All languages

Practice your target languages here.
Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Re: All languages

Postby Cèid Donn » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:50 am

oho wrote:Oe a duc canc! Gé me saessa n muie bel chest thread. L'é n pecià che l no sibie più atif! Fosc podon troèr n argoment più aiegher del coronavirus :P

Hi everybody! I find this thread very good. It's a pity it's not more active! Maybe we can find a more happy topic than coronavirus :P

Gàidhlig: Tha gu dearbh. Tha mi cinnteach gum b’ urrainn dhuinn bruidhinn mu rudeigin a bharrachd air corònabhìoras agus chan eil cho uabhasach. :mrgreen:

Ri àm den bhliadhna a tha seo tha e còrdadh rium a bhith a' còcaireachd rudan nach faigh mi air dèanamh aig amannan eile dhen bhliadhna, biadh mar stuidhan tiugha and arain sònraichte. Cuideachd, far a bheil mi a' fuireach, tha fèill mhòr air an biadh Mheagsaganach a bheil "tamales" air àm na Nollaig. Am bitheantas bidh mi a' ceannach beagan tamales airson mo thleaghlach ach chan urrainn dhomh an ithe fhèin air sàilleibh mo fhuatha-bìdh.

Dè an seòrsa biadh as toil leibh ithe no còcaireachd aig àm den bhliadhna a tha seo?

English: Certainly. I'm sure we could talk about something besides the coronavirus that isn't as awful. :mrgreen:

During this time of the year, I enjoy cooking things that I don't get to make at other times of the year, like hearty stews and specialty breads. Also, where I live, the Mexican food "tamales" is very popular at Christmas time. I usually buy a few tamales for my family but I can't eat them myself because of my food allergies.

What sorts of food do you folks like to eat or cook at this time of the year?
0 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

oho

Postby oho » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:21 am

Cèid Donn wrote:
Dè an seòrsa biadh as toil leibh ithe no còcaireachd aig àm den bhliadhna a tha seo?

What sorts of food do you folks like to eat or cook at this time of the year?

Ladin: Mi piat preferì l'é l scodeghin co linses e piré. L'é n piat che chiò fajon tradizionalmenter per la marena da Nanef, endèna che scuton l conzert da Nanef de l'òpera de Viena o de Unejia te la televijion. Gé prefere la marena da Nanef ajache l'é fata demò co i parenc strenc: mère, père, i frèdes (e i giaves se i é endò vives). L'é n'esperienza più desteneta che la marena da Nadèl co duta la familia.

English: My favorite dish is cotechino with lentils and smashed potatoes. It's a dish that we traditionally make for New Year's lunch over here, while we listen to the New Year's concert of the opera of Vienna or Venice on the TV. I prefer New Year's lunch because it's just with closer relatives: mom, dad, siblings and grandparents (if they're still alive). It's a more relaxed experience in comparison with Christmas' lunch with the whole family.

Iversen wrote:For me the problem is quod non libenter rem eadem bis scribo - neque in duabus linguis scribens.

*Quickly google-translate it*
*L translata spedient co google translate*

Ladin: Chel é ben segur n problem. Screver doi outes la medema roba é mingol stufous. Purampò se volon prateghèr lengac mendres no aon alternativa...

English: That is definitely a problem. It's a bit boring to write the same thing twice. However if you want to practice a minority language you have no choice...

And so I managed to have some fun in spite of corona... :lol:

.. oh no, now I also have to translate that! .... :roll:
Και έτσι κατάφερα να έχω επίσης λίγο διασκέδαση από αυτό το νήμα. :!:

Che aste pa fat? :)

What did you do? :)
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:32 pm

I had fun simply trying to follow the rules without producing the simple and orderly kind of message that was expected from me.

I did however make two unforgivable errors:

1) the two last sentences (in Greek and Esperanto) aren't literal translations of the English sentence "And so I [...] managed to have some fun in spite of corona..." . I forgot to insert the word "also".

2) I forgot to translate the Latin passage at the end of "For me the problem is quod non libenter rem eadem bis scribo - neque in duabus linguis scribens". The translation follows here: "f.m.t.p.i. that I don't willingly write the same thing twice - not even (when) writing in two languages".

As for Latin and Google Translate they aren't on speaking terms - if you use GT with Latin you end up more confused than before.
1 x

oho

Postby oho » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:58 pm

Iversen wrote:As for Latin and Google Translate they aren't on speaking terms - if you use GT with Latin you end up more confused than before.

It did a decent enough job at translating the first bit :P

L'à fat n lurièr mingol da tant tel translatèr l prùm tòch :P
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:13 pm

"For me the problem is .. "?
(CAT) Questa peça de prosa mai no va passar per GT i Latin" (That bit of prose never passed through GT and Latin)
La resta ho va fer, i GT en var fer un desastre (the rest did, and GT made a mess of it):

... quod non libenter rem eadem bis scribo - neque in duabus linguis scribens.
GT: I write twice the same thing, he is not happy - and was not in two languages, in writing. :shock:
me: that I don't willingly write the same thing twice - not even (when) writing in two languages 8-)

IT: E visto che abbiamo ora spostato la discussione sul cibo (piuttosto che la corona), non mancherò di ricordare che faccio pizze più volte alla settimana. Quando compro carne al supermercato, di solito ricevo 400 grammi e questo è troppo per un pasto. E poi uso gli resti per fare una pizza il giorno successivo. E qui la regola è che nell'impasto ci devono essere acqua, farina, lievito e spezie, e deve essere spianato sottilmente - ad al massimo un millimetro. Ci sono due tipi di pizze italiane - fondo spesso e fondo sottile, una romagnola, l'altra napoletana - penso che quella sottile sia napoletana, e l''ultima è quella che preparo a casa (anche se la mia memoria mi ha ingannato quanto al nome). E ci vuole un sacco di condimento, ed è perfettamente accettabili usare anche l'ananas: ho sperimentato con frutta cachi e altri frutti e noci, e le uniche cose che non andarono bene furono la pasta, i porri (odio i porri!) e lo sgombro affumicato - ciò che è un poco strano visto che la mia pizza preferita nelle pizzerie sta quella con acciughe e capperi. E poi metto un poco di formaggio grasso sotto il ripieno: "bolle" il fondo in modo che diventi deliziosamente croccante.

