:

source: Free Dictionary
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/a+home+bird

2. Should I use the plural of 'exercise' in 'lack of exericise'? I'm not sure whether it is your typo or not.

3. Yes, I mean a folding bicycle.

Thank you very much for all your corrections! :D
0 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:14 pm

allf100 wrote:

Hello DaveAgain! I have a few questions as below. Would you please give me a hand again?

1. I mean I prefer staying at home rather than going out. If this expression is outdated or rarely used, would you please suggest a common expression for this context?

a ˈhome bird:
a person who spends most of the time at home because they are happiest there:

source: Free Dictionary
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/a+home+bird

2. Should I use the plural of 'exercise' in 'lack of exericise'? I'm not sure whether it is your typo or not.

3. Yes, I mean a folding bicycle.

Thank you very much for all your corrections! :D
1. homebody
2. no.
1 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Postby allf100 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:06 pm

DaveAgain wrote:1. homebody
2. no.

I'm very grateful for your help again. Have a good one! :)
1 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Postby allf100 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:09 am

Hello,

Would someone please make suggestions on my text as below? Thank you!

Sit tight just looking up at the cloud rolls up or spreads.

This is a Chinese saying. When I was young, I thought it was simply a poetic description of natural scenery. Now I would interpret that as a philosophical idea. The cloud is a metaphor for everything in the secular world, and it changes from time to time. At this moment, the cloud is round; but in next moment, it would turn itself into flat. It is not necessary to have any emotional swing, because nothing is permanent just like the shapes of the cloud. We shouldn't indulge ourselves into things and situations, and lose ourselves, as they are just sunyata which means zero in Sanskrit. Just be calm and let it be.

Yet, easier said than done. That's why wise people advise 'life is practice'.
1 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

daveagain

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:19 am

allf100 wrote:Hello,

Would someone please make suggestions on my text as below? Thank you!

Sit tight quietly just looking up at the cloud clouds [as they] rolls roll [bunch?] up or spreads spread.

This is a Chinese saying. When I was young, I thought it was simply a poetic description of natural scenery the natural environment/a nature scene/a skyscape. Now I would interpret that as a philosophical idea. The cloud is a metaphor for everything in the secular world, and it changes from time to time. At this moment, the cloud is round; but in next moment, it would will/could turn itself change and be/become into flat. It is not necessary to have any emotional swing response to events, because nothing is permanent just like the shapes of the cloud. We shouldn't indulge involve/invest ourselves into in things and situations, and lose ourselves, as they are just sunyata which means zero in Sanskrit. Just be calm and let it be.

Yet, easier said than done. That's why wise people advise 'life is practice'.
1 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Re: daveagain

Postby allf100 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:55 pm

Hello DaveAgain,

Thank you very much for your help.

1. Can I use 'sit back'? When I wrote this piece, I meant 'sit back', but I didn't remember it then. It's not necessary to be 'quietly'. I can invite friends to join me.

2. 'Bunch up' is excellent.

It is not necessary to have any emotional response to events,

I don't mean we should live like a robot and we can't have any emotional response. But just try to be philosophical and calmly accept the facts, things and events which are undesireable or very desireable. In Chinese, being calm is also an emotional response. If you think 'emotional swing' is not good, would you possibly suggest another words for this?

For example, when my father past away many years ago, I was very upset for a very long time. If I had realized nothing is permanent indeed, and I possibly would have accepted the fact relatively calmly. (Actually, it would be very hard for me to be calm even if that happened today, otherwise I would be an enlightened person.)

We shouldn't involve/invest ourselves into in things and situations

I mean we do love other people, involve in all kinds of events, but when the situations, no matter whether it is undesirable or not happen, just accept them calmly, or at least response with a relatively moderate way, but don't ge to extremes.

We don't mire ourselves in our stubborn thoughts endlessly, but try to get out of them. - Do you think this sentence is more acceptable than the following sentence?

We shouldn't indulge ourselves into things and situations, and lose ourselves.
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:16 pm

allf100 wrote:

Hello DaveAgain,

Thank you very much for your help.

1. Can I use 'sit back'? When I wrote this piece, I meant 'sit back', but I didn't remember it then. It's not necessary to be 'quietly'. I can invite friends to join me.

2. 'Bunch up' is excellent.

It is not necessary to have any emotional response to events,

I don't mean we should live like a robot and we can't have any emotional response. But just try to be philosophical and calmly accept the facts, things and events which are undesireable or very desireable. In Chinese, being calm is also an emotional response. If you think 'emotional swing' is not good, would you possibly suggest another words for this?

For example, when my father past away many years ago, I was very upset. If I realized nothing is permanent indeed, and I possibly would accept the fact relatively calmly. (Actually, it would be very hard for me to be calm even if that happened today, otherwise I would be an enlightened person.)

We shouldn't involve/invest ourselves into in things and situations

I mean we do love other people, involve in all kinds of events, but when the situations no matter whether it is undesirable or not happen, just accept them calmly, or at least response with a relatively moderate way, but don't ge to extremes.

We don't mire ourselves in our stubborn thoughts endlessly, but try to get out of them. - Do you think this sentence is acceptable?

1. yes
3. Don't let events dictate your emotions? Stoics says something along the lines of, don't worry about things that you yourself cannot control.
4. We don't mire [trap?] ourselves in our stubborn thoughts endlessly in endless worries/fears, but try to get out of overcome them.
1 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Postby allf100 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:33 pm

DaveAgain wrote:

Thank you so much for your help. :D
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:51 am

Do you understand the corrections to your text title (Sit...)? Do you want to try writing a few similarly structured phrases?
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Postby allf100 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:59 am

smallwhite wrote:Do you understand the corrections to your text title (Sit...)? Do you want to try writing a few similarly structured phrases?

I don't understand what you are talking about above at all. Did I misunderstand something about the corrections?

I didn't put any title for my text. I just put the saying above my text.

What does 'a few similarly structured phrases' refer to? What phrase are you talking about?
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”