EN: ANd seeing that we now have moved the discussion to food (rather than corona) I shan't fail to mention that I make pizzas several times a week. When I buy meat in the supermarket I normally get 400 grams, and that's too much for one meal. And after that I use the leftovers to make a pizza the following day. And here the rule is that in the dough there should be water, flour, yeast and condiments (!), and it should be rolled flat - to max. one millimeter. There are two types of Italian pizzas - thick crust and thin crust, one Roman, the other Neapolitan - I think the thin one is Neapolitan, and the last one is the one I prepare at home (even if my memory has deluded me concerning the name). And there should be a lot of fillings, and it is perfectly OK to use even pineapples: I have experimentated with persimmon fruit and other fruits and nuts, and the only things that didn't function well were pasta, leeks (I hate leeks!) and smoked mackerel - which is slightly strange given that my favorite pizza in the pizzerias is the one with anchovies and capers. And then I put a bit of fat cheese under the fillings: it will 'cook' the crust in such a way that it becomes deliciously crunchy.

IT (Wikipedia): Nel 2017 l'UNESCO ha dichiarato l'arte del pizzaiuolo napoletano come patrimonio immateriale dell'umanità. (...) :(

Il 9 dicembre 2009 l'Unione europea, su richiesta del parlamento italiano, ha concesso la denominazione di Specialità Tradizionale Garantita (STG) a salvaguardare la tradizionale pizza napoletana, in particolare la "Margherita" e la "Marinara". :shock:

EN: I couldn't care less :lol:

F6040a04_pizza_with_pieces_of_plum (right) and friends.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

oho

Postby oho » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:53 pm

Iversen wrote:... quod non libenter rem eadem bis scribo - neque in duabus linguis scribens.
GT: I write twice the same thing, he is not happy - and was not in two languages, in writing. :shock:
me: that I don't willingly write the same thing twice - not even (when) writing in two languages 8-)

Latin-Italian did better for the firt part and worse for the second.

quod non libenter rem eadem bis scribo - scrivo due volte la stessa cosa (I write the same thing twice) non è felice (non è felice can be "he/she/it/this/that is not happy", so it can be interpreted as "that is not a happy circumstance").

neque in duabus linguis scribens - e non era in due lingue, per iscritto - and btw, it wasn't in two languages... erm... :mrgreen:
0 x

oho

Postby oho » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:41 pm

What's the policy on this forum? Do we correct mistakes or do we let it be?

Qual è la policy in questo forum? Gli errori si correggono o si lascia fare?
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Mig igen, denne gang iført min moderatorhat: følg de ønsker som andre udtrykkeligt har angivet i klartekst, brug herudover din egen mavefornemmelse vedrørende relevansen og den anden persons reaktion.

Me again, this time wearing my moderator hat: follow the wishes that others have indicated in cleartext, otherwise use your own gut feeling as to relevance and the reaction of the other person.
0 x

oho

Postby oho » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Iversen wrote:Me again, this time wearing my moderator hat: follow the wishes that others have indicated in cleartext, otherwise use your own judgment.

Ok, thanks :)
Ok, detelpai :)

---

I'm not a pizza purist so you won't shock me with your pizza extravaganza, they definitely seem interesting ;) So I guess we've reached the point where an Italian talks about pizza uh? To be honest I wouldn't be able to pick a favorite pizza topping so I'm going to give a practical advice instead. Should any of you pop up around Florence and look for a good pizzeria, avoid Pizzaman, bad-mannered waiters, overrated, just meh. Pizzerias that I like:

- I'Giuggiolo
- Bounty
- Pit Stop
- Garibardi
- 'O Cor 'e Napule
- Aputeca

Is this even allowed? :? I'll delete this part if it's not. :oops:

No son n purist de la pizzes, scichedonca no me maraveerà co tia pizza certes, les vèrda fora enteressantes ben segur ;) Donca peisse che aon arjont l pont olache n talian rejona de pizzes, eh? A la dir duta, no saessa cernir fora n condiment preferì per la pizza donca daré consees concrec enveze. Se vegnide chiò a Florenza e chieride na bona pizzarìa, ve n vardède de Pizzaman, cheleres desmanieré, sorastimé, e en generèl bah. Pizzaries che me piajon:

- I'Giuggiolo
- Bounty
- Pit Stop
- Garibardi
- 'O Cor 'e Napule
- Aputeca

él pa consentì? :? Descancelaré chesta pèrt se no l'é. :oops:
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Thu May 27, 2021 4:37 pm

Eine interessante kleiner Dokumentation über die Entwicklung des Kassettenrekorder und über die Blütezeit der Kassette (und seine Wiedergeburt heute), mit den alten mixtapes-kultur usw. Ich habe auch ein paar neue Wörter gelernt. Ich gebe zu dass ich habe ab und zu auf die (Deutsche) Untertitel geschaut, als die Leute redeten ... die Hauptfigur hat manchmal einen schwieriges Akzent!

https://youtu.be/VQGZDNLc62M
2 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”